have been using AOL Desktop 9.6 but all of sudden it does not

Customer Question
open at all. I...
have been using AOL Desktop 9.6 but all of sudden it does not open at all. I went to help.aol.com to see some tips but they didn't work. What is the problem?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/25/2011
Tech Support Specialist: Bernie, Computer Specialist replied 6 years ago
Bernie
Bernie, Computer Specialist
Hello, and thanks for asking your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be your expert today.

Sometimes, the AOL browser becomes corrupted, it's very easy to reinstall it.

Note: Please make sure you know your AOL password, let me know if you don't.

First, click here: http://daol.aol.com/software/aoldesktop96 > Download and save AOL 9.6 to your desktop

Then, click the Windows Start button > Control Panel > Uninstall a Program link > Find AOL Uninstaller and uninstall it > If it scans program and asks you which to remove, only check the AOL desktop software.

After you restart just double click the AOL Desktop setup on your desktop to reinstall AOL 9.6 (Pick Install New Version) and it should work just fine now.
If I uninstall/reinstall, what happens to the emails saved in the PC?
These should not be affected at all unless AOL is severely corrupted. AOL saves all personal information/data in a PFC folder separately from the browser. When you uninstall/reinstall, then it also creates a backup folder called AOL Saved pfc on the desktop, just in case you need to reimport any information, use these steps:

http://help.aol.com/help/microsites/microsite.do?cmd=displayKCPopup&docType=kc&externalID=219312
I could reinstall AOL 9.6 but it did not create any "saved PFC" files. Does this mean I lost all the past mails stores in the PC? I have a Back up in another hard drive, can I retrieve the mails from there?
I see, a quick question, does AOL 9.6 open correctly now?
Yes. Though I see in my C: two AOL 9.6 but the desk top icon stays the same as the old and now I can open that old icon and the new page comes up.
I see - it's very rare that AOL is that corrupted, but it looks like that was the issue. Now as far as the emails you had, the only thing at this point if this link doesn't show a save PFC folder:

Is to
contact AOL directly as they may have the data backed up on their servers:

1-800-827-6364

Additionally, you can try and copy your AOL data file from the other hard drive, and try to import it using these directions:

http://help.aol.com/help/microsites/microsite.do?cmd=displayKCPopup&docType=kc&externalId=220730
I cannot manually restore the PFC: it says the file is open even though all the windows and files are closed....
Do you have an antivirus program you use on the computer like Norton, McAfee, or other (please specify)?
yes McAfee
I see, please take these steps:

Lets take these steps:

(1) Click the Windows Start button > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore. Follow the prompts to pick a restore date and time before you started having this problem with AOL. You may need to check the show more restore points box if necessary).

(2) After restoring successfully, open an IE browser and go to www.malwarebytes.org. At the top, go to products > Free antimalwarebytes > On that page you'll find the download button to get the program, then open and install it.

(3) Once installed, open the program, press start trial, and do a full scan. After it's done, press ok, then click the show results button in the lower right. On the next screen, check all the boxes and then press the remove selected button to remove any infections.

(4) Now proceed with opening AOL. If it is still empty, try these steps again:

Or, y
ou can try and copy your AOL data file from the other hard drive, and try to import it using these directions:

Bernie
Bernie, Computer Specialist

didn't quite worked the way you told me but anyway I could get all the mails back.

Thank you!

I'm glad to hear, thank you and have a nice weekend!
Bernie
Bernie
Bernie, Computer Specialist