I have a PC running XP SP3, 16 MB of ram and all the icon on…

I have a PC running...
I have a PC running XP SP3, 16 MB of ram and all the icon on my desktop keep getting scrambled. Now I'm one of these old guys with a lousy memory so I have a couple dozen icons on my desktop so this is real confusing.

What's wrong?
What do I need to do?

I'm not afraid of tinkering I used to tech support before I had my... Read full answer

What's wrong?
What do I need to do?

I'm not afraid of tinkering I used to tech support before I had my strokes.
7/13/2012
Jess
Jess, Computer Support Specialist
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today.

What did you mean by your desktop icons are scrambled? You arrange them but when you restart, they do not show like the last you set them before you restart?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
I arrange them then when I open of close a program that refreshes the screen they go all coo coo out of order again.
Thank you for that information.

First, please bookmark this page or add to favorites so that you can get back to me easily any time.

Please do the following cleanup procedures to ensure that your computer is clean, safe, optimized and registry-error free.

A. Cleanup with CCleaner

NOTE: If you are using a program named Roboform, please do not proceed with CCleaner cleanup. Roboform Data will be removed by CCleaner.

Please download the FREE version of CCleaner from this link:

Download FREE CCleaner Here or this link http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

After you download the free tool, install it and run the scans and tests. By default, it runs CLEANER to cleanup from all system mess which includes all unwanted files, temporary files, temporary internet files, orphaned files and more. Make sure that all this mess that the Cleaner program has detected is removed. This will free up some space in your hard drive while speeding up your system as well.

Next, run REGISTRY Cleaner and fix the found problems. Run this REGISTRY cleaner several times and fix the issues until no issues will be found.

In order to run the Registry cleanup mode, open CCleaner, then look at the left panel of the CCleaner window. Locate and click the Registry link there and that should give you the Registry cleanup mode. Then click on the Scan for issues button. When the scan reached 100%, click FIX issues to remove the errors from your system. Then click the Scan for issues again then FIX whenever issues are still found. When no issues are found, close CCleaner.

B. Cleanup with Malwarebytes Antimalware

Please download the FREE version of Malwarebyte from this link:

Download FREE Malwarebytes Antimalware Here

After you download it, please install. During the FIRST RUN, when you are prompted for a TRIAL, you can just DECLINE. Then let it UPDATE.

After the updates are installed, please perform a QUICK SCAN. Then REMOVE all malicious files found and restart your computer as part of the removal process.

After the cleanup and the final restart, please check if the problem with your desktop icons is gone.

Please rate my answer with 3 or more stars/smileys if this helped. Keep me posted with your results so that I can help you further. If you have further question, please use the Continue the Conversation tab to reply to me.

Best regards,
Jess
Okay. will do and I'll get back to you.
Yes, please take your time and let me know your results so that I can help you further.

Regards,
Jess
Looks like that did the trick I got...

Registry Keys Detected: 1

HKCU\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\CLSID\{42AEDC87-2188-41FD-B9A3-0C966FEABEC1}\INPROCSERVER32 (Trojan.Zaccess) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Detected: 1

HKCU\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\CLSID\{42aedc87-2188-41fd-b9a3-0c966feabec1}\InprocServer32| (Trojan.Zaccess) -> Data: C:\Documents and Settings\John\Local Settings\Application Data\{a39b1b13-853a-84a1-6dee-eddb190a3085}\n. -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Detected: 1

HKCR\CLSID\{F3130CDB-AA52-4C3A-AB32-85FFC23AF9C1}\InProcServer32| (Trojan.Zaccess) -> Bad: (\\.\globalroot\systemroot\Installer\{a39b1b13-853a-84a1-6dee-eddb190a3085}\n.) Good: (wbemess.dll) -> Quarantined and repaired successfully.

Folders Detected: 0

(No malicious items detected)

Files Detected: 2

C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{a39b1b13-853a-84a1-6dee-eddb190a3085}\U\[email protected] (Rootkit.0Access) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

(end)

Things seem to be working well right now. I put the desktop icons back where they should and they didn't get re-scrambled, thanks.
Thank you for writing back.

I am glad that your computer is now working fine after the cleanup procedures.

Best regards,
Jess
Jess
Jess, Computer Support Specialist
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I understand that Windows XP will no longer be supported after
I understand that Windows XP will no longer be supported after April. When seeing if I can update to Windows 8.1, I am given the message that at least 1GB of RAM is needed to be installed before I can… read more
Computer Technican,
I have had a new PC built with Windows7 OS and with a partition
I have had a new PC built with Windows7 OS and with a partition for Virtual Windows XP in order to retain and continue to work with my Lotus123 business files. (I did contact you previously and you co… read more
active1065
active1065
Bachelor
We have an HP Compaq Presario -- XP Home. We have been told
We have an HP Compaq Presario -- XP Home. We have been told we need to as memory. How do we go about doing this?… read more
Computer Technology Consultant,
Stop searching for answers—
I have an emachines T3642 desktop that needs more RAM; I bought
I have an emachines T3642 desktop that needs more RAM; I bought a 2 GB RAM card and installed it, but the machine will not start back up. What is wrong?… read more
Anthony Brewster
Anthony Brewster
I.T.,
I am taking a PC computer course through PENN FOSTER online
I am taking a PC computer course through PENN FOSTER online school. I need someone very experienced in computers and terminology to bluntly give me test answers so I can finish the course on time. If … read more
Adam
Adam
I have a inspiron 2650 lab top com. I have 1.70 Ghz 1.19Ghz
I have a inspiron 2650 lab top com. I have 1.70 Ghz 1.19Ghz with 512 MB Ram. Are you able to increase the Ram and GHz on m existing lab top? Andrew Arbes Reg # XXXXX computer 76477-dem-001193-0010 ( I… read more
Managing Director,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I have A Dell XPS One desktop and can not run the game Civilization
I have A Dell XPS One desktop and can not run the game Civilization 5 on it. The first problem is that my gaming card does not seem to be enough. Is there any way to update this system to run this gam… read more
Ansh P.
Ansh P.
System Analyst,
My E-Machine is from May 2004 Model T2742 / T2885 / W2888
My E-Machine is from May 2004 Model T2742 / T2885 / W2888 Desktop with 512 MB of RAM Question - does my desktop have two 256 MB of RAM? If so, can I install two 512 MB of RAM? Office Depot has Kingsto… read more
Aastan
Aastan
Business Owner,
I have a Sony VAIO desktop, approx 7 yrs old, model number
I have a Sony VAIO desktop, approx 7 yrs old, model number PCV-RZ24G. I am told by everyone that I need a memory upgrade. It came with 512MB. I looked on the SONY website for the exact type of memory … read more
Tom K
Tom K
Assistant Information Systems Manager,
What kind of motherboard is used in a Dell Inspiron 546, w/AMD
What kind of motherboard is used in a Dell Inspiron 546, w/AMD Phenom II X4 820 (2.8GHz. 6MB) w/4xSATA II connectors?… read more
joytinu
joytinu
I have an old Compaq Presario 9642 that I used to run on Windows
I have an old Compaq Presario 9642 that I used to run on Windows 95. All I want to do is get an old program or at least its database off the hard drive, but I remembered how slow and prone to lock up … read more
Jeff Micono
Jeff Micono
I have an (old) G 200STM notebook running XP home w/SP3--which
I have an (old) G 200STM notebook running XP home w/SP3--which takes forever to boot up, and seldom lets me do anything--it's working on itself (disc R/W light is on almost continually). S/N is XXXXXX… read more
Santonu
Santonu
Hardware Engineer,
PGDCA
Stop searching for answers—
I have a Gateway E 6000 series with Windows XP Pro verion 2002
I have a Gateway E 6000 series with Windows XP Pro verion 2002 service pack 3 S/N XXXXXXXXXX Pentium (R) 4 cpu 266 GHz 2.65 GHz, 512 MB of RAM I need to speed this PC up as my internet serch time is t… read more
DRobertson
DRobertson
Owner/Technician,
can i get pc tune up on line or maybe my computer cleaned out
can i get pc tune up on line or maybe my computer cleaned out? It says my memory is low and I know there are unneeded programs and software on here that is not needed… read more
Computer Software Engineer,
I have a Compaq Presario 12 XL500 at home with Windows ME as
I have a Compaq Presario 12 XL500 at home with Windows ME as its operating system and 60 MB of RAM. Can I upgrade to Windows 2000 or XP Home and how much of an increase can I do for the RAM?… read more
Anthony Brewster
Anthony Brewster
I.T.,
Problem with explorer.exe using too much mem. usage when I
Problem with explorer.exe using too much mem. usage when I open a sub folder (with about 400 mb or more) in My Pictures folder. I have Win XP Media Edition SP3, 2 Gb of RAM, and 2.6 Ghz processor. I h… read more
Anthony Brewster
Anthony Brewster
I.T.,
Afyer your updates my LCD screen does not work. I have to
Afyer your updates my LCD screen does not work. I have to hitch up to an external monitor in order to see . This has been going on since last july 2008. I reinstall "out of box" software and the scree… read more
Anthony Brewster
Anthony Brewster
I.T.,
I have a compaq evo n610c and when im online the internet
I have a compaq evo n610c and when i'm online the internet runs very slow and i know it's not the connection because the internet is great on my other laptop. Why is this and if it's the memory what m… read more
ComputerRich
ComputerRich