Problems with dual boot grub 2 On a PC Asus “All-in-One”

Problems with dual boot grub...
Problems with dual boot grub 2

On a PC Asus “All-in-One” ET2400EGT I have fist installed Windows 7 professional. Then, after creating an ext4 partition I have installed Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot on it.
I have this problem.
Rebooting the PC the screen shows regularly the the screenshot with the the dual boot of grub 2 to choose... Read full answer
Problems with dual boot grub 2

I have this problem.
Rebooting the PC the screen shows regularly the the screenshot with the the dual boot of grub 2 to choose of the OS to launch. However I cannot choose the OS because the keys with the arrows do not work (probably my USB keyboard is disabled. The keyboard however works quite well once the OS is charged). I was suggested to enable the USB legacy in the BIOS but to the best of my efforts I cannot find this item in my BIOS (BIOS Type: AMI, BIOS Date: May 26th 201,
BIOS ID: 64-1203-000001-00101111-052611 Eaglelake-A1645000, BIOS Date: 05/26/11 11:08:31 Ver: 08:00:14 - 1203). Note that this version of the BIOS is the most update for my PC as confirmed by American Megatrends. Moreover I am not sure that enabling the USB Legacy will solve the problem. Can you help me. Thanks and best regards. Sergio De Rossi - Rome - Italy E-mail: [email protected]
1/23/2012
Lindie-mod
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

In have not yet solved my problem, so I'm still waiting for an answer.

Sergio De Rossi - Rome - Italy

E-mail: [email protected]

I have not yet solved my problem, so I'm still waiting for an answer.

Sergio De Rossi - Rome - Italy

E-mail: [email protected]

Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
OK. I look forward to hear something from you. Regards. Sergio De Rossi - Rome - Italy
Joshua C.
Joshua C., PC Technician
Thank Yo for using JustAnswer.com, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am going to assist you in your dual boot question.

Is there an advanced tab in your BIOS?
Yes Joshua there is. I hope you can see the photos. Regards. Sergio De Rossi - Rome - Italy
graphicgraphicgraphic
Thank you for the detailed information about your BIOS. In any of the other menu options (other than boot options) does anything mention USB?
No Joshua. I checked all BIOS menus and submenus. Nowhere USB is mentioned. Regards. Sergio De Rossi - Rome - Italy

May I suggest you to contact the ASUS technical support in your Country? I tried to get in touch with them but I didn't succeed. The Italian ASUS technical support works very badly. Regards. Sergio De Rossi - Rome – Italy

Hi Joshua,
I was suggested the the my problem is due to the fact that the buffer battery of the mother board is dead. Because it seems not very easy to open the ASUS All-in-One ET2400EGT I would like before to know your valuable opinion. Thanks. XXXXX Rossi - Rome – Italy
Sergio,

I believe I have found the solution to enabling your USB keyboard in GRUB. Before attempting this make sure you have an Ubuntu CD handy just in-case there is an error.

Log into your Ubuntu install
Use your favorite text editor and open /etc/default/grub
Add GRUB_PRELOAD_MODULES="usb_keyboard"
Save and Close /etc/default/grub
"sudo update-grub" to get this into the grub.cfg file.
Restart the computer and see if GRUB works correctly.

If the system hangs or keyboard doesn't work correctly let me know.
Joshua C.
Joshua C., PC Technician
Hi Joshua,
I'm not sure I undestood correctly what you told me.

I boot Ubuntu 11.10
When I'm into Ubuntu 11.10 I open gedit
Wath shall I type exactly into gedit to open /etc/default/grub?
Wath shall I type exactly into gedit to Add GRUB_PRELOAD_MODULES="usb_keyboard"?
I save gedit file and close it
I open a therminal and type "sudo update-grub"
I restart the computer and see if GRUB works correctly.

Don't be afraid of correcting me. I have to learn. I'm waiting for your instructions. Regards. Sergio De Rossi - Rome – Italy

Hi Joshua,
I'm sorry I'm not sure I understood correctly what you wrote.

I boot Ubuntu 11.10
When I'm into Ubuntu 11.10 I open gedit (not a terminal)
What shall I type exactly into gedit to open /etc/default/grub?
What shall I type exactly into gedit to Add GRUB_PRELOAD_MODULES="usb_keyboard"?
I save gedit file and close it
I open a terminal and type "sudo update-grub"

Thank You
Thank you for accepting my answer to your Computer question on JustAnswer. This message confirms that I have been paid for helping you.

Unlimited Answers
Start a free 30 day subscription >
Your Questions
Check the status of your questions >
Ask another question – Lawyers, Doctors, Mechanics, Veterinarians, and Experts in over 100 other categories are available 24/7 to help.

Thank you for allowing me to help you. I look forward to assisting you again in the future.

Sincerely,

Joshua C.

Your Transaction
Your Question: Computer
Payment: 32 €

Hi Joshua,
probably there was a misunderstanding. I still need your help until I solve my problem! Regards. Sergio De Rossi - Rome – Italy
Sergio,

Sorry for the late response I will clarify the instructions further.

Boot Ubuntu 11.10
Open gedit
In gedit click open and browse to /etc/default/grub
At the bottom of the grub file copy and paste

GRUB_PRELOAD_MODULES="usb_keyboard"

save gedit file and close it
open a terminal and type "sudo update-grub"
Hi Joshua,

I followed your instructions

Boot Ubuntu 11.10
Open gedit

GRUB_PRELOAD_MODULES="usb_keyboard"

save gedit file and close it
restart the computer and see if GRUB works correctly.

Except that I opened the grub file using the terminal because using gedit directly I was not able to save the file due to insufficent permissions

Unfortunately the problem was not solved. After restarting I was not able to use the keys with arrows.

Below I report all information. Regards. Sergio De Rossi - Rome – Italy

TERMINAL

[email protected]:~$ sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

[sudo] password for sdr: (I entered the password)

(gedit:2554): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Creazione del file "/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.KU408V" non riuscita: File o directory non esistente

(gedit:2554): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: File o directory non esistente

[email protected]:~$ sudo update-grub

Generating grub.cfg ...

Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-14-generic-pae

Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.0.0-14-generic-pae

Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-14-generic

Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.0.0-14-generic

Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-12-generic

Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.0.0-12-generic

Found Windows Recovery Environment (loader) on /dev/sda1

Found Windows 7 (loader) on /dev/sda2

done

[email protected]:~$

GRUB FILE

# If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update

# /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

# For full documentation of the options in this file, see:

# info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'

GRUB_DEFAULT="Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda2)"

#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT="0"

GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET="true"

GRUB_TIMEOUT="20"

GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`"

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

# Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs

# This works with Linux (no patch required) and with any kernel that obtains

# the memory map information from GRUB (GNU Mach, kernel of FreeBSD ...)

#GRUB_BADRAM="0x01234567,0xfefefefe,0x89abcdef,0xefefefef"

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)

#GRUB_TERMINAL="console"

# The resolution used on graphical terminal

# note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE

# you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'

#GRUB_GFXMODE="1280x1024x24"

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux

#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID="true"

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries

#GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"

# Uncomment to get a beep at grub start

#GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"

GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT="false"

#GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER="false"

export GRUB_COLOR_NORMAL="black/white"

export GRUB_COLOR_HIGHLIGHT="red/white"

GRUB_PRELOAD_MODULES="usb_keyboard"

Sergio,

I have gone through all the documentation for your BIOS and Grub install. It appears that your computer is not going to support USB keyboards in Grub or Lilo. We tried each of the "fixes" to enable USB support and they did not work.

Here is some information about Grub USB support:
A commonly-found problem when using GRUB is that it can't access USB devices (storage or keyboard) due to BIOS limitations.

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-soc.html

Asus could release a BIOS update that includes USB Legacy Support but it's very unlikely as the last update was in 2010.

I'm sorry that we couldn't get the keyboard working in Grub due to limitations of your computer and Grub.
Hi Joshua,

I found it possible to enable the keyboard by simply going into the BIOS by pressing F2 and exiting by pressing ESC. However, when I switch on my PC and press F2 it goes directly to the screen shot of grub without displaying first the screen shot where the key to be pressed to enter the BIOS is shown, as happened in the computer I had before. So, although I know what key is to be pressed to go into the BIOS, I can succeed in doing it. In order to make a check I would like the screen shot showing the key to press for entering the BIOS to be displayed at switching on of the PC. Is it possible? Many thanks in advance. Regards. Sergio De Rossi - Rome – Italy

Thanks Joshua for your help. I solved my problem. Sergio De Rossi - Rome – Italy
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I lost the local Administrator password on a local computer
I lost the local Administrator password ***** a local computer and don't have a reset disk. Is there a way to change it without a reset disk? … read more
Santonu
Santonu
Hardware Engineer,
PGDCA
I have error code 800703. i have error code 800703F9, having
hello, i have error code 800703F9, having trouble downloading microsoft.net framework 4.5.2 … read more
Aaron B
Aaron B
Computer Repair Technician,
Windows 7 can't complete installation because windows
Windows 7 can't complete installation because windows couldn't update the computers boot configuration … read more
Elgin Vega
Elgin Vega
IT Consultant,
Science Bachellor
Stop searching for answers—
I changed a password on my Win1o computer and now I cannot
I changed a password ***** my Win1o computer and now I cannot get on it at all. … read more
Kris R
Kris R
IT Manager,
Computing
I have a HP 500-164 with Windows 10. Before I did a recovery
I have a HP 500-164 with Windows 10. Before I did a recovery I saved my files to two external hard drives and did the recovery. I came back about 90 minutes later and the recovery was done but it said… read more
Studying for Masters Degree in IT,
when i boot up my hp pavillion dv6500 it hangs in a black screen
when i boot up my hp pavillion dv6500 it hangs in a black screen with flashing cursor. if i change the boot order and drop the cd rome drive below the hard drive the computer will boot ok… read more
Byron
Byron
IT Support Specialist,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I read SeekingAlpha.com (SA) on a regular basis. Beginning
I read SeekingAlpha.com (SA) on a regular basis. Beginning 2 June doing so with "javascript" enabled crashed my browser. SA is the only website where this behavior occurs. Without "javascript" I canno… read more
I have been experiencing display driver errors while playing
I have been experiencing display driver errors while playing the game Star Wars The Old Republic. I have pasted the event log information below. The screen will go yellow/blue/black/etc, then recover … read more
Brad
Brad
Which of the following is NOT an example of a network node?
I have a lot of multiple choice question. such as this one, I might have 350 questions Which of the following is NOT an example of a network node? a. an NOS b. a printer c. a modem d. a computer… read more
cvd4311
cvd4311
Computer Analyst,
hi, i dont know how to put this, but ill try. i cant burn
hi, i dont know how to put this, but i'll try. i cant burn CDs or DVDs i can use the drive on my PC to imput data but not burn data back onto disk. i have been online with microsoft and they say the p… read more
Paul E
Paul E
Computer Engineer,
I gave my grandson a Toshiba 2520CDT laptop operating on Windows
I gave my grandson a Toshiba 2520CDT laptop operating on Windows XP Pro. Unfortunately he forgot his password XXXXX I have not yet been able to get it back in action. I have tried to get it to open in… read more
Computer Technican,
My computer is a 3.4 Ghz Intel running Windows Vista home premium.
My computer is a 3.4 Ghz Intel running Windows Vista home premium. My problem started with Windows giving a (not responding) message on some programs. After a few second this resolved itself. I began … read more
Brad
Brad
Stop searching for answers—
Im dealing with an older computer with Ubuntu and Windows
I'm dealing with an older computer with Ubuntu and Windows XP both installed. Someone decided the best way to uninstall Ubuntu was to set it as the preferred operating system via the Window's control … read more
DRobertson
DRobertson
Owner/Technician,
When I plug in a ScanDisk USB thumb drive into any of the 5
When I plug in a ScanDisk USB thumb drive into any of the 5 USB ports on my PC, the PC does not recognize that anything has been plugged into the USB port. Therefore, the USB ports are currently unusa… read more
Brad
Brad
I recently purchased a Toshiba 320g external hard drive. When
I recently purchased a Toshiba 320g external hard drive. When I plug it into the usb port xp will recongize it but then it goes away. It is there....then it isn't. Keeps doing that. I run Xp on a 2.8g… read more
Satchi
Satchi
Hi. I have an Emachine with Windows Vista. Vista has caused
Hi. I have an Emachine with Windows Vista. Vista has caused us a lot of problems lately, so we want to upgrade to Windows 7. However when we tried we were told we didn't have enough space on our compu… read more
Computer Software Engineer,
Hello, I have a Gateway P6860-FX 17 notebook specs Core
Hello, I have a Gateway P6860-FX 17" notebook specs: Core 2 Extreme X9000, 4GB ram, 2x170GB 7200rpm hd configed RAID - single 320GB drive, Nvidia 8800GTS M 512MB. Been running Vista Home Premium 32bit… read more
David L
David L
I have purchased a HP Pavilion Elite m9350f Desktop PC withVista
I have purchased a HP Pavilion Elite m9350f Desktop PC withVista 64 bit home premium. I want to partition the hard drive and install XP Pro on the seconed partition. I know I have to un-install Vista … read more
CIO,