Google is my home page and I have Google Toolar. When I open

Google is my home page...
Google is my home page and I have Google Toolar. When I open my browser, it goes to the home page and then after about 10 seconds the address in the address bar changes by itself and I get the following message on the screen:

404. That’s an error.
The requested URL /-7890*sfxd*0*sfxd*0 was not found on this server. That’s all we know.

I have rebooted and redownloaded the Google Toolbar, but the error still happens. How can I fix this and get back to normal.

jcm
12/24/2012
The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager

The-PC-Guy :

Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to answer your question

The-PC-Guy :

what is the url of the page you see before you get the error?

Customer:

The url starts as www.google.com/, then after about 10 seconds it changes to the following The requested URL /-7890*sfxd*0*sfxd*0 was not found on this
server. That’s all we know.

The-PC-Guy :

what happens if you type www.google.com into your browser directly

Customer:

The url starts as www.google.com/ then after about 10 seconds it changes to http://www.google.com/-7890*sfxd*0*sfxd*0#sfmsg_undefined@@

The-PC-Guy :

obviously there is no such page. I'm thinking it is something called a browser hijacker that you have

The-PC-Guy :

which is malware

The-PC-Guy :

what site did you download the google tool bar from?

Customer:

When I open the browser and it first goes to Google.com then it does the same thing, i.e. I get the same error message whether I just open Explorer and go automatically to the Google home page or if I click on the Google button on the toolbar.

The-PC-Guy :

what browser are you using?

Customer:

I am using Internet Explorer. A day or two ago I was downloading some OCR software and I got four or five toolbars that automatically installed (Yahoo, AOL, and others) without my approval. I tried to delete (uninstall) them all. Could that be when I got the malware?

The-PC-Guy :

yup

The-PC-Guy :

ok

The-PC-Guy :

here is what you do

The-PC-Guy :

first you will need to write down the url of this page. with pen and paper so you can get back to me

The-PC-Guy :

as this procedure may affect your favorite

The-PC-Guy :

s

The-PC-Guy :

the url of this page is

The-PC-Guy :

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/7fhn1-google-home-page-google-toolar-when-open.html

The-PC-Guy :

your on windows 7 correct?

Customer:

Yes, I am using Windows 7 on a Toshiba Tecra laptop.

Customer:

I just cut and pasted the url that you wanted me to write down into a word document. I assume that is as good as writing it down by hand.

The-PC-Guy :

a system restore should not affect a word document

The-PC-Guy :

if this happens though, i believe this website sends you an email when I write a response with a link

The-PC-Guy :

so you should be able to get back to me that way

The-PC-Guy :

1. click the Start button.
2. In the search box, type System Restore
3. in the list of results, click System Restore.
4. If you're prompted for an administrator password XXXXX confirmation,
type the password XXXXX provide confirmation.
5. follow the steps in the wizard to choose a restore point(Preferably before you downloaded the ocr software)
6. after the restore you will have to restart the computer
7. then open your browser and type in the URL for this question that I told you to
copy and let me know how it went

The-PC-Guy :

those are the instructions to do a restore

The-PC-Guy :

in the future be careful where you download software from, many sites are infected with malware. Download only from a trusted source.

The-PC-Guy :

If you do a google search to find an application be aware that usually the first 4 or 5 results are adds. and those sites are usually infected with spyware.

Customer:

System restore sounds dramatic. Are we talking about changing all my settings? And what about my favorates, i.e. bookmarks, will that wipe out all my bookmarks?

The-PC-Guy :

the 5th or lower result is usually the official site

The-PC-Guy :

nope, nothing will be affected by doing a restore

The-PC-Guy :

only stuff that you worked on since you installed the ocr software

The-PC-Guy :

and got the malware

The-PC-Guy :

and that is only for system settings, you should not loose any documents, or favorites that you made prior to that date

The-PC-Guy :

this is not a full system restore. We are only going back to a point before you installed the malware

The-PC-Guy :

anyway, try it and let me know how it works out or if you get stuck let me know

Customer:

Well, after doing four system restores, I finally got the bug out of the Google homepage. It no longer chages the url to the non-existent page; however, the google toolbar does not seem to be working properly. It says that it is there, but the toolbar is not visible, i.e. no buttons appear.

The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager
The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager