Error message: Microsoft Outlook cannot start the import/export…

Error message: Microsoft Outlook...
Error message: Microsoft Outlook cannot start the import/export engine. How can I fix this?
2/2/2012
Proggy
Proggy, Programmer

Proggy :

Hi, my name is Benjamin.

Proggy :

I will be glad to help you today.

Proggy :

Can you tell me what you were/are doing when you get this message?

Proggy :

What do you use Outlook for? Personal, business or both?

Customer:

We just got a new program called Prophet. It's a customer lead program. I need to import a database into Outlook. When I try to do that is when I get the message that Office cannot start the import/export engine. I DO NOT have the original Microsoft CD that came with my computer. Any way to fix this problem without that CD? It says to run Setup again, add and remove the program and to change the feature to "run from my computer"

Proggy :

Give me just a minute...

Proggy :

Can you clearify what version of Outlook you are running?

Proggy :

2007, 2010, etc.

Customer:

2007

Proggy :

Also, what type of "database" are you trying to import? CSV file, SQL database, something else? What is in this database? Contacts?

Customer:

excel

Customer:

customers

Customer:

There are over 500 of them in this database

Proggy :

Are you looking to add all of them to your contacts or are you trying to send an email? What is the end result that you are hoping to achieve?

Customer:

Adding them to my contacts. We send out e-mails on an as needed basis to our customers. This is our internal customer list.

Customer:

We also send out group e-mails on specials, etc

Proggy :

Let me sum up: You have an Excel file with a list of customers. You want to import them into your contacts list in Outlook 2007. You can then use these contacts to send emails to individual customers as well as groups of customers. Is this all correct?

Customer:

yes

Proggy :

Ok, good. We are on the same page.

Proggy :

Lets walk through together and see where you have the problem.

Proggy :

Click on "File" and then "Import and Export...".

Customer:

when I go to file

Customer:

OK done

Proggy :

Do you see the "Import and Export Wizard"?

Customer:

no, I get the error message right away

Proggy :

I see.

Proggy :

I take it that Outlook/Office was factory installed?

Customer:

yes

Proggy :

What type of computer? Where did you buy it?

Customer:

Dell and I ordered it online

Proggy :

I am afraid you came to the correct conclusion. You do need the disk to fix this problem.

Proggy :

The question now is how to replace yours.

Customer:

Do you think Dell would replace the disk for me?

Proggy :

The official answer from Microsoft is give in this knowledge base article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302822

Proggy :

They may, but they would almost certainly charge a fee.

Proggy :

That is the route I would take.

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the information and will contact Microsoft tomorrow.

Customer:

Good bye and thanks for your help! I would have never found that info on line!!!!

Proggy
Proggy, Programmer