Techie_Ben
Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Experience:  Software Engineer and Support Professional
8287049

I have a computer as a server, the other computers can see

I have a computer as a server, the other computers can see it in the network but can't talk to it it worked one day, didn't work the next morning.

jstinehelfer :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an expert with JustAnswer.com. Thank you so much for using our services. Hopefully we can resolve your problem together. I am sorry your having trouble today and understand your frustration.

jstinehelfer :

There is a few things to check here to see what is going on.

jstinehelfer :

The computer that is a server can you tell me what Operating System is on this computer please?

Customer:

Windows 7

jstinehelfer :

Sorry I was not here when you responded. I had to pick up my little girl from school.

jstinehelfer :

You say you can see the server on the other computers in the network section. What happens when you click on the server on the other computer?

jstinehelfer :

Are all you computers Windows 7?

jstinehelfer :

Something else you can try is on another machine open up My Computer or Computer depending on what OS is on them. Up in the address bar click up there and backspace My Computer or Computer out. Type the following

jstinehelfer :

\\computername and press enter

jstinehelfer :

You will need to know the name of the server and replace it with computername

jstinehelfer :

This should take you to the shared folders of the Windows 7 server. Or it will generate an error so we can determine better what is going on.

jstinehelfer :

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/windows-7/network-and-sharing-center-windows-7-overview/ <click link and check advanced sharing settings

jstinehelfer :

Also we might need to use ping to ping the IP address of the server from one of the other computers. And ping the computer name as well. If pinging the computer name does not work and the IP does work then we need to edit the host file to put an entry in there for the server name and IP.

jstinehelfer :

If you get stuck on need more specific instructions

let me know.

jstinehelfer :

Remember, if for any reason you’re unsatisfied, we can continue our conversation until you’ve received the information you’re looking for. If I haven’t answered your question, please let me know and I’ll be happy to answer any other follow-up questions you might have. If your happy with my answer please leave me a positive rating.

If you need my help on future problems you can find me by going to http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-john-stinehelfer/ please save this link for future use.

Customer:

The program I'm trying to run is on the server computer with a name. The other computers have that name in their network but when I try to get on the program it says a different name and won't let you change it.

jstinehelfer :

What program is that your running?

Customer:

It's a dispatching and Estimating program called DSM have been running it for 9 years and when I switched computers as the server it worked just fine till the next day .

Customer:

can you remote into it or is that out of the question?

jstinehelfer :

I do not have the remote ability but I can pass this to a technician that does if you like

Customer:

You seem competent just don't want you to lose the cash

jstinehelfer :

I do not mind sharing really. I would rather you get fixed faster. Please standby while I get a remote agent to help you.

If you are still willing to do a remote session we can have a look. Please click here to access the remote session.
Here's the link for the other machine:

http://67.192.95.188:8040/?Session=b0b667be-2a12-44d9-b122-f9307b9a072c&SUPPORT=JAVAW
Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Experience: Software Engineer and Support Professional
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ben was greatto work with Very Patient and dilligent wouldn't quit tilll he figured out all of our network problems. will recommend highly

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ben,

I forgot one older computer yesterday, with the network issues. can you tackle it?