The monitor backlight on my Toshiba Portege keeps going out.

Can I fix this myself...
The monitor backlight on my Toshiba Portege keeps going out. Can I fix this myself via the keyboard or is it likely to be permanently on the blink? Cheers XXXXX XXXXX
5/15/2012
John, Computer Support Specialist

John :

Hello and Welcome to Just answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX will be assisting you today

John :

Hello sir,is it just the back light or the screen goes completely blank?

Customer:

Hi John, yes the screen goes blank but not totally, I can see the screen images very faintly. A torch at the fron t of the screen helps.

John :

OH OK thanks for that update.so the external monitor works fine even if the laptop screen display goes half blank am i correct

Customer:

External monitor works fine. If I chose to view laptop screen, I can see images faintly but there is no backlight.

John :

Have you tried increasing the brightness of the laptop screen?

Customer:

Yes I have, this makes no difference. I should stress that the images I can see are extremely faint, dark and illegible. On a couple of occasions when I have toggled between both screens (ext monitor and laptop) and ext monitor only, the laptop monitor backlight has come on but this has extinguished itself very quickly. Now I can't get the monitor backlight to work at all, as if it has blown.

John :

OH OK it seems like the back light tube or power inverter to the laptop screen is not functioning also there is a chance that both are not functioning but most likely the back light tube that is causing this.

John :

This link shows how you can change the power inverter to the laptop screen http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2007/01/31/replace-screen-inverter-fix-backlight/
This link shows how you can change the back light tube (CCFL) http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2007/12/09/replace-laptop-backlight-ccfl-lamp/

John :

For both you need to open the screen part of the laptop

John :

CCFL tubes can cost from 15$ to 30$ and power inverter will cost 20 to 25$

John :

it is just a estimated cost

John :

Did you check the links i gave above

John :

???

John :

Is there anything else you like to know sir

John :

If you don't have further questions Please don’t forget to click ACCEPT button in the chat page. That’s the only way I get paid for the time and services that I have provided to you

Customer:

Sorry, I got stuck on the telephone. Yes I checked the links, many thanks, XXXXX XXXXX no way I can fix this myself. I shall have to find a repairer. I appreciate your help and would appreciate if you could recommend someone who could do the repairs for me. Many thanks

John :

Is this laptop still under warranty

John :

If its under warranty you can replace it for free from Toshiba itself if its not under the warranty still Toshiba is the best but they will charge more than others

John :

Is there anything else you like to know

Customer:

Many thanks for your help, but I seem to have lost the two links you sent earlier. Please would you resend. Other than that I'll follow up to get the problem repaired.

John :

here are the links again
Also you can try Geek squad for reparing http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Geek-Squad/Computer-Setup-Services/pcmcat138100050019.c?id=pcmcat138100050019

Customer:

Many thanks John for your help. I think that's all for now. Cheers

John :

you are welcome sir.

please don’t forget to click ACCEPT button in this chat page & leave a POSITIVE Feedback. That’s the only way i get paid for the services that I have provided to you. Some Bonus will be well appreciated

John :

Have a Great God Blessed Day

John, Computer Support Specialist
John, Computer Support Specialist