My screen is blank with a blinking cursor. Last night i had…

Customer Question
My screen is blank with...
My screen is blank with a blinking cursor. Last night i had a power outage while the laptop was on. How can i fix this?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Computer
3/1/2012
Tech Support Specialist: Diamond PC, Information Systems Manager replied 6 years ago
Diamond PC
Diamond PC, Information Systems Manager
Diamond PC :

Hi! I'm Dave

Diamond PC :

I will try to assist you

Customer:

Hi Dave

Diamond PC :

so you tried to discharge the capacitors already

Diamond PC :

by holding power for 30 sec

Customer:

yes. it did not work

Diamond PC :

what is the brand and model laptop?

Diamond PC :

do you see the intro screen to enter the bios at all?

Diamond PC :

still with me?

Customer:

yes i am

Customer:

i'm sorry...i'm also on call for my job while trying to fix this issue

Customer:

my response might be a bit delayed

Customer:

i can enter the bios

Customer:

it's a lenovo ideapad

Customer:

i'm sorry i have to go now. thank you for your time.

Tech Support Specialist: Carl L, IT Specialist replied 6 years ago
Carl L
Carl L, IT Specialist

Hi and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** have been repairing Computers Professionally for over 13+ years and currently own a Shop in FL.

A blinking cursor on post startup indicates a bad hard drive 90% of the time. The computer is trying to read the ID and data from the drive and isn't getting a response back. The other 10% can be caused by having an SD Card or Flash Drive Plugged into the computer while it's starting up.

If the computer is covered under warranty, you can have the Hard Drive replaced for free. If you have valuable data on the drive, I highly recommend having a computer tech do a full backup of the drive externally using Acronis, replace the drive, and transfer the data back to it. Hope this helps.

Please remember to press the accept button to show that I have helped you, and to

compensate me for my work. After pressing the accept button, the question is not closed and you can still post replies on this Q&A thread. If you still have additional questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Positive Feedback and Bonus's are always appreciated.

Thanks,
***** *****ndsey

it could definitley be the hard drive, but first we need to run diagnostics and possibly a Windows XP repair.