Have a problem scanning, code: -706 and code; -1003 Can you…

Have a problem scanning, code...
Have a problem scanning, code: -706 and code; -1003
Can you help me which switch are set wrong?
8/14/2012
Jamie Lee
Jamie Lee, Computer Support Specialist

Jamie Lee :

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I would be happy to help :)

Jamie Lee :

what is the full error message?

Customer:

Hello Jamie

Jamie Lee :

hi :)

Customer:

The message I get is:

Customer:

Code: -706

Customer:

Value of some parameter error.

Customer:

And after that one another message:

Customer:

Code: -1003

Customer:

The scanner is a Microtek i 900

Customer:

End message

Jamie Lee :

ok just a moment please :)

Jamie Lee :

first check that the scanner is in the unlocked position and if it already is switch it to lock wait a minute and switch it back to unlocked and try to scan

Customer:

The scaner is unlocked, it was last 1000 scans and it worked good.

Customer:

I try to lock it and switch back to scan, okay.

Jamie Lee :

ok :)

Jamie Lee :

also is it set up as a network scanner or is it connected directly to the computer with a usb cable?

Jamie Lee :

and...when you say some parameter...can you specify the parameter it's listing

Customer:

It's dircetly connected with computer wit a usb cable.

Customer:

I really don't know which parameter, or parameters. The message gave only the numbers -706 and -1003. I could not find a list wit those errors.

Jamie Lee :

thats ok...just a moment

Jamie Lee :

by the way does it do anything at all besides the error code

Jamie Lee :

for example does the scanner warm up and attempt to scan

Customer:

The scans were not made, the engine simply stops and gives a code.

Customer:

I have locked the scanne and unlocked.

Customer:

I have switched off and started again.

Customer:

Now it gives a code: -1000, no response from scanner.

Jamie Lee :

when you go to start...control panel...devices and printers...is the scanner listed there

Jamie Lee :

do you have a different usb cable we can try

Customer:

No the machine works again, I will do a test.

Jamie Lee :

:)

Customer:

Same as before, it takes a very long time, longer as before and then it gives the same codes again.

Customer:

Any idea?

Jamie Lee :

and you don't have another usb cable that we could use for testing purposes

Customer:

No. This one is working a long time, is not touched or badly used.

Jamie Lee :

does the scanner lamp turn on when it is attempting to scan?

Jamie Lee :

or...does it ever come on

Customer:

Yes the lamp is shining, I can see that .

Jamie Lee :

did you say that you have xp...

Customer:

I suppose during working I must have switched a parameter. I didn't notice which one and tried to find out what went wrong. I couldn't find so I took the scanmaker cd to renew the software.

Customer:

Afterwards there was no improvement.

Customer:

Yes XP

Jamie Lee :

another thing is that microtek says that xp is not supported for this scanner model...but it sounds like its been working and then you changed a parameter...sorry to repeat but I want to make sure I'm understanding everything thats going on

Customer:

I heve right for my nose the CD of scanmaker i900.

Jamie Lee :

let me check on something really quick...i will be right back

Customer:

Written below is that it is fit for Windows 98SE/ME/200/XP and/Vista.

Jamie Lee :

it sounds like its right...and you believe that its simply a setting....do you have any other computers in the house we could set the scanner up on to verify if its a setting?

Customer:

N0, I am a humble man, I write/make books with many pictures, paintings and photographs.

Jamie Lee :

:) its ok

Jamie Lee :

just another moment

Customer:

No it's not ok, I still cannot scan, I am conviced the machines are ok, but some switches are in a wrong mode, a reset doesn't help.

Jamie Lee :

when you put in your cd what are the options you have listed

Customer:

Is there any other way to reset the whole scannersystem, like it is a new scanner. With all settings as it should be.

Customer:

I have scanned in all options

Jamie Lee :

do you remember when it started to malfunction

Jamie Lee :

like an aproximate date

Jamie Lee :

we could attempt to recover the pc back to before the trouble started

Jamie Lee :

there are also some programs supposedly on your scanners cd that has some tools we can use also

Customer:

I know those programs. but they are limited toe the computersoftwareTonight I was connecting with Scanmaker, they linked me on to your website, so I thought you are specialists in Microtek scanners. I believe you are a good computer specialist but this special programm need other specialists, a I right? Maybe you can connect me with a Microtek specialist, tomorrow, because it's late here in Europe.

Jamie Lee :

I understand...they don't list their error codes...I feel the easiest way would be to use windows to "turn back time" system wise to before the parameters ect were incorrect....but if you want to go directly to microtek's site they do have the option to email their tech support.

Jamie Lee :

If we were able to test it on another computer we could have checked the settings ...I think that the settings are stored on your pc and are not being deleted in full so they come back every time you reinstall.

Customer:

Well Jamie, if you find a solution, please send me an e-mail. If it works out good I will send you money for the time you have lost today.

Customer:

I will try tomorrow to recover the settings.

Jamie Lee :

I would go into device manager and uninstall the driver...then unplug and power off the scanner (disconnect usb cables also) then reboot the computer to remove any registry entries then make sure all back ground programs are off and your antivirus program is turned off then reinstall the software and drivers

Jamie Lee :

then if that doesn't work you can do the restore to an earlier date feature in xp (search for that in help)

Jamie Lee :

I will be here all week...if I find anything else I will let you know :)

Customer:

Thank you Jamie.

Jamie Lee :

anytime :)

Customer:

Would you know if I find what's wrong?

Jamie Lee :

yes that would be great :)

Customer:

Okay, you will hear from me.

Customer:

Cary

Jamie Lee :

great

Jamie Lee :

thanks Cary

Jamie Lee :

:)

Customer:

End of conversation.

Jamie Lee
Jamie Lee, Computer Support Specialist
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Information Systems Manager
Hello. My name isXXXXX will provide you with additional assistance.

There is current software for your scanner, and it's likely newer than what you have installed from the CD. Please go to the following page to download and install the latest Scanwizard Pro software for XP.
i900 Software Download Page

That will also re-install the drivers. If you have any problem installing it, go to your installed programs in the control panel, remove the previous software, restart the computer, and try the installation again. Let me know how you make out!

Cary,
Just checking in to see if you had time to try any of my suggestions and what the outcome was.
Thanks,
Jamie
Hello Jamie,
I haves witched off scanner, uninstalled all Microtek drivers and then installed the recent available drivers from the Microtek website.
They are: Main installer; CMS; ICC;IT8 and Help Files.
After that I connected and tried to scan.
It works very, very slow and shuts down after some time, then gives code: scan failure.
Then another:
Protocol state error.
Did you try restoring the computer to an earlier date to before the problem started? You should also try uninstalling the drivers and software then reboot...let windows load to make sure it removes registry entries...then reboot the computer but this time start tapping the f8 key as soon as you see the monitor come on...then choose safemode with networking...then install your drivers ect. Then reboot again and load windows normally...then test scanner.
I would also recommend going to start..right click my computer ..choose properties...then hardware tab...then click device manager...then find usb drivers...then right click on the root hubs and uninstall them...then reboot the computer...windows should automatically reinstall them...then do a manual windows update via .... start....all programs...windows update
Let me know how it goes :)
Jamie

Dear Jamie, I promised to keep you informed.

I have made thousand scans last year no problem before.
I resetted the computer back to the situation from 1rst August, when there
was no problem at all.
I have reinstalled all former drivers and deleted Scanpro\data in twain
(see file Troubleshooting, attached to i900 disk) , switched off fire wall
and other protection before I installled the Scanmaker i990 disk and still
I have the same problem. Update software did not help either. This morning I lend the computer of my neighbour, installed the disk and connected the scanner, still I had problems scanning. So I don't know what to do else. I have to find a local specialist to find out what's wrong.
Friendly greetings,
Cary