How do I get my name off Google search.

Customer Question
I believe this has been...
How do I get my name off Google search. I believe this has been hurting me on applying for a job. William [email protected]
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/11/2012
Tech Support Specialist: Chris L., Support Specialist replied 5 years ago
Chris L., Support Specialist
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

For the information to stop appearing in google and the other search engines it would either need to be deleted from the website which it is on or the webmaster of the website could tell the search engines not to index that page.

Basically the way it works is google has what are called crawlers which run around to websites and index the text of the web pages. When a user does a search for whatever, google then matches those search terms to the text in their index and displays the page as a result. All of this happens very quickly and is of course automated.

Google and other search engines are simply providing the results and since you do not have ownership of that website you have no control over google indexing it or not.

What you can do is a removal request. Please go to this link and fill out the form
http://support.google.com/bin/static.py?hl=en&ts=1114905&page=ts.cs

Choose web search and then choose - My confidential, personal information is appearing in search results (e.g. name, address, phone number, medical records).

At the bottom of the next page click "click whichever applies to you"

Clicking that will bring you to a form to request the page to be removed from results.

Eliminating the source of the problem which is that web page is the best way for sure. I would suggest you contact the site owner and see if anything can be worked out.

I am sorry there is not more I can do for you other then provide this information but unfortunately in a situation like this the above is all that can be done.

If you need further help or clarification of anything I have said please click "reply to expert" to let me know.

Thank You
If I do as you say Then will my name still come up
As long as your name is XXXXX XXXXX websites it is likely going to be indexed by google.

The best way is to not have any public information on the internet. For example if you have a facebook account you can set it to be private so no one can just search google and see all of your information.

Google may not remove whatever the page is unless it is listing your personal information. The best thing to do is get the information deleted from whatever website it is on.

If you would like you can send me a link to the information so I can tell you better how to proceed.

Remember like I said above, it is not really an issue with google, google is just indexing the content of websites. So the real issue lies with the website that has your information on it.
.
Did you post in that group your self?
I believe so?
Ok a couple of things to try:
Sign in to the group.
Locate the post you want to delete.
Click on the post's title to open the message.
You will see Reply | Forward | Delete at the top left of your message.
Click on "Delete". Confirm that you do want to delete message.
It will be instantly deleted from the group site.

Now you need to change your display name for your yahoo account so when you post in groups it is not showing your real name. Please see this article for instructions
http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?locale=en_US&page=content&y=PROD_GRPS&id=SLN2577&impressions=true

If you are successfully able to delete that post google will eventually update the results of the indexed and cached pages so your name will stop showing up. Changing your display name may also update the old post to the group with the new name and google will eventually update their index. Please not that the changes in google may take a couple of weeks before it stops displaying your name.

If you need further help let me know,.

Thank You
I canceled my account with Yahoo awhile ago thinking this would help. Would I have to sign up again.
Oh, if you do not have access to that account that could be an issue. Did you create that group or were you just a member?
Just a member
You still there
Allright since you no longer have the account that was used to create the posts you are not going to be able to delete it.

You could try and log into your old account but like I said if you did delete that account it may not let you as there is no way to re-activate the account.

I just checked it out some more and your profile on yahoo is gone so that is good.

Your only course of action I believe is going to be to get that post deleted from the group. This means you will need to try and contact the group owner and see if they can delete it for you . send an email to this address with the link to the post that says your name
[email protected]

It doesn't look like the group is active any more so that could be a problem and I do not know if they will reply to you.

My advice other then that is to create yourself an email address that IS NOT Customer or anything similiar to that. That way it could look to employers that it is just another person that has the same name as you.

Another technique is to try and bury the information by getting more content on the web with your name so if anyone googles it , that will come up first. These could be a facebook profile, or a linkedin profile. Maybe start a blog under your real name or something like that.

The trick is to separate your self from that yahoo listing. So not using Customer as you did on this site is a must!

That even someone does stumble across the yahoo listing they will not know for sure if it is you or someone else.

You can try using this yahoo form to report that your personal info is being displayed. Go here
https://io.help.yahoo.com/contact/index

And fill out the form as I have shown in this picture.
graphic

Hopefully they will be able to do something for you.

Also after you are finished with me and click accept. i will send this question to customer service to block out your information so this question does not come up in google as well.

Thank You
Chris L., Support Specialist
Chris L., Support Specialist