DrKlahn
DrKlahn, Hardware Engineer
Experience:  BSci: Electrical Engr., Industrial Engr, and Computer Sci.
63151004

I have a Sony Vaio PCG-61611L and I have experiencing some

I have a Sony Vaio PCG-61611L and I have experiencing some serious issues. It all started when my laptop would random turn off without warning. I then created recovery media from within Vaio Care. It had me create two disks. When it had me put in the second disk, it wouldn't acknowledge it and it kept opening my drive. I tried restarting it and using the disks over again, it wouldn't let me and said 'Operating System not found.' Now, on top of my original problem with the random shutoffs, I also don't have an operating system. Please help.
Category: Computer
Expert:  DrKlahn replied 5 years ago.

Good evening. Thanks for using JustAnswer. I'm XXXXX XXXXX, a/k/a "DrKlahn."

From the problem description, it sounds like the Vaio recovery media reformatted the system drive, then failed halfway through the process. If this is in fact what happened, everything on the drive has been lost and the only solution is to reinstall Windows from scratch.

If there was valuable data on the drive, then you should take it to a local computer shop (not Best Buy), explain the situation, and ask them to check the disk to see if anything is recoverable.

If there was nothing valuable on the drive, or if it was your intent to reinstall the operating system from scratch, you should first erase the drive using Secure Erase or the equivalent (q.v., http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/people/Hughes/SecureErase.shtml), and then use the Sony system restore DVDs to reinstall Windows. If Sony did not supply system restore DVDs, you'll need to obtain them from Sony customer service, as the only alternative is buying a retail copy of the Windows 7 installation kit.

If you're using Sony system restore DVDs, and the restore is failing, then the probability is that one of the restore DVDs is damaged. In that case, you'll need to obtain a replacement disk from Sony customer service.

I am sorry to report this.

If anything in this answer is unclear, or you'd like something explained further, don't hesitate to ask.

I have flagged this as an Answer, but do not Accept it until it is clear that the problem has been located and the answer is satisfactory. When the answer is satisfactory, please click "Accept" and I will be paid. If an answer is unsatisfactory, please let me know why, and how I can do better in the future.

Remember: Further discussion is always possible, even after an Answer has been accepted.