Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

I had a virus which kept locking up my machine. I went into

I had a virus which kept locking up my machine. I went into DOS and removed everything I could. Now I can't get back to original. I was just barely able to get to XP. I think I'll have to have you guys rebuild the software to orginal.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 5 years ago.

Please try this: turn off your computer. Then turn it on, and right after the black screen with white text or the computer company logo disappears, press & release key F8 repeatedly until a menu appears, then you select Safe Mode with Networking (note: if there is no menu, then try the same steps again, but this time, press key F8 a bit earlier). Then login and click Start->all programs->accessories->system tools->system restore and restore the computer to any date before this issue has occurred.

Next, please go to Safe Mode with Networking again, then click below and click on Download Latest Version, to download and install the Malwarebytes Anti-malware software. Then scan your computer:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/
(Do not buy anything; just use its free feature.)

If that does not work, what's the brand and model of the computer? Do you have the windows xp / recovery disk?

Please let me know if there is still any issue later. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've been all through that and since I deleted dircetories and screwed up the configiration of the hard drive I think my best chance is to get an RO to "eMachines" and ship it back for "revival".............
Sorry, can you turn off the computer, then turn it on and press at the same time the two keys Alt and F10 when the emachines logo appears on the screen in order to do a system recovery?

If that does not work, do you have the windows xp / recovery disk? How old is the computer?

Thank you.
If it does not work, you need the windows xp / recovery disk in order to repair and/or reinstall windows xp; if you don't have the disk, you can get it at the emachines website:
http://us-store.emachines.com/rcd/
; if emachines does not have the disk, you can get it at http://www.recovery-disks.com/

Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Don't have recovery disks, but have been able to load XP after I reformatted the HD. So right now XP is running, but I'm unable to upgrade it to Window's 7 again. The machine = eMachine EL 1358G-51W
What happens when you upgrade to windows 7? thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It won't go thru the install. I think I'm going to need to get an "RO" to send it back to eMachines. After I formatted the HD don't think there is anything left to recall, like a recovery program
You must install windows xp first if you want to upgrade to windows 7 (unless you have the windows 7 full version, not upgrade version)

You need the windows xp / recovery disk to install windows xp (see my previous links). Unless the machine is under warranty, emachines won't do anything. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thats exactly what I've done, but can't get Windows 7 UPGRADE to load....
So you've already reinstalled windows. What is the error message when loading the windows 7? Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hang around and I'll switch over to that machine and try it again
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry can't do that I've already broken the machine down....HOPING TO GET AN RO FOR SHIPPING BACK TO EMACHINES.