my gateway computer (windows xp) (pentium) will not connect

Customer Question
my gateway computer (windows xp)...
my gateway computer (windows xp) (pentium) will not connect to the internet
I have a wireless router and an adapter on the computer
the computer indicates a strong signal
I have entered in the SSID and WEP password XXXXX but the computer will still not connect
my other computer also has a wireless connection and is working fine.
My provider Verizon advised me that it appeared to be a problem with the gateway computer and to contact you
Please advise what steps I should take to connect
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Computer
4/6/2012
Tech Support Specialist: Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist replied 5 years ago
Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist

Was the gateway computer working previously with your wireless router?

Don't you only need to enter the key (the SSID / wireless network name should show up automatically)?

Is there any error message after entering the WEP key?

Can you go to Start, control panel, internet options, connections, LAN settings and make sure all the boxes are unchecked, then click OK, OK, then check?

Can you click on Start, run and type cmd and click OK, and type ipconfig /all and press Enter, then tell me the result?

Please let me know. Thank you.
yes it was working previously with wireless router - may not have worked since we switched to Verizon from RCN as our internet provider. May have stopped when we shifted from RCN

Not sure what this means

done - still not connecting

Response includes
Default gaeway: blank
Netgear wg111v3 Wirelss G usb adapter
Media statemedia disconnected:

Please let me know. Thank you.
When you click on the wireless / network icon at the bottom right of the screen, what happens when you select your wireless network name and click on Connect? Thanks.
Computer responses read:

Broadband 2j85d2 disconnected firewalled WAN Minport PPOE

LAN
Wireless network Connect 9
limited or no connectivity Fir...

Local Area Connect
Network cable unpluged
Please right-click on My Computer, then click on Manage, then click on Device manager, then open/expand Network adapters and right-click on each of the items under it and click on Uninstall and confirm. Then restart the computer.

Please click on Start, Run, and type cmd and click OK. Then type each of the command lines below, one line at a time, and press the Enter key each time:

netsh winsock reset
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh int ip reset netshlog.txt

Then restart the computer and reconnect to your wireless network name and check.

Please let me know if there is still any issue later. Thank you.
Still not connected
When you click on the wireless icon at the bottom right of the screen and view available wireless networks if needed, do you see your wireless network name (and/or your neighbor's wireless)? Thanks.
only mine - 2j85Dz
So if you click on 2j85Dz and connect, what happens? Thanks.
still doesn't connect
Does it ask for the key when connecting? Is there any error message? Thanks.
yes - I enter it - I get no error message - but I can't connect to internet via explorer , firefox or any other avenue
Can you try this again: click on Start, run and type cmd and click OK, and type ipconfig /all and press Enter, then tell me the result?

If you connect the gateway computer to the router with an Ethernet/network cable, does Internet work? Thank you
Relist: Other.
I have been working on this for 2 hours and still cannot get connected - I have a signal but still cannot connect - it's now 130 AM and I can't continue working on it
tell me how I can continue at a later time
You can bookmark this web page in order to get back to me tomorrow. Please let me know the following tomorrow.

Thank you.
Ok
I appreciate your help - I will get back to you later
Jack
You're welcome. OK, see you. Thank you.
If needed, disconnect the power cord from your wireless router for a few minutes, then reconnected and check.

If that does not work, please reset the router: make sure the router has power, then use a paper clip to press & hold the tiny reset hole/button located on the back/bottom of the router for 10 seconds. Then wait a few minutes, then reconnect to your wireless and check.

Thank you.
Viet
Thanks - I will get back to you but I've been away from house since early
Friday - will try Sunday when I return
Jack
OK, thank you.