The mouse pointer on My Windows 7 desktop intermittently freezes

Customer Question
on one icon, doesn't matter...
The mouse pointer on My Windows 7 desktop intermittently freezes on one icon, doesn't matter which one and will not allow me to open any other desktop icon.

On one computer I restored to an earlier working version and it disappeared but now I am reluctant to install any W7 updates on it.

On another computer, the laptop, I now have the same issue and I have no earlier version to restore from.

If I switch users (I have two others) the problem does not surface, at least not yet.

Can you help?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Computer
9/20/2011
Tech Support Specialist: Jess, Computer Support Specialist replied 6 years ago
Jess
Jess, Computer Support Specialist
Hi, thank you for using JustAnswer.com. I am glad to assist you today.

The problem here could be with the user profile being corrupted since the other user account is working fine.

Please do the following cleanup procedures:

Cleanup with Malwarebytes Antimalware

Please download the FREE version of Malwarebyte from this link:

Download FREE Malwarebytes Antimalware Here

If the above link doesn't work, you can download it from the official site. Here is the link:
http://malwarebytes.org

Just click the DOWNLOAD NOW button there and you will be redirected to the download page. There you can finally download the installation file for Malwarebytes Antimalware.

After you download it, please install. During the FIRST RUN, when you are prompted for a TRIAL, you can just DECLINE. Then let it UPDATE.

After the updates are installed, please perform a QUICK SCAN. Then REMOVE all malicious files found and restart your computer as part of the removal process.

After the cleanup and the restart, please test if the problem is gone. If the problem persists, please try to disable startup programs.

To disable some programs at startup, please do the following:

1. Click on Start => RUN
  2. In the RUN box, type this command and click OK: msconfig
  3. You shall see then the System Configuration dialog window
  4. Click on the SERVICES tab
  5. Click to select the option "Hide Microsoft services"
  6. Then click DISABLE ALL button
  7. Then click the STARTUP tab
  8. Then click on DISABLE ALL button
  9. This should disable all listed startup programs at startup so all the checks there should disappear. However, please locate your Antivirus software there and click on it to restore the check mark.
  10. Then click APPLY
  11. Click OK to close the System Configuration window
  12. Restart your computer. Then test if the system is now gaining some speed and if the problem is gone.
I hope that helped. Keep me posted.
Jess

I tried downloading the Malware, it ran the diagnostic, then cleared up a few items it found and then asked for a paymen, leaving many more that found.

So far the the mouse has frozen about a dozen times since you asked me to down load the Malware. Am I doing something wrong to not get it for free as you stated?

Oh.. Like I said, just get the FREE version of malwarebytes. During the FIRST RUN, when you are prompted for a TRIAL, you can just DECLINE. Then let it UPDATE.

Is your Malwarebytes program similar to this icon?

Even if Malwarebytes is in FREE mode, it will remove infections without prompting you to buy it.

Regards,
Jess

OK, I ran it again and it showed no malicious events at all, zero.

I guess this won't work to stop the problem with the mouse not opening icons from the desktop.

I will now try the disable in msconfig to see it it works.

OK I've run for a little over 24 hours after unchecking all but my Kaspersky Security.

I'll now turn that off as a final change in the msconfig but I doubt it's going to work.

Let me know if you have any other possibilties.

What happened after disabling the startup programs and non-Microsoft services? Is your mouse pointer still showing the same problem.

Keep me posted.
Jess
Yes. No change. Still refuses to open desktop icons, UNLESS I re-boot after the freeze happens.
When you re-boot after the freeze happens, your mouse works normally then?
Yes, for about a day or less. Then it freezes again.
Is this mouse a wireless mouse? Or a USB-type mouse? Or a PS/2 mouse?

A PS/2 mouse has a port that is usually green and it is relatively small round port like this:

Wireless Logitech.

I could try a USB mouse and see if that cures it?

This happening on my Laptop, so it's the pad that I'm using, no mouse.

Sorry about misleading you as I am writing this on my desktop computer that doesn't have the problem.

Used a USB mouse when it froze today, and that didn't cure it.

So back to square 1....this is frustrating and I'm getting the impression that you have no experience with this problem. If you don't, that's o.k. but maybe someone else does, so please open this up to others.

Incidentally, the mouse (and pad) pointer moves normally, which allows me to move off the desktop in open some programs in the left dialog box and startup at the bottom of the screen.

I am now opting out so that other experts can help you further.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Regards,
Jess
Jess
Jess
Jess, Computer Support Specialist