I bought a brand new ASUS lap top U46E. It only makes the…

Customer Question
I bought a brand new...
I bought a brand new ASUS lap top U46E. It only makes the wireless connection to my home and mobile hotspots 10% of the time. Do you know what the glitch is or the best way to troubleshoot. I am within the return period and will have to return it if I can not sort this out. It is very troubling... Read full answer
I bought a brand new ASUS lap top U46E. It only makes the wireless connection to my home and mobile hotspots 10% of the time. Do you know what the glitch is or the best way to troubleshoot. I am within the return period and will have to return it if I can not sort this out. It is very troubling
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Computer
3/3/2012
Tech Support Specialist: Erik B., Computer Support replied 7 years ago
Erik B.
Erik B., Computer Support

Hi and thanks for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

A lot of times Asus laptops will ship with outdated WiFi drivers which can create this problem. Let's try updating the driver first to see if that corrects the problem. First, please perform the directions below to find out which WiFi card is installed in your computer:

1. Click the Start button on your computer and in the Search space type devmgmt.msc and then hit the Enter key.
  2. The Device Manager should open. Click the triangle next to Network Adapters.
  3. Please tell me exactly what is listed under Network Adapters. There should be at least two entries.

Thank you!

OK, this brand new ASUS comes with WiMax 4g, but when I bought it they told me that was only available through a provider called ClearChannel. Perhaps some of the Wi-max settings, which I do not need are bugging this up? Here is what I found,

Intel (R) Centrino (R) Wimax adaptors - was one of the headings

Then under Network adaptors I found:

Atherors AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller NDIS 6.20

Intel (R) Centrino (R) Wimax 6150

Intel (R) Centrino (R) Wireless N 6150

Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adaptor

Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adaptor #2

Good point about the WiMax. Please right click the Intel Centrino Wimax 6150 entry and choose Disable. After doing that, please do the following to update the driver for the Intel Centrino Wireless N 6150 adapter.

1. CLICK HERE to visit the download page for the Intel Proset Wireless software.
  2. Once there, click the Download button next to Wireless_14.3.0.6_S64.exe (the second choice.
  3. Accept the license agreement and the download will begin.
  4. Choose to save the download, then run it when the download completes.
  5. The drivers will be updated. Please test your WiFi performance.

If you are asked to reboot after the driver update, please do so. You can get back to me by going to www.justanswer.com and clicking on My Stuff -> My Questions. Thanks!

The My WiFi option pops up all the time, I guess this is what ASUS is calling their WiMAX, it also appears that they are implying I can use my device as a hotspot but that is not what I want.

I got a message that WiFi adaptors are available but do I have to find them?

Yes you can use your device as a hotspot and the My WiFi software is what Asus uses to control your wireless connections (both WiMax and WiFi).

Did you complete the instructions I sent? I believe that will correct the issue. If the driver update does NOT correct the issue, then the unit most likely has a defective WiFi card and should be returned. Thank you!

Erik B.
Erik B., Computer Support
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I need ur help in locating my phone number to make a payment
hello. i need ur help in locating my phone number to make a payment on my boostmobile hotspot device pls … read more
Alex Royce
Alex Royce
Why wont my acer let me connect to a hotspot. Acer labtop.
why wont my acer let me connect to a hotspot JA: What computer or device are you having trouble syncing? Customer: acer labtop JA: What Acer product do you have? Customer: where can I find the name JA… read more
Computer Technology Consultant,
My laptop seems to be having connection problems...can hard
my laptop seems to be having connection problems...can hard wire in pretty well and hot spot is also good but wireless is intermittent...is my woireless card going out? … read more
Michael T
Michael T
Stop searching for answers—
Trying to fix my windows 10. Crashed. Laptop with windows
Trying to fix my windows 10. Crashed. JA: What device or product does this involve? Customer: Laptop with windows 10 JA: What's the brand/model of your laptop? Customer: Asus u46E JA: What have you tr… read more
Moses C
Moses C
Bsc
How do I get my notebook made by Asus Out of the Netflix app
How do I get my notebook made by Asus Out of the Netflix app back to home screen … read more
Benjie
Benjie
Technical Support,
Just bought new Samsung phone j3,want to tether my new
Just bought new Samsung phone j3,want to tether my new Lenovo 10 tablet to my phone...how do I do that ?? … read more
Ken
Ken
President,
CET Electronic Technician
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
My Toshiba lap top touch screen rt side approx. 1/3 of
my Toshiba lap top touch screen rt side approx. 1/3 of screen is going crazy all kinds of colored line and panels. what could cause this and what can I do about it? … read more
Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing
Senior Engineer,
It's at megabuy chermside, really disappointed with Asus can
It's at megabuy chermside, really disappointed with Asus can you help?? … read more
Computer Technology Consultant,
I had Magic years ago. I'm living in Israel and I now need a
I had Magic jack years ago. I'm living in Israel and I now need a USA number that I can use to receive text messages here in Israel. Is that doable? … read more
Kris R
Kris R
IT Manager,
Computing
Help reset mobile hotspot password on laptop. Just the
Help reset mobile hotspot password ***** laptop JA: When did you last reset your username and password? Customer: Just the password ***** it in error JA: Have you installed any updates recently? Custo… read more
Uran
Uran
IT Consultant, Network and System Admin,
Network Administration
I do not know much about my lap top It was a gift. I updated
I do not know much about my lap top It was a gift. I updated windows was completed. Now I can not get into compoxe and now I have that e I want my orig stuff … read more
It Support Specialist,
I cannot control my mouse on my desktop. The wireless mouse
I cannot control my mouse on my desktop. The wireless mouse I have is not working at all. … read more
Isaac Franklin
Isaac Franklin
Associate of Science in Social Sciences
Stop searching for answers—
My laptop is offline I don't have wifi as I just moved I
My laptop is offline I don't have wifi as I just moved I just need to look at some docs I have on my lap top … read more
technicalcat
technicalcat
I'm texting from my mobile phone, can't access the
I'm texting from my mobile phone, can't access the pc update to windows 10, pic of trouble on image, please help me, thank-you… read more
AAS Information Technology
I have a Asus U46E 1-AWX model that is either in Stainless
I have a Asus U46E 1-AWX model that is either in Stainless steel or Alum. finish. I need to replace the keyboard and I am not sure of how to get the cover off the keys as it is covered with this alum … read more
jctservice
jctservice
Systems Administrator,
I have a 7" tablet i recently purchased on a trip and it was
i have a 7" tablet i recently purchased on a trip and it was working fine connecting to my hotspot. i get home and reset it for my wife and it will not connect now. i know the hotspot is working becau… read more
Support Technician,
My brand new Asus notebook ux50v (bestbuy) does not charge,
My brand new Asus notebook ux50v (bestbuy) does not charge, inspite of the little icon sometimes stating that it is. The moment however I pull the powercord out of the machine, it switches off, not an… read more
Computer Software Engineer,
I would like to know how the whole wireless network thing ...
Hello. What you are describing is an ethernet 10/100 broadband card, which will allow you to connect to an ethernet network via a cable. Ethernet cables (10BaseT and 100BaseT, also called Cat5 cables)… read more
Dave K
Dave K
Charter Captain & I.S. Director,