I cannot view a video on my computer. I can hear it but cannot

Customer Question
I cannot view a video...
I cannot view a video on my computer. I can hear it but cannot see it. Please help????
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Computer
8/27/2011
Tech Support Specialist: CompuGeek, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 6 years ago
CompuGeek
CompuGeek, Computer Hardware Engineer

CompuGeek :

I am one of the Expert with justanswer.com who will be assisting you and will fix the problem in no time for you. Welcome to the justanswer chat. Please explain the problem a bit more.

CompuGeek :

Is it the video files which you cannot see and can hear or is it the computer which has no display?

JACUSTOMER-vvmrr9lj- :

I want to view videos, say on news or on facebook that people post, but when I hit the arrow key I can hear the sound, but the video disappears

JACUSTOMER-vvmrr9lj- :

I think it's the video files

CompuGeek :

ok

CompuGeek :

do you have quicktimes and other software accelerators installed on the computer like flash, shockwave and air installed on the computer

JACUSTOMER-vvmrr9lj- :

I think I do

CompuGeek :

must be corrupted that is why the videos are not getting played

CompuGeek :

when was it working last time

JACUSTOMER-vvmrr9lj- :

ok. what should I do. It hasn't worked for probably at least 2 months, but didn't know what to do

CompuGeek :

try to reinstall the flashplayer, shockwave and adobe air again

JACUSTOMER-vvmrr9lj- :

Ok I need to delete what I have on there now?

CompuGeek :

yes

CompuGeek :

Please follow these steps to upgrade to the most recent version of Adobe's Flash Player:

1. Before installing Adobe Flash, you will need to first uninstall any older versions you currently have running on your computer. To do so, download Adobe's official uninstaller here. Make sure to select your correct operating system, and then "Uninstall Flash."
  2. Now that you've uninstalled the older version of Flash, follow Adobe's instructions for reinstalling the most recent version. The download option is on the right-hand side of the page.
  3. Once you've downloaded the file, please exit your browser first, and then install the upgraded version of Flash to you're computer.
  4. Finally, open your browser again and go to YouTube. You should now be able so successfully watch videos!

If the instructions above don't resolve the issue, please also try the following:

1. Temporarily disable popup blocking software installed on your computer to test.
  2. Allow YouTube.com as a trusted site in your Firewall software.
  3. Ensure other applications like Quicktime, iTunes, Real Player, or Windows Media Player aren't set as the default streaming application, as this might affect the video player.
  4. Make sure your computer is set up properly for Flash by checking out Adobe's Advanced Troubleshooter here.

lightbulb
Full Size Image
If you continue having difficulty viewing videos...

JACUSTOMER-vvmrr9lj- :

ok. I will save this to favorites and do that now. Will check back with you as soon as I can.

JACUSTOMER-vvmrr9lj- :

thank you

CompuGeek :

If all your question was answered to your satisfaction you may hit the accept button to reward the time.

CompuGeek :

Please ask in case you need further support or have any question

JACUSTOMER-vvmrr9lj- :

ok. I uninstalled Flashplayer, Shockwave and Adobe Air. Reinstalled them all. Restarted computer and videos still do not play. I can hear the sound, but there is no video

Tech Support Specialist: Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist replied 6 years ago
Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com.

Please reset Internet Explorer:
  1. Close all Internet Explorer windows and folders.
  2. Click Start , and then click Control Panel.
  3. Open Network and Internet, open Internet Options. Then click on Delete and delete everything.
  4. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset.
  5. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.

If there is still any issue, please download and install Firefox browser at
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/new/
then close Internet Explorer. Then open Firefox and go to www.facebook.com and www.youtube.com or website in Firefox and check if videos play fine in Firefox (you might be asked to install Flash Player one more time).

Please let me know if there is still any issue later; please let me know if this works or not. Thank you.

Thanks,
-Viet