I have installed PaperPort 14 Standard on my Windows 8 machine.

I have a Xerox Documate...
I have a Xerox Documate 152 scanner. The computer recognizes the scanner and I can scan documents directly but the PaperPort 14 does not recognize that the scanner is connected to the computer. I have downloaded the driver for Windows 8 from the Nuance website and installed it. Still no recognition of the scanner. Please Help.... Read full answer
I have installed PaperPort 14 Standard on my Windows 8 machine. I have a Xerox Documate 152 scanner. The computer recognizes the scanner and I can scan documents directly but the PaperPort 14 does not recognize that the scanner is connected to the computer. I have downloaded the driver for Windows 8 from the Nuance website and installed it. Still no recognition of the scanner. Please Help.
12/16/2012
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name isXXXXX am one of the experts who will assist you today!

Can you follow the steps on the page below, to see whether you have 32 bit or 64 bit windows 8?

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/windows-8-64-bit-32-bit.htm

Thanks,

Dustin S.

64 bit windows 8

Thanks.

Since paperport is working, and the scanner itself is working.. But just not together.

Lets re download and install the newest driver for that scanner.. It may jog paperport into seeing the scanner.

http://tinyurl.com/c335xko

Download it, and then with paperport closed. Please run that file to reinstall the scanner.

And then, restart the computer once the update is installed. Then test paperport, if it still cant see the scanner.. Let me know.

I strive to provide great service. Please remember to click one of the rating icons below and submit it when you are satisfied. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S. Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

That is the driver I had previously installed. Got it from the Nuance website. Did it all (reinstalled the software, installed the driver, troubleshoot the scanner and Windows 8 says it is fine, checked the driver and it says it is fine) and when the program says to select the scanner to be used the popup shows the scanner but when it is selected, the program does not recognize it so that the "scan" button does not become active. This is the same program that I used on my old computer (before a complete hard drive failure) so I know the software worked.

The driver I sent, came from the Xerox site.. Not the Nuance site..

I understand that you have tried this before.. Id like to try it again now that all the software is installed, and working.. Lets not uninstall anything.. Just reinstall the software link I sent you.

Sometimes repetition does the trick. So lets see if it helps, and if not.. We can consider other steps / options.

Sorry. I got it from the Xerox site not the Nuance site and I reinstalled the new driver you sent me and restarted the computer and the program with the same result. The software works in every way except recognizing the scanner. I can view all of the documents that I previously scanned, print them, etc. But the scanner is not recognized after I click on select Xerox Documate 153 Twain as the scanner. Actually, I have repeated these steps several times before seeking help.

Thanks.

So in Paperport 14.. Its actually seeing the xerox 153 twain scanner listed?

Is it seeing any other zerox scanner drivers listed?

It sees the Xerox 152 Twain and WIA and the WIA: JVCCAM_SD and the Twain: Microsoft LifeCam VX1000 which are attached to the computer as choices for the scanner to be used with the program. These are shown by Window 8 as attached hardware.

Ok, you have tried selecting the Xerox twain as the scanner.

Have you tried selecting the Wia driver from the paperport program.. ?

Yes, I have tried it and about every other permutation or combination. I think that there is either a glitch somewhere in the software or that Windows 8 is at fault. I know that some of the drivers don't work with Windows 8 even when they say they will. I have a laser printer that worked great with Windows 7 and does not have a driver for Windows 8. This is the first computer I have used Windows 8 and I am not really impressed. I will contact Nuance and see if I can download another copy of the registered program tomorrow. I will also look into Microsoft's offer to provide a fresh copy of Windows 7 to anyone who wants to go back to it on a computer preloaded with Windows 8. Thanks for you attempts to help. Have a good day.

You may want to consider dual booting windows 7 with windows 8.. as described on this page.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-dual-boot-windows-7-and-windows-8/

That way, you still have the tried and tested functionality of windows 7.. And can still also enjoy windows 8 when you want it.

Given time, Xerox and paperport and even microsoft will release updates, and its possible that one day when the right update is released, paperport will start recognizing the scanner again.. ( its also possible that you may need a new scanner made for windows 8, that paperport is also compatible with)

But dual booting will allow you to use some of the older programs t hat cant work with windows 8... It may be the best bet as software makers slowly transition from supporting windows 7, to supporting fully windows 8.

Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I am getting a new computer with Windows 10. I have read
I am getting a new computer with Windows 10. I have read that Paperport professional 14 does not work with windows 10. I also see various prices on nuance One. page says paperport pro 14 is $199 and i… read more
IT/Web Manager,
Installed Omnipage Pro18. Using HP deskjet 5590. When I try
Installed Omnipage Pro18. Using HP deskjet 5590. When I try to scan from Omnipage, I get a message "Invalid scan brightness setting." I have a new computer with Windows 7-64 bit OS. I previously had W… read more
LKT
LKT
I purchased Paperport 14 in the last 30 days, to update my
I purchased Paperport 14 in the last 30 days, to update my Paperport 12 so that I might more use of my Brother MFC J6710DW In trying to get the scanner which is part of the printer installed, the Pape… read more
Computer Technican,
Stop searching for answers—
capture assistant has to be unchecked in Paperport 14 Professional
capture assistant has to be unchecked in Paperport 14 Professional in order for the program to work properly with HP N6010 Scanner. Can you fix this conflict?… read more
Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod
Senior Customer Care Engineer,
My Paperport Proffesional 14 wont open. The program starts
My Paperport Proffesional 14 wont open. The program starts but it wont open. It just randomly started doing this.… read more
I am running Windows 7 on my Macbook Pro (Intel Processor). I
I am running Windows 7 on my Macbook Pro (Intel Processor). I run Windows 7 under VMWARE FUSION 4.0 Apparently, it "shares a network drive" between the PC and Mac sides of the system. Paperport 14 wil… read more
IT Manager,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I have been using Paperport for years -- both Standard and
I have been using Paperport for years -- both Standard and Professional versions. Unfortunately I have the same problem continuously -- it hangs or runs maddeningly slow. I'm currently running Standar… read more
John Tech
John Tech
I am unable to change scan settings In PaperPort 11. All profiles
I am unable to change scan settings In PaperPort 11. All profiles scan in 24bit True color 300 dpi, no options to change in any dialog. PaperPort Professional 11.2. Scanner is Xerox M20i, using curren… read more
MrComputer2010
MrComputer2010
We are using Paperport 12 with a Xerox Documate 152 scanner.
We are using Paperport 12 with a Xerox Documate 152 scanner. We periodicaly get the software locking up, I don't know if its an innerface problem or what. The current go 'round gives us the following … read more
Installed Omnipage 18. Using HP deskjet 5590. When I try to
Installed Omnipage 18. Using HP deskjet 5590. When I try to scan from Omnipage, get message "Invalid scan brightness setting." I would really like to scan from my Paperport 12 program using Omnipage, … read more
boxfrederick
boxfrederick
Free lance software developer,
I have my MX860 connected via USB to my computer (Windows XP)
I have my MX860 connected via USB to my computer (Windows XP) but Nuance PaperPort 12 does not recognize it. I have tried the PaperPort Scanner Setup Wizard to no avail. Any suggestions. John Shinall… read more
Jins M. N.
Jins M. N.
Systems Administrator,
Diplom
Hello, My paperport was working just fine before and one
Hello, My paperport was working just fine before and one day it just decided to not work anymore. I have called xerox and they insist that it is a paper port problem due to the fact that my scanner's … read more
It Support Specialist,
Stop searching for answers—
What to do if the Paperport 12 Scanner stopped working?
Why has the Paperport 12 Scanner stopped working? It requests installation of MSMXL 4.0. which is already installed. Re-installation of MSMXL and Paperport software does not solve the problem.… read more
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan
Bachelor's Program
My scanner has been working fine until today. Now it doesnt.
My scanner has been working fine until today. Now it doesnt. Need to know how to get it to scan and recognize Paperport 9… read more
Network & System Administrator,
I am running HP Pavilion, M9180F, running windows 7, 64 bit. HP
I am running HP Pavilion, M9180F, running windows 7, 64 bit. HP Scanjet 5550c. I just loaded Paperport 12 Pro on my system, Contacted Nuance Systems because program and computer would not recognize my… read more
Shawn Murray
Shawn Murray
Nuance Paperport 12.0. The send to bar is empty. When I try
Nuance Paperport 12.0. The send to bar is empty. When I try to add a program it locks up Paperport. I tried also to print a a document through PP and I get a message "Waiting for the program link to c… read more
I have a work centre 45 and need to install the scan to desktop
I have a work centre 45 and need to install the scan to desktop software. I run xp pro and have a server just for the scanning. The old server crashed and I can not get the new one to work. I can't ev… read more
Sandeep Pamarati
Sandeep Pamarati
Project Lead,
I have a xp sr2 computer and a xerox 665 Docuement workcenter
I have a xp sr2 computer and a xerox 665 Docuement workcenter fax, scanner printer I can get the computer to connect to the 665 intermittently how do I get it to scan to the computer and connect to th… read more
Freddy M.
Freddy M.
IT Technician,