Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

how to get rid of SMART HDD virus?

Customer Question

how to get rid of SMART HDD virus?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Please try this: turn off your computer. Then turn it on, and right after the black screen with white text or the computer company logo disappears, press & release key F8 repeatedly until a menu appears, then you select Safe Mode with Networking (note: if there is no menu, then try the same steps again, but this time, press key F8 a bit earlier). Then login and click Start->all programs->accessories->system tools->system restore and restore the computer to any date before this issue has occurred.

Next, please go to Safe Mode with Networking again, then click below and click on Download Latest Version, to download and install the Malwarebytes Anti-malware software. Then scan your computer:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/
(Do not buy anything; just use its free feature.)

If that does not work, download and run the windows defender offline program and burn it to a disk, then boot from the cd/dvd drive to scan:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/what-is-windows-defender-offline

(download the 32-bit for windows xp)

Please let me know if there is still any issue later. Thank you.

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The virus has hidden my restore feature, and I can't access it, or find it.
In Safe mode, you can try to turn off system restore, then turn it back on and check:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405

If it does not work, please try my 2nd and/or 3rd suggestions in my previous reply. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do I get to the hidden system restore function to turn it off? The virus has hidden it somewhere.I'm already in safe mode
You can't; you can only scan. Were you able to turn off system restore, then turn it back on ? Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do I get to the hidden system restore function to turn it off? The virus has hidden it somewhere.I'm already in safe mode. How do I find it?
Just turn off the system restore, then turn it back on :

1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
  2. In the System Properties dialog box, click the System Restore tab.
  3. Click to select the Turn off System Restore on all drives check box.
  4. Click OK.
  5. Then do the same steps again to turn it back on.

If it does not work, you cannot find the virus yourself. You have to scan to find the virus. The the malwarebytes program and/or the windows defender program. Thank you.