i can get Magic Jack Plus to work when it is plugged into the

computer. I cannot get...
i can get Magic Jack Plus to work when it is plugged into the computer. I cannot get Magic Jack Plus to work when it is plugged directly into the wall electric receptacle
12/12/2011
Tyson13456
Tyson13456, Programmer

Tyson13456 :

Hi, my name isXXXXX will be happy to try and help with this.

Tyson13456 :

How is your MJ currently hooked up?

Tyson13456 :

Hello

Tyson13456 :

I'm so sorry, but would you mind terribly if I were to return in about 20 minutes to help you with this? Something came up on my end. I should be able to lead you through the setup when I return. You can go ahead and typw while I'm away and I will see what you wrote when I return. If you don't want to wait for me, I can opt-out and let another expert help you.

Tyson13456 :

Actually, I'm back now and can help you.

Tyson13456 :

sorry about that

Tyson13456 :

It looks like you are still typing....not sure if that's true, so I'm going to step out of chat and right back in just in case the issue is on my end

Customer:

hard line phone i,n to magic jack plus phone receptacle; usb port on magic jack plus to magic jack power adapter; power adapter into extention cord; extention cord into electric wall outlet.--- Tyson 13456, can you read what I have written

Tyson13456 :

I just now got it

Tyson13456 :

can you see this

Customer:

yes

Tyson13456 :

OK, I am so sorry think we had a glitch in the chat there

Tyson13456 :

OK, do you know what a network router is?

Customer:

I recognize it. it is in the basement

Tyson13456 :

ok, and it runs a wire from there to your computer? orr do you only have wireless internet

Tyson13456 :

oops I think I lost you...are you there now?

Customer:

yes

Tyson13456 :

are you typing or are we stuck again....if we're stuck I can switch to a different mode since live chat isn't working well

Customer:

i have wireless internet. i dont use hard wire to my computer. The router and a backup battery are the only pieces of AT&T equipment in the basement. i have only TV and Internet service from AT&T.

Tyson13456 :

OK

Tyson13456 :

unfortunately, I personally find Magic Jack's advertising a bit misleading on this issue. Let me explain.

Tyson13456 :

In order to use MJ+ without a computer....you have to first register the MJ with a computer which it sounds like you've already done. Then you must run a network cable from your router to the MJ and then plug a phone into the MJ, and then plug the MJ into the power outlet. They make it sound so easy, but if your router happens to be in a bad location for running a wire, it's not very handy

Tyson13456 :

Customer are you there?

Customer:

ok- the AT&T service hooked up the magic jack into the basement system. It worked for a bit then not.They said the magic jack was not equipped to serve whole house pnone jacks. i would be satisfied if only one jack worked as long as I didnt have to hook into computer

Tyson13456 :

OK. so explain to me again how it's hooked up, is it ran to an actual phone jack in your house? I've never heard of that

Customer:

it is now hooked up as I described earlier.

Customer:

before that the mj power adapter and mj with usb were plugged into the wall and the phone line went I don,t know where

Customer:

in the basement

Tyson13456 :

ok, are you sure it was a phone line, network cables have the same ends as a telephone only they are bigger, and the wire is thicker.

Tyson13456 :

when you use the MJ without a computer, you should have a cable going from the MJ to your basement, and then just a telephone or cordless phone plugged directly to the MJ as well

Customer:

the phone line came out of the mj and spliced into a phone line and into the router. im not sure in what order. but I diconnected it when it went dead. im sure it was not the bigger cable ( ive forgetten the name of it) but a phone line

Tyson13456 :

Is there an empty hole on your MJ? Where nothing was plugged in before

Customer:

it is an empty hole (larger) that says "internet" in the mj plus

Tyson13456 :

I'm sorry to be difficult , I've just never heard of hooking an MJ+ up this way before

Tyson13456 :

yeah, I don't know how they ever got it to work at all...that is not the "official" way to hook it up.

Customer:

it is not something i am trying to duplicate because it worked only a day and went dead. I am now trying to hook mj plus up upstairs and not thru the computer

Tyson13456 :

Now, that said, if you're willing to work with me, I can tell you what you'll need to hook it up the correct way without using a computer

Tyson13456 :

by work with me

Tyson13456 :

i just mean that it'll take some time

Tyson13456 :

sorry bad choice of words there

Customer:

yes- im not very tech savvy- ill try

Customer:

i can take my laptop to the basement if needed

Tyson13456 :

OK, first I'll need you to go to your basement....on your router there will either be a phone line going directly from the wall into it, or the phone line will come from the wall to another box that will have one of those thicker wires coming back out of it and going into your router. I need to know what set up you have? Does that make sense? Laptop in basement will be easier yes

Customer:

im on my way i thiunk i remember now is it ethernet cable.

Tyson13456 :

yeah, that is what i was calling network cable

Tyson13456 :

the thicker one

Customer:

do i take the mj and power adapter and a hard line phone with me?

Tyson13456 :

yeah, it might be easier to explain that way

Tyson13456 :

now, unfortunately you may not have quite what you will need to get this going, but at least I can point you in the right direction, but we will see

Customer:

ok ready' thereis an ethernet cable not being used here in the basement

Tyson13456 :

were you typing something?

Tyson13456 :

my fault

Customer:

no

Tyson13456 :

sorry

Tyson13456 :

ok...great

Customer:

not a problem

Customer:

ready when you are

Tyson13456 :

OK so I assume you have your phone line down there coming from the wall right?....you do have at&t internet and not through cable correct?

Tyson13456 :

I'm still here just reassuring you

Tyson13456 :

looked like I lost you for a second there

Tyson13456 :

You there?

Customer:

there is a phone line going into the router and into a wall outlet phone jack receptacle that goes into the back up battery. it has one open receptacle outlet. my battery has gone down (hibernated twice. let me get my power adapter. be right back

Tyson13456 :

ok no problem

Tyson13456 :

hello again

Customer:

im back and ready again

Tyson13456 :

ok, by the way, and I'm not saying anything by this, but I just want to reassure you, that if at any point either of us needs to come back to this later for some reason, you can be easily reconnected with me specifically

Customer:

how reconnected with you

Tyson13456 :

I'm not sure I understand...do you mean how would you reconnect with me?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

ready when you are

Tyson13456 :

You would come back to Just Answer log in...click on My Questions, and there you would see this question. Even if I am not available at that moment, I will be notified by email, and will be able to see anything you typed while I was gone, and I will respond as soon as I am able

Tyson13456 :

does that answer your question?

Customer:

thanks

Tyson13456 :

you bet

Tyson13456 :

Now, the phone line that comes out of your wall and goes into your router...can you tell me what is that port labled on your router where the phone line plugs in?

Tyson13456 :

something like Internet...or maybe Telephone?

Customer:

"data" and a picture of a phone

Tyson13456 :

ok...now on that same router are there other empty larger holes for ethernet?

Customer:

yes- four empty holes for ethernet

Tyson13456 :

ok good

Tyson13456 :

now you said that you have a spare ethernet cable there correct

Customer:

yes- about four feet long with two male ends

Tyson13456 :

ok, well that won't get us upstairs, but it is enough to test with

Tyson13456 :

now when you set up your MJ did you go through the registration process where you chose or transferred a number etc.....?

Customer:

yes

Tyson13456 :

OK did it ask you about using it with a computer or router?

Tyson13456 :

if you recall?

Customer:

not that i can remember. only number choices and costs, i think

Tyson13456 :

ok, well no problem, we'll try it and see....ok, now take that ethernet cable you have...are you able to plug one end to an empty port on the router and the other to your MJ's Internet hole, and still plug it into a wall outlet?

Tyson13456 :

If you were typing I never saw it

Tyson13456 :

Are you there?....Just checking

Customer:

sorry i `dropped the router --ok now

Tyson13456 :

ok

Customer:

router to mj internet hole and into wall outlet withe ethernet cable. OK Done

Tyson13456 :

ok good, now take your phone, and plug it into the MJ also in the other hole, and see if you have a dial tone

Customer:

yes

Customer:

have a dial tone

Tyson13456 :

ok, so now your only issue is that you will need a long enough ethernet cable to run upstairs...does that make sense...what we did?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

it

Customer:

makes

Customer:

sense

Tyson13456 :

If I were you, I would ensure that you can make and receive calls ok before going to the trouble of running the cable just to be sure

Customer:

what about the telephone wire to the back up battery and on to the router?

Tyson13456 :

you mean the one from the wall?

Customer:

yes

Tyson13456 :

to the router

Tyson13456 :

in the data port right?

Customer:

yes

Tyson13456 :

that one has to be there that is your main Internet line

Customer:

i think i see. the ethernet cablle is the only one that needs to go upstairs, right

Tyson13456 :

right

Customer:

ok- so i am all set. right?

Tyson13456 :

yeah, I'm sorry I couldn't get you exactly what you wanted today, but I don't understand for the life of me how it ever worked at all the way they were doing it....that sounds like they were using your MJ as a regular telephone jack, not even going through your internet

Customer:

can i `use a walk around or portable phone? Also, I have several walk around (portable) phones left over from when i had a hard line with the cable company. can i use them even though they had a different phone number?

Customer:

the ATT man that set it up came from out of town to help clear up ATTs backlog.

Customer:

and had more tech knowledege than the locals. but it didnt work very long

Tyson13456 :

Sure, what I do at my house is, I have one of those cordless phone systems that can have like 6 handset attached to the base, then I just plug my internet phone, or in your case the MJ into the base and use the handsets all over the house? Does that make sense what I'm saying?

Tyson13456 :

If you like I'll even give you an internet link to the phone system I use, though any cordless phone would work

Customer:

yes- im glad that will work. but also, what about the fact that the my used portables had another number before. and yes i would love to have the link to yor brand of phones

Tyson13456 :

It shouldn't matter about the old number as long as they are standard cordless phones with base and handset it should be fine...let me get you that link

Customer:

thank you so much for everything. you have been so helpful

Tyson13456 :

This is the phone I use, now it comes with two handsets, but you can add up to 6 I believe

Tyson13456 :

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-KX-TG6512B-Expandable-Cordless-Handsets/dp/B0036D9YKU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323711548&sr=8-1

Tyson13456 :

now, let me give you one more tip

Tyson13456 :

about these Panasonic phones I use

Tyson13456 :

rather than buying separate handsets...if you want to add more, just but the whole set with the base again, and register the additional handsets with an existing base instead of the one that comes with the new set, that is because it is actually cheaper to purchase the entire base and all when you want extra handsets than it is to buy just the handset separately....I'm sorry if that's confusing. I don't feel like I was very clear

Tyson13456 :

oops typo, meant to say just BUY the whole set

Customer:

one more question. why couldnt i put the base unit in the basement where the short ethernet cable is and the just use satellite phones upstairs. This would save drilling hole for the ethernet cable thru floors and walls.

Tyson13456 :

That is exactly what I am suggesting you do

Tyson13456 :

:)

Tyson13456 :

I think I may have lost you it is telling me you are offline

Tyson13456 :

hi again

Tyson13456 :

Does that answer all of your questions? I assume you can see my last few replies

Customer:

i do now understand that i would have to register the new numbers. you have helped above and beyond the call of duty. i could ask the Radio Shack guy how to register the new hand sets with the base number. i know you need to get to other questions. thanks again.

Tyson13456 :

Oh, no problem, glad to help..let me give you a link to my page real quick too

Tyson13456 :

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-tyson/

Tyson13456 :

bookmark that and if you ever need me again, type your question on that page and I should get first chance at it if I'm available

Tyson13456 :

Nice working with you....Please click Accept if satisfied....Thanks

Tyson13456 :

I just want to be sure you see my last reply before I leave

Tyson13456 :

Well, I will assume you saw my last reply...nice working with you.

Tyson13456
Tyson13456, Programmer
Thanks for accepting. It wasn't showing me that you had the way it normally does
Tyson13456
Tyson13456
Tyson13456, Programmer