Am using a Magic Jack Plus that I bought a few months ago,

and am experiencing a loud...
Am using a Magic Jack Plus that I bought a few months ago, and am experiencing a loud hum in the line on the phone that I can't hear conversations over. Don't know if the MJP has gone bad or if it is a sudden line problem. All has worked perfectly up until 3 days ago. My MJP phone # XXXXX XXXXX
8/22/2012
Jeremy
Jeremy, Computer Repairer
Hi my name isXXXXX would like to assist you with your question. I am an expert here on JustAnswer.com in the computer field.

How are you doing today?

It sounds like a grounding issue with the Magic Jack.

There are a couple of things that come to mind. I had a customer a few months back that had a similar issue with their Magic Jack device. It turned out to be a bad phone cord / phone. Do you have an alternate phone you could hook up to see if the humming noise exists on a different phone and phone cord?

If it has the same noise more than likely it has to do with the electrical outlet that the Magic Jack plus is plugged into. If you have it plugged into a surge protector try plugging it directly into the wall. If it is plugged directly into the wall try plugging it in to a surge protector or different outlet.

If this solves or answers your problem please press the ACCEPT/Rate Button and choose Excellent Service

If you have further questions or this does not solve your problem DO NOT yet press accept/rate and we will continue to troubleshoot until your problem is resolved :) Pressing Rate will end our conversation early.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Thanks for choosing JustAnswer.com!

That seems to have solved the problem. Thanx.

No problem Larry If you could please press the Rate button (an excellent service rating is most appreciated.)

If you ever need any help with anything computer related (even if it's not magic jack related)

Come see me day or night and i'll be here to assist you Sealed

My name is XXXXX XXXXX

Thanks Larry!

Spoke too soon. Next time the phone rang we were back to the same problem.

Hmm, did you swap out the phones? Also did you swap the line itself?

Yep. Went back to old Magic Jack standard and don't have hum. Guess I'll have to set it up again with my phone # XXXXX do without phone in bedroom.

I would almost have to say it is the outlet giving the noise on the line. Do you have a surge protector to test it on Larry? That would be the only difference between the Original and Plus and since the original works with the phone it would have to be the outlet.

If it's an older home like mine it may not be grounded properly but a standard Surge Protector should limit these electrical hums on the device.

You could always take the Magic Jack Plus back and use the money back to get a cordless phone set.

Also Larry I don't know if you considered this but you can go to the box phone outside of your house, disconnect the incoming line from the local phone company, then inside your house, instead of plugging the magic jack into a phone you can plug it directly in a phone jack.

This will make the whole house wired to use the Magic Jack on all the jacks throughout the house.

I have tried both the surge protector and the direct wall outlet. Have also tried setting up the old MJ and can't seem to get them to talk to me - wish there was a phone # XXXXX customer service. I'm really getting frustrated here.

Ah HA! Disconnecting the incoming line from the phone box out side eliminated the hum. We had 7 inches of rain in 2 hours the other nite and that's when the problem started. Think maybe we're on to something, as calling from my cell all 3 phones, which are cordless, received the call and no hum on any of them. Thanx.

No problem :) If you could larry please go ahead and press the Rate button. if you need anything else please let me know :)
Jeremy
Jeremy, Computer Repairer
Jeremy
Jeremy
Jeremy, Computer Repairer