Help! When my computer crashed I lost everything. I was able

Customer Question
to restore all but "Print...
Help! When my computer crashed I lost everything. I was able to restore all but "Print Shop 6.0 Deluxe". When I try to open it I am denied access. I have hundreds of important files in this program that I have been working on for over 10 years. I've been told that they are still somewhere in my computer but I may never see them again. I guess this program was designed for Windows 98 but I now have Windows XP which worked fine until the "crash". Can anyone please help. I am desperate!
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Computer
11/5/2012
Tech Support Specialist: Jess, Computer Support Specialist replied 5 years ago
Jess
Jess, Computer Support Specialist
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is Jess and I am glad to assist you today.

The system that crashed was Windows XP and you were able to recover after the system crashed. How did you recover, did you do a complete reinstall of Windows XP including the Print Shop software?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Hi Jess,

No, I didn't do a complete reinstall, I accidentally stumbled accross a notice that said "restore all files" and to click on the date I wanted to restore them to. The date options they gave me went all the way back to July 23 which is the date of the crash. I clicked on it and everything came back except for PS 6.0. By the way when I say crash I'm not sure if thats the right word. Some of my files and programs remained and were unaffected others were gone.

Thank you for that information.

Now, when you open Print Shop software, what exactly is the error message that you are getting?

Also, do you still have the installation CD for Print Shop?

Let me know.
Jess

"The following error occured while attempting to verify the maximum number of users allowed by the program."

"Error Number 5"

"Description:

Access is denied.

"Please write this error down, and refer to the trouble shooting guide for this product."

I can not locate the installation CD for PS 6.0.

Tom,

Thank you for that information. Please give me a moment while I check the error code.

Jess

OK

Tom,

In order to resolve this, we need to replace a file in your Print Shop installation. Please give me a moment to locate the file.

It involves replacing a file in the PS6 directory called USRLRES.DLL. Please try to search for that Print Shop 6 folder and locate the said DLL file.

Jess
I can't believe it! I found the original CDs! Just plain dumb luck. What do I do now?
Tom,

Before you use that CD, please go to your Print Shop 6 folder in C:\Program Files and please locate the file named USRLRES.DLL. You can also do a search for this DLL file and let me know if you found it.

Jess

I could not find USRLRES.DLL in a search but i searched for Print Shop 6.0 and found this:

Print Shop 6.0 Deluxe restore

Print Shop 6.0 Deluxe

The Print Shop 6.0 Deluxe

Uninstall The Print Shop 6.0 Deluxe

Tom,

First, please set your system to show hidden files and folders. Go to Control Panel => Folder Options.

Click on the View tab then check the option to "Show hidden files and folders". Click Apply, click OK.

Now, open My Computer and open Drive C. Locate and open Program Files and locate PS6 folder. Or it can be Print Shop 6 folder. When located, please locate the DLL file there.

Since you have shown hidden files, please do a search again and include in your search the hidden files.

Jess

Found it! There are 3 results from the search, all start with:

usrlres.dll C:\The Print Shop Products\The Print Shop 6.0 Deluxe\

then the 3 endings are

Press Writer 2.0

The Print Shop 6.0

Web Site Designer 1.0

I could not find it in the program files. Search took a long time.

Tom,

Thank you for that information.

Now, please go to this path shown as:
C:\The Print Shop Products\The Print Shop 6.0 Deluxe\

In that path, please locate the file named usrlres.dll. When found, please CUT it then paste it somewhere like in Desktop screen or My Documents.

When done, please use the CD to Re-install the Print Shop software. This will then restore the good copy of the usrlres.dll which is causing the problem. Just follow the on-screen procedures during the installation of the PS program then the problem shall be corrected.

Please be sure to rate my answer with 3 or more stars/faces if this helped. Keep me posted with your results so that I can help you further. If you have further question, please DO NOT rate my answer with 1-2 stars/faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Hopefully this is my last question. When i go to reinstall the program the only option it gives me is to remove all components of this program. Do I do this before reinstalling it?

Tom,

We will change the route now since the installer won't "overwrite" since it is asking you to remove first before installing anew.

Now, please make sure that you COPIED (through cut and paste) the usrlres.dll as backup. Now, please do this:
  1. Please uninstall the software first
  2. After uninstalling, you might be prompted to restart, please do so
  3. BEFORE you install, please go to this path:
  4. Now, make sure that the folder "The Print Shop 6.0 Deluxe", where the DLL resides, is REMOVED. This is to ensure that the DLL is removed so that when you reinstall, a new copy will be placed in the folder
  5. When done removing the folder, please load the disc then proceed with the installation

Best regards,
Jess

Hello again Jess. You might be gone home for the night. If so, I'll contact you tomorrow.

All my files were restored, hundreds of them, but I can't open them. They all say its not a valid bitmap file if I try to open them in "Paint". Also I'm still getting "access denied" on Print Shop 6.0 as well as individual files if I try to open them with "open".

Tom,

Thank you for writing back. Were you able to reinstall the PS6 software? And are you saying that it still giving you the same error message [error 5]?

Now, please tell me if you have a logical hard disk drive there where you can install it, like Drive D or E.

Keep me posted.
Jess
Jess
Jess
Jess, Computer Support Specialist