WORDPERFECT INSTALL OF VERSION X4 INTERUPTED WITH

Customer Question
CTL3D32.DLL ERROR. HOW DO...
WORDPERFECT INSTALL OF VERSION X4 INTERUPTED WITH CTL3D32.DLL ERROR. HOW DO YOU FIX THIS PROBLEM AS WP ON START UP KEEPS TERMINATING?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Computer
11/26/2011
Tech Support Specialist: Michael Hannigan, Information Systems Manager replied 6 years ago
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Information Systems Manager
***** *****nigan :

Hello. My name is***** will be your Primary Care Technician and I can assist you with your question.

***** *****nigan :

Are you saying that Windows isn't starting?

JACUSTOMER-kfv4mqnc- :

no. wordperfect x4 is not starting. wpx4 on install transmits error regarding no ctl3d32.dll file in windows system directory. i have downloaded filed ctl3d32.dll from internet but cannot extract to windows system32 or syswow64 folders because of adminstration permission is required (even though my user is the administrator.

***** *****nigan :

You don't want to do that.

***** *****nigan :

Be very careful.

***** *****nigan :

manually replacing system dlls isn't possible without rendering Windows inoperable.

***** *****nigan :

Despite what you see out there.

JACUSTOMER-kfv4mqnc- :

i have looked into each windows file system 32 and syswow64 and the ctl3d32.dll file shows up.

***** *****nigan :

Yes, but DO NOT replace them.

***** *****nigan :

This is very important. Whatever you downloaded - delete

JACUSTOMER-kfv4mqnc- :

currently, my downloaded ctl3d32.dll file is only in the temp folder.

***** *****nigan :

OK... good.

***** *****nigan :

There is a correct way to do this. There isn't a way to download an authentic MS .dll... so that's all bad news.

***** *****nigan :

But you can have Windows check the system files

***** *****nigan :

Go to Start>all programs>accessories

***** *****nigan :

right click on command prompt and select run as administrator

JACUSTOMER-kfv4mqnc- :

ok

JACUSTOMER-kfv4mqnc- :

went to accessories but not administrator

***** *****nigan :

right click on command prompt

***** *****nigan :

Then select "run as administrator"

***** *****nigan :

Did you do that?

***** *****nigan :

Once that is done, type the following at the command prompt and press enter

***** *****nigan :

sfc /scannow

JACUSTOMER-kfv4mqnc- :

i right click on accessories but not run as administrator. a window appears that options open...

***** *****nigan :

No... open accessories, then right click on COMMAND PROMPT and select run as admin

JACUSTOMER-kfv4mqnc- :

ok, dos screen appears and typed command, scan underway

JACUSTOMER-kfv4mqnc- :

will take some time verification is 6% complete

***** *****nigan :

Yes... it will take quite a while.

JACUSTOMER-kfv4mqnc- :

don't know why. wordperfect x4 was working fine until a few days ago when i tried to update microsoft office from 2003 to 2007. i had to uninstall 2007 and reinstalled 2003 (which works fine).

***** *****nigan :

That shouldn't happen either. do you have malware and virus protection

***** *****nigan :

?

JACUSTOMER-kfv4mqnc- :

yes, had norton and switched to avast

***** *****nigan :

Why did you switch?

***** *****nigan :

Did the problems happen after you switched to Avast?

JACUSTOMER-kfv4mqnc- :

internet blogs were saying office and norton have conflicts. no switched to avast after i deleted 2007.

JACUSTOMER-kfv4mqnc- :

45% complete

***** *****nigan :

I've seen far more problems caused by Avast. My personal experience is that Norton is much more reliable.

JACUSTOMER-kfv4mqnc- :

i have a subscription to norton and can reinstall if i can even get this software issue resolved. thanks for the info.

***** *****nigan :

If that's the case, you may want to do that sooner rather than later. It might actually cure the problem.

JACUSTOMER-kfv4mqnc- :

also, my version of corel wordperfect x4 needs to be updated with service pack 2 but it won't even stay up to try updating. termination happens quickly.

***** *****nigan :

You can download the service packs separately

***** *****nigan :

Would that be helpful?

JACUSTOMER-kfv4mqnc- :

yes, if we can get the program itself to work

***** *****nigan :

Updating it may do it.

JACUSTOMER-kfv4mqnc- :

don't know what's in the service pack.

***** *****nigan :

Service pack 2 includes 30+MB of all patches prior to it.

JACUSTOMER-kfv4mqnc- :

scan 100% complete, no problems found

***** *****nigan :

Ok. So that means that dll is ok

***** *****nigan :

You may want to run a malware scan before continuing.

***** *****nigan :

It will only take a few minutes.

***** *****nigan :

and it's free

***** *****nigan :

Please download - click here >> Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.

· Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.

· At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to the following:

· Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

· Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

· Then click Finish.

· If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.

· Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.

· When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.

· Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.

· When completed, a log will open in Notepad. The rogue application should now be gone.

JACUSTOMER-kfv4mqnc- :

i am attempting to install service pack 2, but run into same dll error message. service pack 2 install frozen at 31% with dll error

***** *****nigan :

What exactly does the error say?

JACUSTOMER-kfv4mqnc- :

this requires i restart my computer.

JACUSTOMER-kfv4mqnc- :

error message states: "This application uses CTL3D32.DLL, which has not been properly installed. CTL3D32.DLL must be installed in the Windows system directory.

JACUSTOMER-kfv4mqnc- :

i cannot run the malware without completing install which requires restart of computer.

***** *****nigan :

Ok. you can bookmark this page. Are you sure that it was MalwareBytes that installed? It doesn't usually require a restart

JACUSTOMER-kfv4mqnc- :

MalwareBytes Anti-Malware is allowing me to do a quick scan now after accepting trial.

***** *****nigan :

ok

JACUSTOMER-kfv4mqnc- :

scan complete no infected items reported.

***** *****nigan :

Ok. good

JACUSTOMER-kfv4mqnc- :

i was able to successfully abort wordperfect service pack 2 install after ctl3d32.dll error message signaled freezing of install.

JACUSTOMER-kfv4mqnc- :

are you still there?

***** *****nigan :

yes

***** *****nigan :

I had asked what the exact error message is

JACUSTOMER-kfv4mqnc- :

i typed it in when you asked before the Malware discussion. i will retype it here: "This application uses CTL3D32.DLL, which has not been properly installed. CTL3D32.DLL must be installed in the Windows system directory."

JACUSTOMER-kfv4mqnc- :

i just read a blog that a user fixed the problem by removing the dll file from one of the folders, either the system32 or the syswow64 folder, but do not leave in both. in that user'

JACUSTOMER-kfv4mqnc- :

user's case he moved the file from the syswow64 folder to the sys32 folder. is that possible?

JACUSTOMER-kfv4mqnc- :

are you receiving my responses?

JACUSTOMER-kfv4mqnc- :

are you there mike?

***** *****nigan :

Sorry.

***** *****nigan :

I had to step away for a minute

***** *****nigan :

Do you have your settings to view system files enabled?

JACUSTOMER-kfv4mqnc- :

how do i check for that?

***** *****nigan :

Are you able to see the file in your windows directoryies?

***** *****nigan :

When you are browsing files, go to organize. Then folder and search options.

***** *****nigan :

Then click the advanced tab

***** *****nigan :

And in the list of options, check "show hidden", and uncheck "hide system"

JACUSTOMER-kfv4mqnc- :

ok done

***** *****nigan :

Ok.. before doing anything in the system files... one more suggestion.

***** *****nigan :

Install SP1

***** *****nigan :

Then reboot

***** *****nigan :

Then install SP2

JACUSTOMER-kfv4mqnc- :

ok will do now

***** *****nigan :

If it gives you an error, just continue if possible.

JACUSTOMER-kfv4mqnc- :

installed service pack 2. opened wordperfect x4. stays open, open a document, then it terminates in short order.

***** *****nigan :

What about service pack 1?

JACUSTOMER-kfv4mqnc- :

forgot, when i installed service pack 2, the same dll error message came up. but, i kept closing the warning window until it continued to install.

***** *****nigan :

Install Service Pack 1

***** *****nigan :

Reboot

***** *****nigan :

Then install service pack 2

JACUSTOMER-kfv4mqnc- :

service pack 1 is a hot fix based on the link you provided. when i attempted to install it, it was blocked because the as the warning stated my computer did not have a the right version. i believe that service pack 1 is for vista systems...if that makes any difference?

***** *****nigan :

Should be for Windows 7 as well.

***** *****nigan :

Try right clicking on it, and then properties. Compatibility Tab.

***** *****nigan :

Run in compatibility mode - Vista

***** *****nigan :

Let me know how that works out

JACUSTOMER-kfv4mqnc- :

the fix 1 is for a version of x4 called paradox, i do not have that version of x4.

JACUSTOMER-kfv4mqnc- :

i am not able to get the computer to load the hotfix 1 for the reason stated above.

***** *****nigan :

I see. Then please download the hotfix 2 on the same page

JACUSTOMER-kfv4mqnc- :

i downloaded hotfix 2, but it requires computer restart to complete install.

JACUSTOMER-kfv4mqnc- :

i tried the compatibility with vista in the properties folder. the document stayed longer but when trying to save it forced closed the program.

***** *****nigan :

Did you already reboot after the hotfix?

JACUSTOMER-kfv4mqnc- :

if i reboot will it end our chat?

JACUSTOMER-kfv4mqnc- :

rebooted...document still not saving. save forces program to close.

***** *****nigan :

Is this the same, or different from before? Originally, it was failing on startup, correct?

Customer:

nothing has changed. i believe that unless i can obtain a current ctl3d32.dll file to place into the windows/sys32 and/or windows/syswow64 folders, this problem will not go away. it also appears that the only way that can be done, since as you told me i will not be able to get a separate .dll file, that i will have to wipe the hard drive clean and reload windows 7 and, subsequently, all apps i use. is that true?

***** *****nigan :

That would be true if you went that way... it would wipe all apps. Unfortunately, with Worperfect X4, it's likely that you will have the same problem.

***** *****nigan :

Is your system all up to date?

***** *****nigan :

If it is, then let me check MSDN for the file (Microsoft Developer Network). If a legitimate copy of the file can be obtained, it will be within the development community, so let me look there.

***** *****nigan :

And the point I asked about is important in determining the problem, and right now I have conflicting information. Please thing carefully about this and let me know which information is correct.

***** *****nigan :

Right now, you are having the problem when you save Wordperfect documents.

***** *****nigan :

In your question, you said "WP ON START UP KEEPS TERMINATING"

***** *****nigan :

And in your last response, you said "nothing has changed".

***** *****nigan :

Please be precise in letting me know which is correct.

***** *****nigan :

Ok. I have a signed version of the file that should match what your system should have. Before you re-install the OS, try this.

***** *****nigan :

Once you get the file, extract it from the .zip and then put a copy in the c:\Windows\sysWOW64 folder ONLY

***** *****nigan :

Let me know when you are available and I can give you the link to the file

I have a signed version of the file that should match what your system should have. Before you re-install the OS, try this.

Let me know when you are available and I can give you the link to the file.