sony VGN AR690U 3ed party batt installed Bios drivers, now…

sony VGN AR690U 3ed party...
sony VGN AR690U 3ed party batt installed Bios drivers, now the laptop is dead, any way to restore the orignal BIOS?... Read full answer
sony VGN AR690U 3ed party batt installed Bios drivers, now the laptop is dead, any way to restore the orignal BIOS?
1/1/2012
Carl L
Carl L, IT Specialist

Hi and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX have been repairing Computers Professionally for over 13+ years and currently own a Shop in FL.

Are you saying that this all started after installed a 3rd Party Battery?

If so, that would not of had any effect on the Bios's Firmware. It's sounds like a internal Hardware issue. Remove the Ram Memory and reinsert it. Check that the CMOS Battery is good and reading over 3 Volts DC Power. Remove the Battery and have just the Power Adapter plugged in and power on the Sony. Replace it with the old battery and try it again as well. Let me know the results. Thanks, Carl

The Battery came with a disk that over wrote " patched" the existing BIOS

I found this warning in looking for a fix

http://www.wimsbios.com/forum/topic11992.html

There are sellers on Ebay offering aftermarket batteries for the Sony Vaio VGN-AR series.

These batteries come with a BIOS update file that is supposed to allow the system to work with thier new "aftermarket" battery.

Oh I know what your referring to. It threw me off when you said that the battery installed the software but you ran their "Update" disk and it bricked your Bios.

Usually in this case you can sometimes get a hold of a Bios Bootloader and Bios Update file and burn it to a floppy and sometimes to a CD but I am not able to locate these files for this model. It seems like Sony has created a Proprietary Bios Software and doesn't want to give it out to anyone. You may have to send this off to them and have them put the BIOS on a programmer or use their software to recover the OEM Flash. The only problem is that they may charge you the same as a new Motherboard. I would get some prices from them first. If it's under warranty, you can just tell them that it quit working and wont power on anymore and get it fixed for free.

Carl L
Carl L, IT Specialist
thank you for trying not under warrenty if you hear of something please let me know
No problem and you can count on it that I will! :D
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Hi I a Sony Vaio VGN-NR38s. It has an Nvidia GE Force 8400M
Hi I a Sony Vaio VGN-NR38s. It has an Nvidia GE Force 8400M GT GPU Graphics card. I have downloaded the drivers from the nividia website but it comes up that it cannot find the hardware. I know sony m… read more
Joshua C.
Joshua C.
Technical Service Representative,
I need the bios p/w. Vaio purch from private party, no rcpt,
I need the bios p/w. Vaio purch from private party, no rcpt, no invoice.. This is BS!, the equipment belongsn to ME, not Sony, shouldNOT have to call to get into MY COMPUTER… read more
JustinDS
JustinDS
I have a Sony VGN-C290 laptop. The battery has often overheated
I have a Sony VGN-C290 laptop. The battery has often overheated and is completely dead now. Was this product on a recall list? Can I buy a safe replacement battery? [email protected]… read more
It Support Specialist,
Stop searching for answers—
My battery will not charge. I bought a new battery thinking
My battery will not charge. I bought a new battery thinking that it was the battery. I have a fast blinking charge light but when I unplug the laptop it shuts down. It also will not come on with the A… read more
Managing Director,
Hi I am having a Sony Vaio Laptop (VGN-NW23NE) model, earlier
Hi I am having a Sony Vaio Laptop (VGN-NW23NE) model, earlier the Video quality was amazing...but, nowadays I don't know what went with my Laptop is that whenever I play any Video file, if it is of sm… read more
Computer Technican,
ive got a brand new sony vaio,i have notices pictures are blurry
ive got a brand new sony vaio,i have notices pictures are blurry on the screen on websites and facebook etc. my girlfriend has exactly the same laptop and her pictures are clear and detailed.please he… read more
Computer Technican,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I have a laptop sony vaio, model VGN FW140E . when i run
I have a laptop sony vaio, model VGN FW140E . when i run system restore , a pop up window appears with a message Error 305 :64, and I can't do any thing further than that, my computer now, is dead. Ho… read more
Qin Xia
Qin Xia
I have a sony vgn-fs920. Im trying to flash the bios to be
I have a sony vgn-fs920. I'm trying to flash the bios to be able to run vista and when i run the bios update that i got from sony's website it says cannot read system information and fails. Any ideas?… read more
Colin Vincent
Colin Vincent
Company director/Engineer,
City & Guilds 224
New battery in VAio vgn-txn25 will not charge. Battery lite
New battery in VAio vgn-txn25 will not charge. Battery lite on left of key board keeps flashing. How do I fix this?… read more
Anthony Brewster
Anthony Brewster
I.T.,
I bought a replacement battery for my viao-generic and it does
I bought a replacement battery for my viao-generic and it does not work. When I insert it it says "plugged in not charging".… read more
Ansh P.
Ansh P.
System Analyst,
With regard to Windows XP my operating system on my Vaio laptop. when
With regard to Windows XP my operating system on my Vaio laptop. when my computer displays anything it does so in a large format, so all my icons are large, and when running any applications say the i… read more
Anthony Brewster
Anthony Brewster
I.T.,
I have a VAIO laptop model VGN-SZ43ON & Ive just loaded Windows
I have a VAIO laptop model VGN-SZ43ON & I've just loaded Windows 7. I can't get the display to do full screen. I've gone into the command prompt & clicked on full screen but still nothing. I have abou… read more
Anthony Brewster
Anthony Brewster
I.T.,
Stop searching for answers—
Re Sony Vaio laptop VGN-NR38E. Have lost Password and Recovery
Re : Sony Vaio laptop VGN-NR38E. Have lost Password XXXXX Recovery disc ! Have tried Ophtrack?? disc - comes up with not found. Any ideas ? laptop is fairly new and has no personal data on it. If I bo… read more
Linghao W
Linghao W
sony vaio vgn-nr21 laptop with no power. skt ok as power reading
sony vaio vgn-nr21 laptop with no power. skt ok as power reading on motherboard any ideas would be greatly appreciated… read more
RPI Solutions
RPI Solutions
Technician, Developer,
i can not start my vaio ,,, i am getting a massage the installed
i can not start my vaio ,,, i am getting a massage "the installed battery may not be properly connected,,,,,, what to do… read more
Computer Software Engineer,
The recovery discs that I have for my VGN-NS10L stop loading
The recovery discs that I have for my VGN-NS10L stop loading at 18%. My laptop is now useless and has no operating system. Help, what do I do now? Thanks… read more
Computer Support Specialist,
I cannot get any audio to play for auything on my sony vaio
I cannot get any audio to play for auything on my sony vaio laptop except the pre-amble tone for microsoft startup. I have no audio! The spectrum analyzer moves up and down as if sound is present, but… read more
Anthony Brewster
Anthony Brewster
I.T.,
I have a Sony Vaio laptop...The sony website doesnt have any
I have a Sony Vaio laptop...The sony website doesn't have any graphic driver updates. I bouth this computer in Jan of 08, I know there are updates available. Is there a way I can get them from the Nvi… read more
Jerry Hannell
Jerry Hannell