Jess
Jess, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

I have a Dell XPS 7100 desk top. It was beeping 4 times but

I have a Dell XPS 7100 desk top. It was beeping 4 times but now only 2 times and still won't boot. Any suggestions as to what it might be?
Hi, thank you for using JustAnswer.com. I am glad to assist you today.

Please try to remove all RAM and then boot the computer. Is it beeping 2 times as well or 4 times when there is no RAM installed?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It still beeps twice.

It beeps twice when there are no RAMs installed?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I did not try to turn it on will all the memory out. I did not know that I could try to boot the computer with no memory in it.

Yes you can try that. We will know then if the 2-beep pattern means RAM error. Now that you installed 2 RAMs, the system beeps 2 times. When all RAMs are removed, please see if the system still beeps 2 times which will mean that your RAMs are not detected.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have 6GB of memory, two 4gb and two 2gb. Is there any other possible solution if removing all the memory does not work?
The only way to do this is by trial and error method. Please unplug the SATA or IDE cable of your Hard Drive while you are troubleshooting your RAM so that the drives will not be damaged.

If you have 4 slots of RAM and 4 RAM sticks, please try the following:

1. Consider the 4 RAMs as RAM1, RAM2...RAM4
  2. Consider the 4 Ram Slots as SlotA, SlotB..SlotD
  3. Try inserting RAM1 on SLotA then test, do the same for the rest of the slots and see which slot makes the system works
  4. Then do also a combination of 2 rams and see which combination works

Give it a try and let me know your results.

Regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have aldeady tried removing and replacing them with no success. I have never unpluged any cable from my Hard Drive and do not know how to unless you instruct me.
Please locate your ward drive and you should see a red SATA cable that connect the drive to the motherboard. Which ever is easier, unplug the cable that connects to the drive or the other end that connects to the motherboard.

Have you tried inserting the RAM one at a time and testing each one in the various slots?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I have inserted the Ram one at a time with the same result. However, I will unplug the cable and try that. Can I return to this later after I have tried your suggestions?
Yes, you can get back to me any time. Just bookmark this page. Click on Favorites => Add to Favorites.

BTW, unplugging of the HDD cable will not affect the issue. It is just safeguard your hard disk while you are turning ON and OFF the computer.

Please try inserting the rams in each slot and try each one. Also, try combining the 2 rams in 2 slots and try each combination.

If none of these work, it could be the RAMs that are faulty already. Please try to use other rams or try the rams that you have now with other computer to check if they work. If they do, then it is not the ram but your motherboard is the problem.

Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your help Jess. I will try this.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. Please take your time.

Regards,
Jess