No sound with win 8 pro. Asus P8Z68-V LE mb, AMD Radeon HD…

Customer Question
No sound with win 8...
No sound with win 8 pro.
Asus P8Z68-V LE mb, AMD Radeon HD 6870 graphic card. Homebuilt.
Worked fine until I upgraded, then no sound to external speakers or headphones. Including internal alert. I can see the waveform but it doesn't reach the speakers, pdif or analogue.
Tried new realtek drivers etc.... Read full answer
No sound with win 8 pro.
Tried new realtek drivers etc.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Computer
1/11/2013
Tech Support Specialist: DrKlahn, Hardware Engineer replied 6 years ago
DrKlahn
DrKlahn, Hardware Engineer
DrKlahn :

Thanks for using JustAnswer, the internet's independent site for Q&A consulting. I'm "DrKlahn," and I'd like to help you with this question.

Notice / disclosure: JustAnswer is a commercial Q&A site not associated with any computer hardware or software manufacturer. The "9 second" banner ad means that the site answers 400 questions per hour - not that questions are answered in 9 seconds.

Please send me a short message when you're online and ready to begin.

DrKlahn :

(note 11:00 11-Jan-2013 -- No chat 12 min, save&wait pending customer joining session)

JACUSTOMER-l61yvqxi- :

hello DrKlahn, I'm on site now

JACUSTOMER-l61yvqxi- :

I have to leave in one hour, if you are available.

JACUSTOMER-l61yvqxi- :

Harvey

DrKlahn :

Good afternoon. I apologize for the delay; it takes some time for email to be delivered indicating that a customer is waiting.

JACUSTOMER-l61yvqxi- :

No problem

DrKlahn :

In this case I am wondering if Windows has assigned the Radeon as the "default" sound output device. If this were the case, none of the other sound devices would appear to work. Is this a possibility, do you think?

JACUSTOMER-l61yvqxi- :

I don't Know there hdmi jacks.

JACUSTOMER-l61yvqxi- :

How would i check That?

DrKlahn :

Since the Radeon incorporates sound ... one moment, I'll screenshoot my own system so you can see this. An example always helps, I find.

DrKlahn :

Full Size Image

DrKlahn :

(click anywhere on the thumbnail image above to bring it to full scale for viewing)

DrKlahn :

In this case we can see that in addition to my Creative sound card, there is also an audio device associated with my Radeon 4870. I had much the same problem when I installed the Radeon and it took a while to find this.

JACUSTOMER-l61yvqxi- :

I'll check it.

DrKlahn :

There is also an unusual problem in Windows 7, which may also be present in Windows 8, where there is more than one default device. Only one device can be the default; if more than one default device shows, neither will work.

DrKlahn :

I should mention that the above example is on my Windows XP system, and the sound configuration panels appear significantly different in Windows 8.

JACUSTOMER-l61yvqxi- :

I'm having trble find the defalt in win 8, I'm a new user.

DrKlahn :

Let me see if I can find an example on the Internet. Please bear with me a bit while I search ...

JACUSTOMER-l61yvqxi- :

I will look again.

DrKlahn :

Found this:

DrKlahn :

For Windows 7 and Windows 8:

1. Press the Windows key + R on the keyboard. In the Run prompt, type mmsys.cpl and then click OK.

2. Under the Playback tab, right-click the audio device you want to use.

3. Click Set as Default Device.

4. For recording; under the Recording tab, right-click the audio device want to use, then Set as Default Device.

5. Click OK.

JACUSTOMER-l61yvqxi- :

ok

JACUSTOMER-l61yvqxi- :

The speakers show as nothing plugged in and defaltt choice is shaded light.

DrKlahn :

The system shows you've been typing for five minutes nonstop, which seems unlikely. If you're having trouble with chat, please first try using your browser's "Reload" button to reload this session.

If that fails, try this: Bookmark (Firefox) or Favorite (Internet Explorer) this page in your browser. Close this window. Return to this page using the bookmark. This usually solves stubborn chat problems.

Then send me a short message to indicate the chat issue is resolved.

JACUSTOMER-l61yvqxi- :

I disabled the realtek hdmi enableb the analogue but still nothing

DrKlahn :

OK. Are all the volume controls set non-zero? If the main is set to zero, then the Wave can be all the way up and there will be no sound. Similarly, if the Wave is set to zero, the main can be all the way up and there will also be no sound.

JACUSTOMER-l61yvqxi- :

all volumes are up 100. I restored both realtek hd as default. The analogue port show as nothing attached. I can set a wireless port to defalt but i don't use wireless

DrKlahn :

Well, I must admit that this is a good problem. Have you tried the Windows sound problem troubleshooter at Microsoft's web site:

JACUSTOMER-l61yvqxi- :

I'll run it

DrKlahn :

As a foolish question, and I'm sure you have this configured correctly: Your headphones / speakers are plugged into the green output jack, and not some other color?

JACUSTOMER-l61yvqxi- :

a good question. on the rear - a 3 plug analoque cable all by correct color. It was working before

DrKlahn :

I am running out of ideas, I must admit. Windows 8 made this much harder than it was previously.

DrKlahn :

Would you like me to release your question back to the available question list, so that other experts can bring their knowledge to bear on the problem? The important thing is that you get an answer, not who supplies it.

JACUSTOMER-l61yvqxi- :

on the device manager only three outputs are shown, 2 realtek HD &HD/Video + wireless

JACUSTOMER-l61yvqxi- :

I guess as the analogue plugins aren't recognised they aren't shown?

DrKlahn :

Realtek "HD" is the analog input/output, in this case. "High definition" is their trade name.

DrKlahn :

Did the Microsoft sound troubleshooter offer any insight into the problem?

JACUSTOMER-l61yvqxi- :

not really any further insight. you could pass it on, if you thank you very much. I have to leave quickly.

DrKlahn :

I'll do that. I'll continue monitoring this session to see how things develop. I wish you a quick and successful conclusion to this problem.

DrKlahn :

(note 15:17 11-Jan-2013 -- Opt-out to allow second opinions on refractory problem)

Tech Support Specialist: Jason Jones, Computer Expert replied 6 years ago
Jason Jones, Computer Expert
Greetings,

Thank you for your question and your time today.

My name is Jason and I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.

Do you still need help with this problem? If so, may I remote into your computer and help you resolve the problem? I will send a remote link within minutes after your response, so please keep refreshing the page.

Thank you.

Hi Jason, there is no change to the problem.

Thank you.

Please, post a message here when you are ready for the remote link.

I will be online and available for the next 14 hours.

Hi Jason ready for remote link. Harvey

Thank you Pat.

My next remote session will be open in 25 minutes. Is that okay?

That's fine. My Name is Harvey

Thank you.

AFTER YOU CLICK THE LINK BELOW, you can continue.

Instructions for running the remote application:
- If you are using Internet Explorer, choose to RUN the application.
- If you are using Firefox or Safari, please, open the Downloads window and double click the Elsinore... application. (FIREFOX: In the top menu bar, click TOOLS > DOWNLOADS) (SAFARI: In the top menu bar, click Window > Downloads
- If you are using Google Chrome, please, click the Elsinore... button on the bottom left of your screen after it downloads.

Please, click the following link and allow the remote app to run: http://67.192.95.188:8040/?Session=6557d6af-c2d9-44cd-95fc-0a723a8a9df7&SUPPORT=NET

Will not set up after downloaded. Will try again

Are you having any problems with running that remote application after it is downloaded?

Which Internet browser are you currently using (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, or something of the like)?

fire fox

Please, try opening the link in Internet Explorer.

Thank you.

ok

On explorer

After you click the link, open the downloads window, and double click the Elsinore... icon in the list.

ok

I installed the Realtek drivers and it was working; however you stated that it was not working and no sound was coming out of your speaker system.

I have run out of ideas.

For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.

I wish you luck,
- Jason

thank you Jason

Tech Support Specialist: Rachel-Mod, Moderator replied 6 years ago
Rachel-Mod
Rachel-Mod, Moderator

I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the Professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the Professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Rachel

Hi Rachel, The Pros gave it a good shot but couldn't solve it. I think for now I'll take time to research a bit and knowing how your procedure works, will probably try again later. I should be more of an assistance to solving the problem later. Please cancel this session and many thanks

Harvey XXXXXXXX

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
My sound on my computer is muted and I can't un-mute it.
My sound on my computer is muted and I can't un-mute it. … read more
System/Network administrator,
My headphone doesn't work; not sure why. Stopped working a
My headphone jack doesn't work; not sure why. JA: What kind of computer do you have? Customer: hi Pearl JA: Have you installed any updates recently? Customer: yes; stopped working a few months ago JA:… read more
System/Network administrator,
I bought my Asus computer about 9 months ago d to this date
I bought my Asus computer about 9 months ago d to this date I cannot get any sound! so I really need your help? I have gone to the sound window and still no sound. I cannot lay y music or hear any vid… read more
Mr.Med
Mr.Med
Stop searching for answers—
I have a Toshiba Satellite L675 using Windows 7 64-bit. I forced
I have a Toshiba Satellite L675 using Windows 7 64-bit. I forced it to shutdown by holding the power button down until it shut off. It was interpretted as an unexpected shutdown and a B.S.O.D. conditi… read more
Nimman
Nimman
My name isXXXXX am unable to get any sound from my computer,
My name isXXXXX am unable to get any sound from my computer, over the speakers or head phones. I have tried other phones and speakers, download drivers and even reloaded the original disc that came wi… read more
IT Manager,
After installing my second graphics card my sound seemed to
After installing my second graphics card my sound seemed to stop working i have rampage iv extreme mobo.… read more
The A+ PCTech
The A+ PCTech
Ticket To Work Program,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
Hi, I have a samsung SyncMaster XL2370 and have just bought
Hi, I have a samsung SyncMaster XL2370 and have just bought a new Desktop PC (custom built). I have never turned on the PC until today and am trying to connect it to my monitor so i can start to use t… read more
Jess
Jess
building my own tower, antec 902 case, asus m4a89td pro/usb3
building my own tower, antec 902 case, asus m4a89td pro/usb3 motherboard, GSKILL RIPJAW ram (f3-12800cl9d-4gbrl) and sapphire amd radeon hd 6870 graphics, ram was on list of supported by asus for the … read more
Network & System Administrator,
I have a toshiba sattelite pro A120 laptop that has no sound
I have a toshiba sattelite pro A120 laptop that has no sound from the internal speakers. The headphone jack works fine. Ther is no conflicts or exclamtion marks in device manager. I have downloaded th… read more
Anthony Brewster
Anthony Brewster
I.T.,
Since installing my ASUS EN9500GT (1GT) graphic card, purchased
Since installing my ASUS EN9500GT (1GT) graphic card, purchased July 17, 2010, I have not been able to generate sound through the speakers built into my Staples SP2107W LCD monitor. I can receive with… read more
Tim W.
Tim W.
Computer Support Specialist,
Ryan...Satellite L505-S6946...speakers not working, device
Ryan...Satellite L505-S6946...speakers not working, device managers says working normally...no sound...paid $14....on your suggestion did system restore...speakers still not working...more help needed… read more
Jim Clark
Jim Clark
Web Developer/Database Designer,
I recently installed Windows 7 on my computer and immediately
I recently installed Windows 7 on my computer and immediately began experiencing shutdown issues. When playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 or Battelfield Bad Company 2 or usinf AVS Converter 6, I ex… read more
Tim W.
Tim W.
Computer Support Specialist,
Stop searching for answers—
having trouble with crashes at start up and when running certain
having trouble with crashes at start up and when running certain programs, start up the screen will just freeze and when running certain games (dragon age orgins is most common) it will either freeze … read more
Network & System Administrator,
can i replace the factory sound card in a hp tx2 with one that
can i replace the factory sound card in a hp tx2 with one that supports 5.1 surround sound… read more
Chris the Problemsolver
Chris the Problemsolver
Technical Sales,
I have been waiting for almost 3 hours and paid $15 to find
I have been waiting for almost 3 hours and paid $15 to find out why I cannot get any sound out of my new computer. I FINALLY GOT CUT OFF your web site. 3 Hours seems long enough to get a person on lin… read more
Hardware Engineer,
where do i find the specs for the Del studio xps 435 mother
where do i find the spec's for the Del studio xps 435 mother board. This is computer motherboard not heavy equipment.… read more
Computer Software Engineer,
i have a nvidia geforce 8800. I have a dvi audio plugged into
i have a nvidia geforce 8800. I have a dvi audio plugged into the computer and hdmi into the tv. I can get video and no audio in clone mode. I can get a blank desktop on my tv in dual mode and a norma… read more
RealGuru, MCSE/MCNE
RealGuru, MCSE/MCNE
i have in my pc an ati radeon x1250 on board. how can i change
i have in my pc an ati radeon x1250 on board. how can i change the graphic card and can i update to a better graphic card from ati or nvidia . or do i have to buy a new board… read more
Nicholas Ramsay
Nicholas Ramsay
Systems Engineer,