Why Is My Monitor Not Going To The Sleep Mode?

Customer Question
My monitor will not go...

My monitor will not go into sleep mode. It stays on all the time. How do I get it to go into sleep mode when not in use?

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Computer
4/25/2012
Tech Support Specialist: Josh, Support Specialist replied 5 years ago
Josh, Support Specialist

Please RIGHT click on the desktop and select Personalize then click on Screen Saver

On the left hand side select 'Change when to turn off the Display'

Where it says 'Turn off the display' adjust it for the time you wish to have it power down.

Then click on SAVE CHANGES

I will not know if this works until the time I entered passes, correct?

Try adjusting the time for 1 minute so you can test it quickly

I changed it to 1 minute and have waited three. It is still on my desktop.

Please turn off the screen saver and keep the turn off display at 1 minute.

Make sure you are not touching the mouse or keyboard for the 1 minute

still not going into sleep mode. I am NOT touching the mouse, shaking the desk etc. I actually have left the room for the past five minutes and the room is still illuminated by the monitors.

Are you using a desktop or laptop?

If it is a laptop, is it plugged in or unplugged?
desktop

OK great!

Did you turn off the screensaver? (Turn it off, setting it to blank does not turn it off)

Make sure it says NONE

it is set to NONE.. i have it set to one minute and it has been 4. no avail

Do you have Magicjack installed by any chance?
i doubt it, i do not even know what that is. This is a new problem with the screen. It has always gone into sleep mode. I do not EVER change settings.. do not know how to do that. The computer is new (4 weeks). I have a virus last weekend (Saturday) from opening an attachment, called a computer tech, he came and cleaned it.. since then, my screen has been on. It is illuminating the office (attached to the bedroom!)

Please try running this Fix it tool ---> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Troubleshoot-power-problems

Then after that is complete try adjusting the settings again

ran the fix it tool.. reset settings. waited 4 minutes.. still not correcting issue... is this where i yell uncle, call it quits and go to bed?

I would like to continue troubleshooting but if you are tired and wish to go to bed then I certainly understand.

If that is the case you can always press the power button on the monitor each time you are finished so the light does not display or you can click on Start then select click the arrow next to Shutdown and select SLEEP.

Josh, Support Specialist

My monitor and computer will not go into sleep mode.. What am I to do?

Hi again,

Let's check to see if any programs are preventing it from sleeping.

1. Open Power Options by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, and then clicking Power Options.

2. On the Select a power plan page, click Change plan settings for the plan that you want to change.

3. On the Change settings for the plan page, click Change advanced power settings.

4. On the Advanced settings tab, expand Sleep, expand Allow wake timers, choose Disable when it's plugged in, and then click OK.

Try again

okay.. once again followed instructions. how frustrating! still not going into sleep mode.

As stated earlier, it used to go into this mode until this past weekend!

Open System Restore by clicking the Start button . In the search box, type System Restore, and then, in the list of results, click System Restore.

Select a date before the issue. (Click on Show more Restore points)
Your computer will restart, after the restart try again.

Note: Press CTRL+D to save this page as a favorite so you can return to it.

will i lose info from that prior date on???

I have alot of data i cannot lose!

You will not lose your personal files

okay.. i am still here.. was not in office yesterday.

New discovery.. if i am in a "program", computer screen does go to power save mode.. if i leave it on my MSN page, it does not..

If all programs are closed or minimized and ONLY the desktop is up, it does NOT go into sleep mode (the computer itself never goes into power save.. it used to, i had to move the mouse to wake it up) this is when actually the light on the front would be yellow mode vs blue for "ON"

Did you perform the restore?

yes and it is still the same.

OK now that you restored your computer, change the settings again
Josh, Support Specialist