The company that was hosting my website is out of business.

My site is now down...
The company that was hosting my website is out of business. My site is now down. It was made with Joomla. How do I get the ftp files so I can find a new host?
3/9/2012
Mary
Mary, Computer Support Specialist
Hi, I'm Mary and I'll do my best to help you solve your computer issue.

Unfortunately there really isn't anything we here at JA can directly do to help you. The only way you can recover your files is if the hosting company has these provisions for their customers.

Can you tell me who was hosting your website? Perhaps I can find out a bit more.

Most reputable hosting companies do make their servers available for a certain period of time afterward for customer file recovery.

Savid Technologies in Tinley Park, IL

They are technically still in business but not "hosting" websites anymore......

They have not been very helpful. either.

Well, that is a bit of good news, since they didn't just pack up and leave in the middle of the night! (Been known to happen, leaving everybody stranded).

Just out of curiosity - how did you upload your webpage files to their server. Did you use a separate FTP client or did you do it through some sort of programmed web service they had?

They had it hooked up with Joomla and now I can't get in there either.

And this is the company that took them over, though I doubt contacting them directly would do any good. They appear to be more of an investment/capital firm, rather than a direct IT company.

http://www.techcapinvestors.com/contact-us/

Tried that.

They haven't replied yet. :-(

Do you know the ftp address or IP of the site you uploaded the files to?

I don't use Joomla, so forgive me if this question sounds stupid, but - did YOU select to use Savid as the hosting provider or was this something Joomla did for you? (I'm trying to narrow down who needs to be contacted)?

On my end, with my websites, I first selected by hosting provider and then used whatever tools to create my site. Then I just uploaded the entire thing to my host. But your situation sounds like perhaps that wasn't your experience.

I chose Savid.

I use to go to my domain name and add /administrator and I would log into Joomla that way.

Then it does sound like your experience is similar to mine and your creation tool was Joomla.

Damn! So obviously contacting Joomla wouldn't get us anywhere, as they had nothing to do with Savid directly.

Can you give me the name of your domain? Maybe if I poke around, I can find out something that might help.
When was the last time you were able to access your website?

Two or 3 days ago......

That is so very strange.

I just got off the phone with Savid and they said they hadn't been in the hosting business for at least 3 years! Which is really strange because I did a whois on your domain name and it says that it's active through August of 2013.

CLICK HERE TO SEE THE ENTIRE WHOIS REPORT

There are a lot of contact phone numbers on there, but don't get excited about those, as they are numbers for the organization that provides the privacy screen. (That's the option you choose to make sure your personal name, address, etc. doesn't show up in the whois report, which it hasn't.)

Anyway, one tiny piece of information from that might be helpful and that's the IP address (205.234.238.90). I just did a ping and it responded to me, so the server isn't offline, even if it isn't accessible via the HTTP (web browser) channel.

It DOES respond via an ftp request, though naturally I couldn't get in, as I don't know your login or password.

In a new browser window, type this:

ftp://205.234.238.90

You should get a screen asking for your login credentials.

Let me know if you are successful with that. Once you are in, you should be able to download all your files, but naturally that will depend on what specifically is happening on their end.

Curious to see what you discover.

Mary

Well that did help but brought me to another dead end.

Now my user name and password XXXXX not work. :-(

Oh CRAP!

Damn! ("Language!" I can hear my gramma saying in the background of my memory....).

At this point there's really nothing more I can do for you.

When I did talk to the MOST unhelpful guy (who I suspect lied to me) he did give me an email contact. He told me to have you send your details, etc. and he'd look into it.

[email protected]

The JA site here sometimes filters email addresses, so it the above came through as gibberish, it is

noc *at* savidtech *dot* com

I just hope noc doesn't stand for "not our concern!"

By the way, the telephone number I called was:(NNN) NNN-NNNN which is probably the same one you called. I pressed the number for customer service, but I was told that pressing the button for technical emergency would ring through to the same number.

That figures.

I do appreciate all your help and I will be sure to keep this open for when I do find out something.

Thank you for all your help!

One more thing I found which might prove, if not a solution, then a bit helpful.

Is this your website?

graphic
Yes
Go to this link:

http://wayback.archive.org/web/20110715000000*/http://www.twobecomingoneonline.com

You will be able to access various pages from your website back to, it looks like, 2002.

At the very least you can copy out text and graphics so if you aren't able to actually recover from Savid, this will prevent you having to recreate everything.

Good luck and all the best,
Mary
Mary
Mary, Computer Support Specialist

So......

Do I copy and paste everything?

How do I go about getting it back online once I have a hosting company?

I was thinking about using Register.com as a hosting company.....

Any other thoughts as it appears you are very knowledgeable.

Thank you.

I apologize that, since I'm in Europe, I'm going offline for the evening.

If you don't mind waiting until to tomorrow for me to respond in further depth then we'll resume our discussion then.

But as far as recoving the website data from waybackmachine, yes, you pretty much have to copy everything and either save it or paste it into another source.

What I'd like you to do in the meantime, since you in the US and it's still (depending on where you are) business hours - do try calling that stupid guy at the number I posted to you and send and email to the contact I provided.

I don't have great hopes for that, but you might be able to get further as you'll be able to provide the login and password XXXXX that I couldn't.
I have been able to download tar files from the other company, have a new hosting (godaddy) and it is set up through FTP but I have no idea what to do to get them online......
Mary
Mary
Mary, Computer Support Specialist