how do I stop pop ups from appearing on my facebook page, If

I stop them will it...
how do I stop pop ups from appearing on my facebook page, If I stop them will it speed up my page as it has started to become slow it appears to be constantly loading, please help
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/6/2011
Eagon
Eagon, Computer Support Specialist

Eagon :

Hello, I can help you with this question

Eagon :

Do the pop ups only appear in facebook? nowhere else?

Customer:

yes only on facebook

Eagon :

okay, this is usually caused by facebook themes or installed apps

Eagon :
Try this
If you have installed Facebook themes or any other app related to facebook on your computer then uninstall it.

1. Click on the Start Menu, and select Control Panel
2. Go to Uninstall a program Or Add/Remove Programs
3. Find and select Face Theme from the list of installed programs. Then Click uninstall.

Also scan your computer with Malwarebytes.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Try this as well
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Troubleshooting+extensions+and+themes
Eagon :

You may also want to try removing apps from facebook itself that may be causing the pop ups. Once you have logged in to Facebook, click on the Account button at the top right of the page and then select the option that says “Privacy Settings.”
[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]
Once you have done this, near the bottom left of the page, click on the link that says “Edit your settings.”
Now, at the right extreme of the “Apps you use” area, click on the button that says “Edit Settings.”

Once you have clicked on that button, you will see a list of all the applications you have authorized. On that list, click on the x at the right extreme of the app you want to remove. The system will ask you to confirm the action, and then the application will be removed from your account, which means that it will no longer have access to your data.

Customer:

ok uninstalled faa

Eagon :

check and see if the popups continue. If they do then continue with the next suggestion I described.

Customer:

OK I have uninstalled facethemes from my programmes but I still receive advertisements, are advertisement the same as pop ups

Eagon :

advertisements on the side are nomal

Eagon :

popups in the center of the screen are not

Eagon :

blocking your view

Eagon :

does this answer your question?

Eagon :

or do the popups still occur?

Customer:

I am currently uninstalling all my apps that I do not use, will see how that affects performance

Eagon :

okay let me know

Customer:

it is working faster but i still get adverts in centre part, they re videos and want me to click on them.

Eagon :

what are the advertisements for?

Customer:

some are games some are adverts to work from home some are single sites wanting members

Eagon :

are you using internet explorer or firefox?

Customer:

explorer

Eagon :

trying running firefox and see if the popups show on there. If they do not then we know Internet Explorer is the culprit

Customer:

not sure how to run firefox

Eagon :

you can download it here: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/fx/

Eagon :

click on the green firefox free download button

Customer:

what does it do

Eagon :

it is a browser just like Internet explorer

Eagon :

Your browser most likely has adware attached to it causing the popups. By running firefox and seeing if the popups show or not will determine the cause

Eagon :
Also scanning your computer with Malwarebytes. Will likely find the adware causing the popups and remove them. You can download that free program here:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/
Eagon :

install and run a scan of your computer. This may take some time depending on your computer. You can bookmark and come back later to this page and let me know your results. http://www.justanswer.com/computer/5dhue-stop-pop-ups-appearing-facebook-page.html

Customer:

Just downloaded firefox and all the adverts are removed, will leave it at that just now, if any problems then I will try the malwarebytes next. Thanks for your help.

Eagon
Eagon, Computer Support Specialist
Eagon
Eagon
Eagon, Computer Support Specialist