Accidentally deleted my Administrator Account in Windows 7.

How to recover?...
Accidentally deleted my Administrator Account in Windows 7. How to recover?
4/5/2012
Erik B.
Erik B., Computer Support

Hi and thanks for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

Can you do the following for me?

1. Hold down the Windows key and press the R key to open the Run window.
  2. Type compmgmt.msc and click OK to open Computer Management.
  3. Click the triangle next to Local Users and Groups.
  4. Highlight the Users folder and look in the right hand pane. Is there an administrator account there?
There is no Users folder after clicking on Local Users and Groups.

Ah is this Windows 7 Home or Home Premium?

And the account you deleted, was it the actual Administrator account or was it an administrator account that you created?

I'm not quite sure if it's Home or Home Premium. I'm pretty sure I deleted the actual Administrator account. It was not one that I had added. I added another account and THOUGHT that I assigned it Admistrator status, then went back and changed the original Adminstrator account to a standard user since most of my daughter's stuff was on there. But now both accounts are standard user.

Was the account you deleted actually named Administrator or was it something else? If it wasn't actually named Administrator then we may be able to fix this without reinstalling Windows. Let me know!

Nope, it was named Administrator.

Shoot. OK about the only way you are going to fix this then is to reinstall Windows over top of itself. Before we do that though let's try Nordahl's password XXXXX tool. You will need a blank CD-R to use this tool.

The main page of his website is here: http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

You download the actual CD ISO image from here: http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/cd110511.zip

Step by step instructions on its usage are here: http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/walkthrough.html

If you follow along with the walkthrough, you will get to the section where it lists all of the users and whether they are admins or not. Hopefully the built in administrator accout is still there and just locked/disabled. Use the appropriate commands to unlock/enable the account.

Please let me know if you have questions during this process as it can be a bit tricky. If this tool doesn't list any users as administrators then unfortunately we will have to reinstall windows. Good luck!

This looks like info on how to reset a password XXXXX I've lost it, which I haven't. How will this help?
I should have been more clear, I'm sorry. In addition to resetting passwords, this tool has the ability to unlock/enable the hidden administrator account in Windows 7, if it still exists. There will come a point in the walkthrough instructions where you will see a list of the users on your computer. At that point you can choose to unlock and enable the hidden administrator account if you see it there. I hope that clarifies things, sorry about that.

This download gives me options to open, save, & save as. What should I do?

You want to Save it, then when the download finishes, choose to open it. Then click on the Extract All button. This will create an ISO file. Insert a CD-R into your computer and double click the ISO to start the CD-burning wizard. Once you have the CD burned, turn the computer off and back on, then let it boot from the CD and follow the step by step walkthrough on the website.
I burning it to a CD-R now.
Awesome, thanks!

So now, I'll need to restart the computer and use this disk to boot, correct?

Yes, is the problem computer a different one or is it the one you are using now?
It's the one I'm using now. Is there another way for me to talk to you while I'm working on this?
If you have another computer you can use that. I believe if you have a smart phone or tablet you can also talk to me while doing it. We don't offer phone support at this time unfortunately.
I'll use my iPhone.
OK great that will work (I use my iPhone from time to time to access the site).
Okay. It booted. See lots of lines of stuff. I typed in d to automatically load drivers, but now it says please partition by number or q, d, m, f, a, l. At the prompt it says Select 1
For most of these steps you can just hit Enter. Try hitting Enter without typing anything and tell me what the next prompt says.
Now it says Yes, read write seems okay. Success! Step two: select path and registry files. DEBUG path: windows not found, winnt not found, winnt35 not found. What is the path to the registry directory?
Did you just try hitting Enter? If so, we might not be in the right partition. Let me know.
It's asking me to select which part of registry to load. 1 password XXXXX 2 recovery console 3 quit
1 - password XXXXX
Went back to step one
OK can you list the choices for me on step 1? I'm sorry know there are probably a few of them.
1 /dev/sda1 100mb boot.
2 dev/sda2 942327mb.
3 /dev/sda3 11440mb.

Or I can choose

Q quit
D automatically start disk drivers
M manually select disk drivers
F fetch additional drivers from floppy
A show all partitions found
L show probable windows ntfs partitions only
OK you want to choose number 2.
I can type [2] next to [1] but I can't type the 2 without the 1!!
That's OK that prompt is a little misleading. The (1) is the suggested partition, which is wrong in this case. When you type 2 it overrides that choice, even though it looks like it is just adding in. Just type 2 and hit Enter and it should go to the next section. Tell me what is asks you for.
Here's what I see:
Username
Administrator Admin. dis/lock
Emily
Guest
HomeGroupUsers
Turcotte

Select: ! - quit, . - list users, 0x
Or simply enter the username to change: [Administrator]

Excellent. Hit Enter and this will automatically choose the Administrator account. Then tell me what is asks.

Now the edit menu is
1 clear
2 edit
3 promote user
4 unlock & enable user account
Q quit
Excellent. Type 1 and hit Enter to clear the password XXXXX You should then be prompted to unlock and enable it as well. Please do so. Then let me know what it asks next.
Says password XXXXX & unlocked. Should I quit the program now & restart the computer?
Yes type q to quit and make sure you save the changes (you will be prompted to write your changes). When the computer comes back up you should be able to login to the Administrator account.
Hang on. I'll try. :)
Sounds good. Thanks!
OMG! It worked! I've been working on this for 6 hours today. You are awesome! I LOVE you!!!
LOL thanks! Just keep that CD handy and remember to make your user account an administrator again. Thanks again!
Erik B.
Erik B., Computer Support
Erik B.
Erik B.
Erik B., Computer Support