How do I turn off ActiveX filtering in IE8 ?

Customer Question
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Computer
1/6/2012
Tech Support Specialist: IT_Help, Systems Analyst replied 6 years ago
IT_Help
IT_Help, Systems Analyst
Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. This is Mahbub Shahin can assist you.
1.Click "Start," select "Run," type "Gpedit.msc" into the Run dialog window that appears and press "Enter."
2.Navigate to "User Configuration-->Administrative templates-->All settings
Scroll down and find out Turn off activeX opt-in- prompt
Right click on Turn off activeX opt-in- prompt--> filter option--> check enable requirements filters-->check Internet Explorer 8
Ok. Close Local group policy editor. Restart your PC.

Thanks,
If you get satisfied please click on accept and leave positive feedback. Bonus will appreciable.

I'm stuck on #2. I got as far as: "User Configuration-->Administrative templates"

There is no submenu labeled "All settings ", neither there nor under any of the other submenus under that heading.

graphic

Here are two screendumps I made of what I am viewing when I follow your instructions.

The screens do not look the same as yours.

Download the files from here:

http://www.wikisend.com/download/117300/

http://www.wikisend.com/download/254064/

I see your images. I apologize. But this time I opt out and leave the question for other expert.
Thanks.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert IT_Help was unable to answer the question and has opted out.
I still need for someone to respond to the question with an answer that works.
Tech Support Specialist: Danielle-Mod,
 replied 6 years ago
Danielle-Mod

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

The last expert opted out ---- if you'll read over my last message you'll see that the question is still unanswered and that I still need for someone to respond.

Tech Support Specialist: Danielle-Mod,
 replied 6 years ago

Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.

Tech Support Specialist: cvd4311, Computer Analyst replied 6 years ago
cvd4311
cvd4311, Computer Analyst

This Is How To Disable ActiveX Controls In IE8

Step1: Start IE8.

Step2: Just click on Tools button and view a drop-down menu to view the options.

Step3: Now you should be in the Tools list, click Manage Add-ons option, a new menu with Internet Explorer 8 add-on should open.

Step 4: Here you will see the ActiveX control that you wish to disable, simply select from different classes of controls like Search Providers or Toolbars and Extensions

Step 5: On to the ActiveX control that you want to disable simply right-click on it.

Step 6: To finish disabling the control click Disable and then click Yes.

So to sum it up all you have to do is click Tools, Internet Options, Advanced and then find the ActiveX control that you want to disable or turn off. Right click on to the ActiveX control that need to disable, and finally click Disable and then click Yes.

This looks like what you have already done, so I am just repeating just in case you missed a step or missed one of the active x.

Also this is what I found once you have done the above (which you already have):

Internet Explorer 4.x or Later (All Platforms)

Internet Explorer 4.x or later, include the Occache.dll file, which is used to enumerate, update, and safely uninstall ActiveX controls using a "shell folder."

1. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove Programs, and then click the Install/Uninstall tab.
  2. If the ActiveX control you want to remove appears in the list of installed programs, click the ActiveX control, click Add/Remove, and then follow the instructions on the screen. If the ActiveX control does not appear in the list of installed programs, continue with the next step.
  3. In Windows Explorer or Windows NT Explorer, double-click the Windows\Downloaded Program Files folder or the Winnt\Downloaded Program Files folder, right-click the ActiveX control you want to remove, and then click Remove.
  4. When you are prompted to remove the ActiveX control, click Yes.

You can also go to this site: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/240797 to How to stop an ActiveX control from running in Internet Explorer.

This did not work.
I went into the Manage Addons and disabled every single one of the entries.
I still get the message that says that I must "disable ActiveX".

I have not found anything else that will help you besides what I have posted up top. I have been all of the internet just in case I have forgotten something to write down for you to do. I will have to opt out of this question and turn it over to another expert.

Relist: Incomplete answer.
I still need to have my problem solved.
Two experts have opted out so far.
Is there anyone out there who can solve this problem?
Tech Support Specialist: WesPCDr, Information Systems Manager replied 6 years ago
WesPCDr
WesPCDr, Information Systems Manager
Click Tools, Internet Options.
Click on the Security Tab, then click Custom Level
Then Scroll down to ActiveX and choose Disable for the ActiveX filtering.
This did not work either.
I went to Custom Level and disabled every single entry that referred to ActiveX.
I still get the same error message when trying to access a particular website.
It could be for a different zone, make sure to click a Zone and change the custom settings for each.
There are 4 Zones, Local Intranet, Trusted Sites, Restricted Sites
This is getting very frustrating.
I disabled every reference to AcriveX in all four zones, and I still am getting the error message. It says that I can't access a particular website as long as ActiveX is turned on.

Any other ideas???
I'll open the question for other experts to help.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Three experts have now opted out.
I'm still waiting for a solution that works.
Tech Support Specialist: arsufi2002, Computer Support Specialist replied 6 years ago
arsufi2002
arsufi2002, Computer Support Specialist

could you tell me the real purpose of disabling Active x ?

if you disable active x , those sites that works on active x control won't work on the machine .

reply
There is only one site, an online Micorsoft Exchange Outlook 365 website, that returns this error message, and it does not identify which ActiveX control is the culprit, so I have no way of knowing what to turn on or off. Hence, I just tried turning them all off, and even that did not work.

Here is a zip file of a screen dump of the error message I'm getting.

http://www.wikisend.com/download/385792/

Hi, It looks like there is a bug with the website and IE.

Here is how to resolve the issue:
Go to Tools->Internet Options
Click the Advanced Tab
Press the Reset button to restore default settings.

Close Internet Explorer and try the website again.
WesPCDr
WesPCDr, Information Systems Manager
OK, now we are making progress. I can now get into the site without the Active X error, so I approved your answer for that.

However, once I'm there, several of the icons seem to have disappeared. See the screen dumps below:

http://wikisend.com/download/772382/message.dump.zip
Note in this view to the left of the Test message there are two boxes with red "x's" in them. These are supposed to appear as icons that allow you to open up the note.

http://wikisend.com/download/384026/reply.dump.zip
In this view, across the top is supposed to be a menu. In the space from the icon "Send" over to the one shown as "Options" there should be nine (9) more menu items boxes, such as "Save", "Attach", "Insert", etc....... But none of these is visible.
How do I restore them???

That's probably from disabling the other ActiveX in the Security tab, go back to the security Tab and turn those back on. Just make sure to leave ActiveX Filtering off.
That put me back where I started from. The error message re-appeared again. I tried enabling the settings one at a time, but the error wouldn't go away until I did the "reset" again. I can get back in now, but the icons are still missing.

On the Security Tab, I didn't see a tab marked "ActiveX Filtering." There are so many levels that refer to ActiveX, how do I know which to change?
Go to the Security tab settings and choose Custom for the Internet Zone.
Choose the Reset to: Medium-High (default.
Then click Reset

Scroll through the settings list and look for ActiveX controls and plug-ins
Under that will be Allow ActiveX Filtering
Choose Disable for that Settings.
Click OK, and Ok again.
I followed your instructions, but still cannot find a setting that is labeled:
"Allow ActiveX Filtering"

Here is a list of all the settings that are under the "ActiveX controls and plug-ins" label.

http://wikisend.com/download/789942/settings.zip
Here is a link to the image showing ActiveX Filtering --> HERE

As you can see from the image of the settings I sent you, the two lists are NOT the same.
Yours has an "Allow ActiveX Filtering" entry, mine does not.

What version of IE are you running ? Mine is 8.06001.18702. Perhaps mine is outdated.

Once you've reset the Security Settings, go back and reset the default settings.

Go to Tools->Internet Options
Click the Advanced Tab
You can also add the website to your Trusted Sites in the Security Tab so it will have less restrictions.
We keep going around in circles here.

None of the things I try seems to change the appearance of the screens (i.e.; the menu items are still missing), and if I change any of the ActiveX entries under Internet Options, then I get blocked out of the site entirely with the same message telling me to turn off the ActiveX controls.

I made this statement to you previously, and you have not responded to it:
"As you can see from the image of the settings I sent you, the two lists are NOT the same.Yours has an "Allow ActiveX Filtering" entry, mine does not."

I have IE 9. Would you be willing to upgrade to IE9? Perhaps it might makes things easier.
Well, very possibly that has been our communication problem all along.

I cannot use IE9 since it is not compatible with Win XP.
Unless you can think of anything else, It looks like we've hit a dead end here.
What did you do last time to get the site to at least show up?
Trying to determine what state the browser is in. Are you at the point where the icons/buttons are missing?

I did the reset thing that you suggested earlier and was able to get back onto the site again. So, I'm on the site, but the buttons are still missing. The problem is that I don't know which ActiveX control is causing them to blank out.

Interestingly enough, I can use FireFox on the same site without any of those problems, but for some reason they prefer that I use IE.

Since all the settings were reset, the remaining issue is not ActiveX. Try adding the website URL to your Trusted Sites list.
We already did that. The URL is listed as a trusted site.
WesPCDr
WesPCDr
WesPCDr, Information Systems Manager