When trying to navigate to certain websites, I frequently get…

When trying to navigate to...
When trying to navigate to certain websites, I frequently get the "Cannot Connect" error message from one or more browsers, notably Google Chrome and Internet Explorer. I sense that this is a timing issue and if the browser were set to continue to try to link to websites in general beyond just 5 or 10 seconds, that such connection would be... Read full answer
When trying to navigate to certain websites, I frequently get the "Cannot Connect" error message from one or more browsers, notably Google Chrome and Internet Explorer. I sense that this is a timing issue and if the browser were set to continue to try to link to websites in general beyond just 5 or 10 seconds, that such connection would be successful. Is there a timing setting somewhere that could be adjusted so that the Browser doesn't just quit trying to link after the first 5 or 10 seconds?

I also think that Add-Ons might be interfering with connections. I am not aware of where to see what Add-Ons might be operating with Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Mozilla Firefox. Could you provide some guidance as to where to see what Add-ons might be screwing up my connections?
1/15/2012
Computer-Web-Justin

Computer-Web-Justin :

It really sounds like it's happening on all of the browsers so it likely has nothing to do with addons. THere are no settings to search for sites longer. I assume that you are having some kind of network issue. You need to call your isp who provides your service to connect to the internet and have them sort it out,.

Computer-Web-Justin :

Chrome addons are located by clicking the top right wrench, selecting tools and then extensions.

Computer-Web-Justin :

Make sure you update the newest fire fox. When you do the addons are there when you click the main top left link and then addons.

Computer-Web-Justin :

ie click tools and then addons

Computer-Web-Justin :

You can also go to your control/internert and clear history and cache

Computer-Web-Justin :

If it's a wireless router you can unpluf your network and your modem. Wait a minute and then restart. Also, just try resetting your modem modem if it's not wireless by unplugging it. Some have a small reset buttion on them if they have batteries.

Computer-Web-Justin :

It's most likely your network connection. If none of the above fixes work call your isp and they will trouble shoot it for you.

Customer:

I disabled every add-on to Google Chrome except AVG Safe Search then tried to connect to a website I frequent often. Again, I get the connection error message but this time, described differently. The error message read:

SSL connection error
Unable to make a secure connection to the server. This may be a problem with the server, or it may be requiring a client authentication certificate that you don't have.
Customer:

What is going on with Google Chrome? I used to work so well for me for over a year, but lately, it keeps spitting back connection error messages. Any intelligence on changes to Google Chrome? Or might the problem be with my system / software?

Computer-Web-Justin :

You can usually hit accept to accept the certificate on the web page.Read through the error message on the screen and yuou will find something like accept the certificate or add exception. You may have to read and click a couple of things.

Computer-Web-Justin :

It's the website https://connection.

Computer-Web-Justin :

The website may not have a new security certificate purchased so it's asking you to confirm.

Customer:

The "SSL Connnection Error" message over Google Chrome does NOT have any clickable to "accept the certificate" or "add exception." Should I try to link to this website over a different browser in hopes of finding an "accept the certificate" or "add exception" clickable?

Computer-Web-Justin :

What is the link to the website

Computer-Web-Justin :

Send me the link to the site so I can test it. If you don't see it in chrome I assume that you won't see it in the other browsers either. Please send the link and I will test.

Customer:

Here is the link that generates the "SSL Connection Error" message when I try to navigate there via Google Chrome:http://www.cybershoppersonline.com/prelogin/index.htm

Computer-Web-Justin :

I tried everysingle option available in every forum to try to see that link with chrome. I can't see it on my end. It's an issue with the website it's self. It's the way that they handle the client side (visitor) side authentication. Google chrome does not handle the client side well. The website owners need to fix there ssl to be more chrome friendly.

Computer-Web-Justin :

I went to many https: secured sites and they worked. Just not that one. You may run into a few like that.

Computer-Web-Justin :

The site does work for me in internet explorer. I don't believe that there is another option.

Computer-Web-Justin :

You can try going to chrome/options/under the hood/proxys/advanced and then in the list select tld 1.0 and ssl 2.0. It didn't work for me though.

Computer-Web-Justin
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I can't get to my Gmails. Why? The message says it Can't
The message says it Can't connect securely to this page! I am just going like always. I have good internet connection. … read more
John Lohr
John Lohr
Owner / Technology Specialist,
Teaching Certification
How to take all my 50 + web pages and drag them onto ONE
how to take all my 50 + web pages and drag them onto ONE website which holds my pages on the side of my screen so that i don't run all the pages on my lap tops memory. What is the name of that type of… read more
hongkongpom
hongkongpom
Computer Desktop Support,
My desktop has taken a nosedive in internet speed. The only
Hi. My desktop has taken a nosedive in internet speed. The only change I've made is to switch to Norton Antivirus from AVG. The connection speed should be 30/10 mgps. According to Speakeasy my connect… read more
Byron
Byron
IT Support Specialist,
Stop searching for answers—
Chrome browser fails to work after about 3 or 4 uses. have
Chrome browser fails to work after about 3 or 4 uses. have to turn computer off and back on to use the browser again.… read more
Computer Technican,
When using Google Chrome as my browser I receive this
When using Google Chrome as my browser I receive this message from the website google.chrome://chrome-signin//source=0 "'He's dead Jim' The webpage was terminated unexpectedly. To continue, reload or … read more
For some unwanted reasons my PC has installed a feature which
For some unwanted reasons my PC has installed a feature which appears each time I am using Google and which limits my use of internet. It is indicated as www.search.ask.com. How can I get rid of it co… read more
Computer Technican,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
Currently my pages appear as same page. How can I have each
Currently my pages appear as same page. How can I have each menu selection appear as a new page when the menu item is selected?… read more
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan
I watched somethin online and I want to get rid of it before
hi I watched somethin online and I want to get rid of it before i could possibly get in trouble… read more
Travis B.
Travis B.
Computer Technician,
windows keeps saying there is a problem with the web page when
windows keeps saying there is a problem with the web page when I try to type and send emails or enter anything in the subject area and then closes the program what can I do? thank you, Mary… read more
Justin
Justin
Network Administrator,
When I try to connect to a webpage, frequently the Google Chrome
When I try to connect to a webpage, frequently the Google Chrome browser as well as Internet Explorer browsers quickly displays the error message "Cannot connect". I believe that the browser settings … read more
The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy
I have google internet explorer( plain old google) I have
I have google internet explorer( plain old google) I have firefox google I have google chrome Each has a different banner each has different favorites and each is used for a different projects,each ha… read more
Computer Specialist,
Hi, Thank you for your time. I am relatively sure that I have
Hi, Thank you for your time. I am relatively sure that I have a Bogus Tool Bar on my MSN Home Page. I suspect ad-ware. Currently, it is impossible for me to navigate to any links, or to search with in… read more
Computer Technican,
Stop searching for answers—
When I do a search using Google it gives me the options as
When I do a search using Google it gives me the options as per normal, when I try to open the options I am directed to other seach directories such as:- E Zanga, Direct Search Online, K Directory, Bin… read more
sandy
sandy
Technical Specialist,
B.Tech
I can gain access to my hotmail using my password, but I cannot
I can gain access to my hotmail using my password, but I cannot open up or send any e-mails… read more
Brad M
Brad M
Network Engineer,
My browser is not working properly. Just downloaded the newest
My browser is not working properly. Just downloaded the newest version 3.6.3 and installed it and I get this message, "Your current browser is not supported. We're sorry for the inconvenience. Please … read more
IT Manager,
i can not get into my aol email i log in and it keep going
i can not get into my aol email i log in and it keep going going it say account login aol.com but will not show my mail… read more
MD.REHAN
MD.REHAN
self employed,
Diploma in applied electronics
Windows live hotmail account is SUPER SLOW. I have emptied
Windows live hotmail account is SUPER SLOW. I have emptied all folders and still very slow. never used to be. When loading takes 5 10 seconds… read more
Joe
Joe
This is the second time in about a month that I have been unable
This is the second time in about a month that I have been unable to get anything through Firefox. It says Timed Out. I have had a local geek fix it once and now it is doing it again. I can get some we… read more
Ansh P.
Ansh P.
System Analyst,