Are you Google voice for prisons?

Customer Question
Are you Google voice for prisons?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Computer
3/24/2012
Tech Support Specialist: Nalosin, Computer Support Specialist replied 5 years ago
Nalosin
Nalosin, Computer Support Specialist

Nalosin :

Hello

Nalosin :

I can try to help on your question

Nalosin :

Can you please explain do you mean your battery on the phone went dead

Nalosin :

Or your call was disconnected?

Customer:

the phone is not dead.

Customer:

the phone is not dead. Please you check this number that my son dials - XXX-XXX-XXXX, this number should ring this number -XXX-XXX-XXXX and it was not disconnected.

Nalosin :

I am not able to see the phone numbers, but Google voice has that function when someone calls you to Google voice number

Nalosin :

you get a prompt to choose if you want to respond to it or not

Customer:

For a few months our phone rang and the call came through great but now when he calls the phone does not even ring.

Nalosin :

Which phone do you have and which service provider are you using?

Customer:

Our home provider is Cox

Nalosin :

Does your son call you from Google Voice?

Customer:

I think because we set it up on Google.

Nalosin :

Ok.

Nalosin :

On Google voice you can set a number to be blocked when someone calls you. But you said that he is calling you

Nalosin :

that only means that you will need to contact Cox your service provider and check with them, why your son is not able to reach you

Customer:

Yes but now the phone won't ring. I called Cox and had them check the number. They called the number that my son calls XXX-XXX-XXXX and it rang my number.

Nalosin :

If you call him, does his Google voice number ring?

Customer:

I am not allowed to call him.

Nalosin :

Do you have another google voice account

Nalosin :

that he can try to call you

Customer:

I set up another number and it won't ring either

Nalosin :

Does he use a computer to call you?

Customer:

no just the prison phone

Nalosin :

I don't understand how he use a Google Voice to call from prison phone?

Customer:

this # XXXXX set up with google voice the area code and # XXXXX gave me. my son dials, and it rings my house phone anyone can dial this # XXXXX my phone will ring except it has quit working for my son

Nalosin :

I am sorry, but I will need to open your question to other Experts to help. Please be patient and when someone responds you will be notified.

Tech Support Specialist: Mr. Clark, Computer Engineer replied 5 years ago
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Computer Engineer
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer, a paid global support site.

Is your son calling you collect from prison?
No. He sent me instructions how to get a Google voice number so he could call much cheaper. I got the number and it worked for a few months and then stopped. He calls, I answer, the voice says to accept dial one. I dial one and then it goes dead. It did that a few weeks but now when he dials my phone does not ring.
You can try disabling the "dial one" prompt.

From a computer, go to http://voice.google.com and log in with the Google account associated with the Google Voice number.

Click on the gear icon on the right side of the page.

From there, go to the Calls tab.

For Call Screening change this to OFF.

Scroll to the bottom and click Save Changes.

Now see if it works or not. Report back to me.
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Computer Engineer
how do i get back to you
Save this URL : http://www.justanswer.com/computer/6fj99-.html

You can bookmark this page by pressing CTRL and D on your keyboard.
do I put this in a new folder?
You can.
My son called yesterday around noon and I thought we had the problem fixed but it wasn't fixed. How many day on my $38.00 do I have to get it fixed?
Can you explain what happened? He called and did it immediately disconnect?
The call went through okay but my son did not get the discount on the call. Google voice is supposed to cost .90 whereas before we took Google Voice his calls cost nearly $4.00. That's what it cost yesterday when he called.
I'm sorry, but your question was about the disconnect after the prompt for 1 to connect. I resolved that.

As far as the $4/minute issue, you would have to open a new question. As far as I know, the prison sets that rate, not Google.

Good luck.
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Computer Engineer