johnn mack
johnn mack, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Comptia A+ and networking certified. Certified in xp,vista,7, 6 years tech support
28647879

iTunes.exe-Bad Image

Customer Question

I'm getting an error message when I try to open iTunes, "iTunes.exe-Bad Image C:/Windows?system32?mssip32.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error." Ive tried Uninstalling all apple software, replacing mssip.dll file, registry/boot software. I don't have a system restore point far enough back to try either. I've tried a windows 7 boot/recovery cd but it says it couldn't fix it and also ran a sfc scannow, it recognized that there were errors but was unable to fix it.
Category: Computer
Expert:  johnn mack replied 5 years ago.

Hello there! Assuming u deleted everything listed below go to this folder and delete anything inside there. C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\

• iTunes
  • QuickTime
  • Apple Software Update
  • Apple Mobile Device Support
  • Bonjour
  • Apple Application Support
  • Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    I've already deleted all folders containing anything apple. I found an article I think on their website that even shows you what order to uninstall in and which program is first to last including all program files. Im pretty sure it has nothing to do with the iTunes.

Do the following to re register that file.

• click Start, type cmd in the Start Search box, right-click cmd.exe, and then click Run as administrator.
  •  

• At the command prompt, type the following commands, and press ENTER after each command:
  • regsvr32 /u softpub.dll
    regsvr32 /u wintrust.dll
    regsvr32 /u initpki.dll
    regsvr32 /u dssenh.dll
    regsvr32 /u rsaenh.dll
    regsvr32 /u gpkcsp.dll
    regsvr32 /u sccbase.dll
    regsvr32 /u slbcsp.dll
    regsvr32 /u mssip32.dll
    regsvr32 /u cryptdlg.dll
    exitNote Click OK if you are prompted.

• Restart your computer.
  • Click Start, click Run, type cmd in the Open box, and then click OK.
  • regsvr32 softpub.dll
    regsvr32 wintrust.dll
    regsvr32 initpki.dll
    regsvr32 dssenh.dll
    regsvr32 rsaenh.dll
    regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll
    regsvr32 sccbase.dll
    regsvr32 slbcsp.dll
    regsvr32 mssip32.dll
    regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll
    exit

• Note Click OK if you are prompted.
  • Restart the computer. Then reinstall itunes.
  • Customer: replied 5 years ago.

How long are you going to be here?

Ill be in and out all day/night
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Okay, Im going to try and do it here pretty soon. Before I do it, what are we doing?
    re registering files from windows. These files support applications that are installed. just make sure to do the above steps exactly as listed.
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    ok. Im uninstalling and deleting all the files now. I must've installed it again after wiping it clean. Ill give you a heads up when I get everything off and start on the registry. Thanks for your patience!
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok, I have everything uninstalled in the order shown above. I looked both in program files and program files (x86) and there were no apple files in either common files but I do remember deleting probably last week. Should I start with the registry now and then restart or should I restart and start with the registry steps?

Restart then do the registry fix

Ok it sounding more and more like your windows installation is messed up. Check to see if you have any service pack updates from windows update. If you dont our next step is gonna be to reinstall windows.Not what you want to hear but if the updates dont fix it the windows reinstall will for sure because it will copy all those.dlls from the disk reviving them to their original working state.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Im going to try a couple things. Ill keep you posted. I thought I might have to take the route of reinstalling but its still worth some fight, lol. Any ideas how to get this sfc scannow to fix the issues its finding?

Run sfc again and when it says iota can't repair select option 2 to save it as a text then upload it here. I want to see why it can't repair.
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi John,

So I keep running into problem after problem so looks like I dont have to many more choices. Im still going to try a few more things. If we decide to restore windows am I going to be reformatting my hard drive where ill lose everything. Is there a way just to load all original system files at boot up, like a partion or something. The only discs I have are the four I made when I bought the computer. I tried putting one in and didnt go any further cause it said I would lose all my data. Also Im a little skeptic if the os is on there cause from my understanding ever since they stopped coming with a real recovery disc you had to order it through the manufacture. Any ideas, tips words of wisdom, lol. Ill keep you updated before doing anything to crazy.

you might have a backup partition or ermergency one. What is the make and model of your machine?
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Basically what I need is a windows 7 full registry fix. Everything that I try and download for a solution I receive error codes. Im running a Toshiba Satellite L655 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OS.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Relist: Other.
    Hes doing fine, just want to hear some other ideas