How do you enable the TPM chipset on an HP ProBook 6565b N

Customer Question
otebook?...
How do you enable the TPM chipset on an HP ProBook 6565b N otebook?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Computer
4/9/2012
Tech Support Specialist: DrKlahn, Hardware Engineer replied 5 years ago
DrKlahn
DrKlahn, Hardware Engineer

Good morning. Thanks for using JustAnswer. I'm XXXXX XXXXX, a/k/a "DrKlahn."

I am not sure I'm following your question properly. The Trusted Platform Module chip in the 6565B is enabled by default. In fact, it cannot be disabled without damaging the machine to an extent where it becomes unbootable. TPM is "always on."

Is there a specific feature of the TPM you wanted to use?

The TPM chip is grayed out / unselectable under User Tools.
The only selectable item under User Tools is Drivelock.
The TPM chip is not enabled.
Yes, the laptop does bootup, but I am unable to modify the TPM.

The TPM chip is grayed out because it cannot be disabled and there are no user controllable options. If it could be disabled without damaging the laptop, it would be useless. TPM is not a user-modifyable item in any sense. There are no options, so there is nothing that can be modified.

The TPM chip needs to be initialized in order for Bitlocker to operate.
In the OS Bitlocker cannot be turned on.
Error is that the TPM is not turned on.

I will pass this question back to the available list so that other experts can bring their knowledge to bear on it. I wish you a speedy and successful conclusion.

Thank You for your effort and input.
Tech Support Specialist: Steve Herrod, Computer Support Specialist replied 5 years ago
Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Computer Support Specialist

I'll be happy to help with this issue - you can verify that the TPM chip is enabled by following the steps below

The embedded security chip must be enabled in the Quick Initialization Wizard or in the Computer
Setup utility.
To enable the embedded security chip in Computer Setup:
1. Open Computer Setup by turning on or restarting the computer, and then pressing f10 while the
“f10 = ROM Based Setup” message is displayed in the lower-left corner of the screen.
2. If you have not set an administrator password, use the arrow keys to select Security, select
Setup password, and then press enter.
3. Type your password XXXXX the New password XXXXX Verify new password XXXXX and then press
f10.
4. In the Security menu, use the arrow keys to select TPM Embedded Security, and then press
enter.
5. Under Embedded Security, if the device is hidden, select Available.
6. Select Embedded security device state, and then change the setting to Enable.
7. Press f10 to accept the changes to the Embedded Security configuration.
8. To save your preferences and exit Computer Setup, use the arrow keys to select File, select
Save Changes and Exit, and then follow the on-screen instructions.

Let me know how that goes.

Cheers

Steve
Steve Herrod
Thank You for the information.
I have resolved the problem.
There was not an admin password XXXXX in the BIOS.
After setting the Admin password XXXXX allowed access to the TPM and other aspects of the BIOS that were unavailable.
Yes, I know. This is the first time dealing with this version of the HP BIOS.

I do wish to thank everyone who helped in this matter.

Thank You
Great - I am glad it is working. Let me know if you need anything.

Cheers

Steve
Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod