how can I fix a windows boot manager problem without the Vista

DVD?...
how can I fix a windows boot manager problem without the Vista DVD?
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/23/2012
Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Computer Support Specialist

Steve Herrod :

Hi, I'll be happy to help with this issue

Steve Herrod :

is there a specific boot error you are getting with the Vista installation?

Steve Herrod :

and is the Vista installation 32 bit or 64 bit?

Steve Herrod :

the easiest solution may be to download a copy of the Vista DVD image and burn this so it can be used to repair the system?

Customer:

Not sure whether or not it is vista 64. Where would I download a copy of the DVD since my computer is not booting up?

Customer:

Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing or corrupt.

Customer:

Status: 0xc000014c

Steve Herrod :

thanks - just checking that

Steve Herrod :

looks like the Startup Repair from the Vista DVD is what is needed

Steve Herrod :

are you on another machine right now with a CD burner?

Customer:

on a a Mac Pro

Steve Herrod :

ok - we should be able to download and burn the image from there

Steve Herrod :

can you get to this site?

Steve Herrod :

if so, you should be able to download an ISO file from there

Customer:

and it will work on my HP?

Steve Herrod :

yes

Steve Herrod :

have used it on various machines before, including an HP

Customer:

What kind of disk do I need?

Steve Herrod :

CD

Customer:

I have a CD-R and that will work?

Steve Herrod :

yes, that should be fine

Customer:

That will take care of the first part of the problem. What is the suggested donation for the Vista copy?

Steve Herrod :

in the past I've donated $5

Customer:

Do I want to copy the Vista Recovery Disk?

Steve Herrod :

yes

Customer:

Is the Vista Recovery Disk that I want?

Steve Herrod :

yes, that's the one

Customer:

Okay. I'll give it a try.

Steve Herrod :

sounds good

Customer:

Having trouble with the ISO burning.

Steve Herrod :

ok, you should be able to do that from Disk Utility

Steve Herrod :

1. Start Disk Utility.

2. From the File menu, choose Open Disk Image and select the ISO to be burned.

3. In the list of volumes, you will now see an item representing the ISO file. Select it.

4. Click the Burn button and follow the instructions.

Customer:

Where do I find disk utility/

Steve Herrod :

should be under Applications-->Utilities

Customer:

I don't see applications

Steve Herrod :

do you have a Macintosh HD icon on the desktop?

Customer:

it is a MacBook Pro

Steve Herrod :

ok, can you hit these keys

Steve Herrod :

Command-Shift-U

Steve Herrod :

that should open the utilities folder

Customer:

Not sure how to download the Vista Recovery Disk

Steve Herrod :

this link should start the download automatically

Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod