HP Touchsmart 300 won't turn on; need help

Customer Question
hp touchsmart 300 won't boot...
hp touchsmart 300 won't boot, fans run, but nothing else
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Computer
2/17/2012
Tech Support Specialist: ITTechChris, Technician replied 5 years ago
ITTechChris
ITTechChris, Technician
ITTechChris :

Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Chris and I'm an professional technician here to assist you with your question.

What you will have to do is open the back of the computer with a screw driver if you feel comfortable enough in doing so.

Please let me know so we may move forward.

JACUSTOMER-614pnx0e- :

Some how your message didn't show on my browser, I was stuck on the processing page. I am ok to open the back of my computer.

ITTechChris :

I am occupied for the moment, but at 11am I will be able to continue. I have the back of my pc unscrewed.
Ok, do you see any ram modules?
2 kingston 2gbs ram cards
Ok, I am ready to work on it.
The Ram module reset is when your ram inside your computer gets reset.
Lets do this.
1. Remove all power from the computer. Get a Phillips head screw driver and take off the screws on the side of the computer to remove the side of the computer.
2. You will then see the ram modules that look similar to like this picture in the link below.
http://shaboor.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Clean-Your-Computers-RAM.jpg
3. Remove the ram modules by hand. You will need to press outwards on the clips that are holding the ram modules in. There will be one clip on each side of each of the ram module. Once you have pressed outwards on the clips, it will be safe to take out by hand.
4. When all the ram modules are removed, plug the power in and turn on the computer.
5. You should a beep. One you turned it on, shut the computer off
6. After the power is removed again, put in the ram modules correctly in the slots
7. Connect the power and turn on the computer.
When you have completed these steps, kindly tell me what happens.
Ok, I just got back and completed the suggestions. Computer did beep. Reinstalled ram and turned the computer back on, but same deal. just fans. no screen.
When you did the steps and it beeped, did the screen turn on?

not sure, i had it turned around to work on the back.

should I do it again?

I tried it again and no screen at all.
Okay this narrows it down to 3 problems 1. Overheating issue with the Gpu 2. Bad CPU 3. Bad CMOS battery.

Do you see a watch battery that is on the back of the computer?

I think I found it

Does it look like a watch battery as round as a dime? It should say 3V on the battery.
it is hard to see because it is behind the plastic. but yes 3v. Should I remove it? replace it?
Please remove it.

Do you have a volt measurer?
i removed it and no, don't have a voltmeter
Leave the battery and remove the power to the computer for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes put the battery back in and put the power back in the computer and turn it on.
I tried that, but no difference.
Okay lets try this:

I am ready. Just tell me what to do. By the way, I really appreciate your help.

Not a problem my friend I appreciate you being patient.

Now, remove the battery and turn on the computer. Tell me what happens.
ok, something happened. It beeped, then a screen came up for about 5 seconds, then it when blank.
I replaced battery and nothing changed. please advise on what I should do.
Tech Support Specialist: The A+ PCTech, PC Specialist replied 5 years ago
The A+ PCTech
The A+ PCTech, PC Specialist
Hi, I'm Ron. Thank you for asking a question. I understand your system is a touch smart system. Do you have an external keyboard that you can use? Also, do you have any restore disks or windows installation disk?
I have restore disks and keyboard.
I have tried the restore disks and nothing happened.
I need you to try hitting the F8 just after the power button. Tap it a few times just after the power button to bring up the safe mode. Try this and let me know if you can get to that screen.
I tried F-8 already
When you said that you tried the restore disks, what happened? And was this since you were able to get a screen response with the other technician?
I have not been able to get a screen response in 4 or 5 days. and when I did it was only for a few seconds. the restore disks I made when the computer was still working. I have been unable to get them to do anything.
I have gone over what the other tech was trying to accomplish and now without the ability to load the restore yourself, I am afraid your only option with this kind of system is to take it to a certified HP repair depot and let them do the repair. If you had a windows installation disk, we could use it to do a windows system repair once we changed the BIOS to start from the cd/dvd drive. Without the proper tools, we can not repair this together, Ron.
Thanks Ron, I don't have a windows installation disk. How much will it cost to go to a HP repair depot and are their any other options.
If you are in warranty, it will not cost anything. If it is not, the repair should only be a minimum charge unless the drive has failed. In that case, you would have the cost of the drive included and an install charge.

If you contact HP for the outlet that they have certified, HP is much better about covering costs that other repair outlets will not. My point is that HP is excellent about covering failed parts while some computer repair place will never cover a defective part.

My guess is that it will be covered. If not, $45.00-75.00 if no parts are required.

Can you help me fix my problem without sending it in to HP?

Tech Support Specialist: Diamond PC, Information Systems Manager replied 5 years ago
Diamond PC
Diamond PC, Information Systems Manager
First thing I would try is attaching this to an external monitor... If this works, you have a bad screen or something having to do with the screen. You say the screen worked once, but not all the time so I think we should concentrate our attention there.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Diamond PC
Diamond PC
Diamond PC, Information Systems Manager