my cursor jumps all over the screen while typing, sometimes

Customer Question
painting whole sections of text...
my cursor jumps all over the screen while typing, sometimes painting whole sections of text so that the next keystroke wipes out all that I typed. Tried desensitizing mouse/touchpad settings but didn't help.  II have also kept my palms FAR AWAY from the touchpad (typing overhead with 2 fingers) so I am CERTAIN that I am NOT TOUCHING the mousepad.  THIS IS A SERIOUS PROBLEM THAT MANY USERS ARE HAVING - IT MAKES MAKES THE LAPTOP ALMOST UNUSABLE. p.s. - new laptop & all updates successfully installed. Win 7 - 64 bit PLEASE HELP!! Thank you!
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Computer
11/20/2011
Tech Support Specialist: Andy, Computer Consultant replied 5 years ago
Andy, Computer Consultant

Welcome to JustAnswer !! I am Andy and I will be glad to help you out with your issue today.

Please do this and let me know.

Please download and install the following utility in your system:

(Just click once on link below and RUN the file) : LINK

This will let you freeze your laptop's touchpad while typing, which appears to be the cause of the issue you are having.

Let me know.

If this helped, please click "ACCEPT".

(You need to click ACCEPT even if you are a SUBSCRIPTION or TRIAL member)

Positive Feedback and BONUS are always appreciated.

Thank you but my hands, fingers or palms are nowhere near the mousepad - would your suggestion remain the same? What if I accept, pay and it doesn't fix the problem?

Please try my answer first and then let me know result.

You can ACCEPT the answer after it resolves your problem.

Press Ctrl+D to save this page as Favorite/Bookmark so that you can click on it to reach me again, if you close this window by mistake.

Andy, Computer Consultant

I see that the suggestion was to install "touch freeze" which I had done before on my other laptop running Win 7 - 64 bit and it didn't help.

I have already adjusted my mouse setting under "pointer options" and un-checked the enhance pointer precision, checked hide pointer while typing.... I have a PS/2 mouse por

Hi

Did you install touchfreeze on this computer and see result ?

Please try it again even if you have done it in past

yes I installed - should I restart?

Yes, restart your computer.

Let me know result

Thanks for your pateince and help - I will restart.

Do I just go back to that bookmark to find you again?

Yes, you are right.

You can also respond to this message through your email that you will receive from this website

Thanks Andy,

Scott

Most welcome !

Please reply to this only after you restart.

Well thought

Please read: (again, as soon as I typed the previous word "read" - I looked at the screen and the cursor had moved up to the end of the word "thought" above...

Rebooted and Seemed to be working... tried typing in MS word, cursor doesn't seem to be jumping around there or on Amazon....OOOPS - as soon as I tryed the word Amazon I looked at the screen and it had painted the whole word, so that the next keystoke (other than an arrow key) would have wiped it out - so I guess there's still problems!

What is the make and model of the computer

When did you buy it and since when are you facing this issue

Asus Netbook Eee series, model 1215B -- just boought it 2 days ago, altho the same thing happens on my Samsung laptop running Win 7 - 64 bit

Please goto Mouse settings and change everything to Default and see result.

If problem persist, let me know what do you mean by " I have a PS/2 mouse por" ?

I reset mouse defaults

Regarding your question...I was trying to give you the properties of the mouse:

Device type: mouse and other pointing devices

Manufacturer: Microsoft

Location: plugged into PS/2 mouse port

Device status: Mouse is working properly

And just to confirm, I'm typing with 2 fingers above the keyboard only, nowhere near the mouse pad :)

See, this is a normal issue and touchfreeze takes care of it.

As you said before, you saw some improvement after you installed touchfreeze.

Other than that, make sure there is no other electronic device (like speakers, cordless phone, etc) near the laptop as even that can cause such symptoms.

Take the laptop to another room, or in an open area away from all other devices and see result.

Let me know

I will try that suggestion as well

Wanted to mention that I went onto ASUS' website and there are hardware updates available, one of which is a mouse/touchpad update (I don't know what date this Netbook was manufactured) & I don't know how to install it anyway - your help with that perhaps??

Wanted to also let you know that all programs & files, etc have been professionally scanned by Geek Squad (who also couldn't fix this problem) for any malware, etc etc - none found.

And finally, when I googled this problem - a zillion users have the same problem no matter what computer they're on - they all see it as a WIN 7 issue.

It will take me a few minutes to get back to you- sorry this is taking so long and thanks for your patience and help Andy!

Don't worry, take your time and let me know result.

I took it in other rooms but I have a rather small condo and the netbook isn't any father away from an electronic device anyway else. Cursor still blocked out a field when i tried a different shopping cart, as well as when I was typing this reply to you it not only jumped AHEAD this time but took some characters with it!!

Would the ASUS update help even thou it happens to everyone else's computer and my Samsung laptop?

When should I start crying or throw it over the balcony?? :)

Please take it outside the home .. somewhere in open.

Let me know

I certainly don't want to sound critical or as if I'm complaining, but that doesn't seem like a realistic fix...

I mean how can I use my computer at the airport, at Starbucks, and especially in the comfort of my HOME and monitor others' electronic devices or always have to escape somewhere else?

As this is happening on two of your laptops, I just want to confirm whether some electronic device in your room is causing this.

ok please hang on

Okie, take your time.

This is a known issue and I certainly know about it. I have worked on lots and lots of computers that had this problem.

It happens due to two reasons : software or hardware.

In most cases, touchfreeze resolves the software issue.
In some cases, the speaker circuitary in the laptop interferes with the touchpad signals and cause this. And in these cases the only option you have is to either return the laptop back to manufacturer and get it replaced or use a USB mouse.

Now, you should certainly try to reinstall and update the touchpad driver.

But if that does not resolve the issue, then you should get it replaced as its only 2 days old.

Thank you - I hope I didn't offend you in anyway by trying to help you with your job - I just didn't realize you had dealt with this as often as you have....my apologies.

Now how do I uninstall, reinstall and update the touchpad driver?

Thanks and again sorry for trying to do your job for you :)

Don't worry, you have not offended me at all :-) ... Its my pleasure to work with you on this.

You said "ASUS' website and there are hardware updates available, one of which is a mouse/touchpad update"

Download the update from there and install it (by double clicking on the downloaded file). Or click on RUN if it asks you while downloading the file.

Let me know

Of the many files and listings that came up,

I first I tried double-clicking on the ASUS Setup "application" and it asked whether I wanted to extract or run - so I chose run. Then I got an error msg that said file could not be found.

Then I chose another "application" file in a WINWDF folder and a driver wizard came up and asked to extract or run - when I ran it said THERE NO DRIVERS FOR MY MACHINE....hmmm

Hi

Did you try to download the Touchpad driver from this link :
http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_PC/Eee_PC_1215B/#download

yes - and there were 4 choices from which to download

Global (DLM)

Global

China

P2P

I didn't know the differences so I chose the Global

Hi Andy - Thought I sent you a note from the homepage cuz I didn't see this reply box before my last reply to you (so you may get double-notified). I have no choice but to get ready to leave for an event while you further research my options. How do we reconnect later or tomorrow? I live in Fort Lauderdale and should be home around 8pm EST...I don't know your schedule or how we reach each other again. Please advise...

cell: XXX-XXX-XXXX

or email:

[email protected]

Thanks!

Press Ctrl+D to save this page as Favorite/Bookmark so that you can click on it to reach me later on.

Andy, Computer Consultant