I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 WiFi only. I cant get it

Customer Question
I have a Samsung Galaxy...
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 WiFi only. I can't get it to connect to my PC so I can transfer media files. The Samsung video show just connecting with the USB cable and then it should be recognized as an external drive. This won't work. I've downloaded the latest USB driver from the Samsung site. It installs, but doesn't work. Nothing visually happens, but when I check Device Manager (Vista SP3), it says there was error code 10 on the device.

Sine there is no SD slot, this is the only way to get my files there. How can I get this function to work?

Thank you.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Computer
9/12/2011
Tech Support Specialist: kweiner, Consultant replied 6 years ago
kweiner
kweiner, Consultant
It is possible to use the Samsung Kies software to transfer file via WiFi instead of USB. See this link: http://dnewandroidapps.com/how-to-synchronize-galaxy-tab-10-1-with-pc-via-wifi.html/. Some people have also reported the USB connection working after installing Kies.
My computer doesn't have a WiFi card; it uses Ethernet. FYI - I also installed Kies from Samsung which also installed a USB driver. It doesn;t see the Tab either. I can conenct through Bluetooth, but that is too slow and inefficient to be practical.
Your computer doesn't need wifi as long as the Ethernet connects to the same wifi router as the tab.

I followed the instructions above for WiFi with Kies and still not connection. I installed Kies. My computer connects to my home network using the name of my Cisco Router (MYNEWONE). When I open Kies, there is an option to connect to a device wirelessly, but it is not enabled; it sees no device.

On my Tab, the instructions say to select Wireless and Networks optipn 'Kies via Wifi'. I have no such option. I am connected to the wireless connection named MYNEWONE.

Something is definitely missing, but I think I've tried everything!

One more piece of information. I was just able to download the USB drivers from Samsung to an XP PC. This is the same page from which I downloaded the drivers used on my Vista PC; they don't distinguish between them; the label says XP/Vista/Windows 7.

They worked on the XP PC. Pitty I have all my media on the Vista machine. Could it be that driver just doesn't work correctly for Vista?

When Kies works, it has some advantages (like managing firmware updates), but since it's not cooperating, I would recommend using the free Android Sync Manager software. You can download the PC part at http://global.mobileaction.com/product/product_AM.jsp, and get the corresponding Android agent from the Android Market (just search on the name). Run it on both sides, make sure both have the same numeric PIN, and it should sync up automatically.
Andoid USB drivers are often flaky. Try switching to another port, that sometimes helps. Also try restarting, both with the tab already plugged in, and waiting until the restart completes.
kweiner
kweiner, Consultant
You're a genius! I had tried other USB ports but not directly into the computer. Changing this and doing the restart worked. Kids even updated the firmware. Maybe now things will be easier. Thank you SO much.
kweiner
kweiner
kweiner, Consultant