cannot login to my.yahoo.com or att.my.yahoo.com. get an error

Customer Question
cannot login to my.yahoo.com or...
cannot login to my.yahoo.com or att.my.yahoo.com. get an error message of We noticed you may have signed in or signed out in another window. Click OK to reload your page. and when I do that i just get the same message back. any other url will open without the message, but att.my.yahoo.com is my preferred home page and I cannot get this fixed.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Computer
8/6/2011
Tech Support Specialist: Justin, Network Administrator/Not Limited replied 6 years ago
Justin
Justin, Network Administrator/Not Limited
Try resetting your browser cache.

First, go to start My Account on the upper right of the justanswer page, and click Edit Password.

Set your password XXXXX click Save Changes at the bottom.

Next, write down these instructions:.

1) Click start, click Run. Type inetcpl.cpl and hit enter.

2) Click the advanced tab. Click Restore advanced settings.

3) Underneath that, click Reset, check the box (if present) and click Reset again.

This has to be done with Internet Explorer and all IE windows closed.

I recommend doing it immediately following a restart.

After doing it, test the sign in page again.

To return to me and let me know the results, go to www.justanswer.com and click Login at the top right, sign in with email and password. Then click My Questions on the top right.
Justin
This did not work, I tried this when working with Att yesterday. They said not their problem, but maybe browser problem. More info. when loging into the PC, this does not happened when I access my user account. But when George goes into his user account on any PC it happens. I have cleared history and cookies and reset internet options 100 times and nothig is fixed.
As a simple test, let's try installing firefox (just to see if internet explorer is the issue)

Go to www.firefox.com

Download it, install it. See if it suffers the same symptoms and let me know.

Be sure during the install you do NOT make it your default browser (uncheck the box)
did the load of the firefox, then did restart pc, did not fix. I followed the directions so as to not set as default browser.
So you get the same issues inside Firefox.

I just need to be sure you tested it in firefox, not in internet explorer

You still need to open firefox and sign into your att account.

Yes, it says a big orange Firefox at the upper left. and as soon as it goes to http://att.my.yahoo.com I get the message again and it blocks access to the home page unless i close the error block and QUICKLY hit the Y for yahoo in the upper left.

sorry to be such a bummer this morning

That's ok, I just need to be clear as sometimes steps get missed and all goes screwy.

It still sounds like your temp files are messed up though.

Try this next.

Go to inetcpl.cpl again. In the general tab next to temp files, click Delete

Check ALL the boxes and then click Delete.

Restart your computer.

Be sure to repeat these steps inside your husband's account as well (if its a separate windows account).

Okay I did that, and restarted and went to my account to make sure I had not messed anything up on it. It is still fine. so I logged my account off and went to his account and tried to log in to the IE and Firefox and got the message on both browsers. I had deleted all of this stuff several times yesterday and today, but I'll keep trying anything you suggest, because I am at a loss on this,.
Oh you're not using separate accounts, you're actually using one account and just signing on and off through the web interface.

I see what's going on

Do you have yahoo messenger installed by chance?

no we do have separate accounts. when the pc is shut down and then turned on, it brings up a log in box for me and a separate on for George. neither of us have yahoo messenger
There's a ton of people with this same issue.

As a test, do the following.

start > run > inetcpl.cpl

Set your homepage to yahoo.com

NOT my.yahoo.com etc.

Now sign in to the working account. Sign out.

Close internet explorer, open it again (yahoo should be default sign in now) and then click Sign in, see if you can sign in with george's account.

For some reason I think IE is keeping the login active still, possibly due to your homepage setting.

remember, at the first of this, I said if I set the home page to yahoo.com or google or anything other than the my.yahoo.com or att.my.yahoo.com it works without the message. but all of the information that he uses is on the homepage for att.net and this is not getting there
This is a recent issue (as posted on multiple forums I'm finding).

I'm not recommending he not use "att.my.yahoo.com" but you can simple create a shortcut/bookmark/favorite to it so after opening Internet Explorer and going to a home page you can click one extra link to return to there.

I just don't want the account login page as the home page at this time, as that seems to be the culprit on everyone suffering this symptom.

Have you tried setting the home page to ANYTHING else.

Then navigating to att and seeing if you can log in properly? I realize its one extra step, but if this is an issue on the yahoo server's end (as it seems to be given the level of inquiries related to this issue in the last week), a work around must be found until "they" fix it.

okay, tried that and when i get to the att.net homepage, it locks again with the same error message.

so, it looks like he is just going to have to do without, because none of the fixes has worked and i feel like i am beating a dead horse.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX try, but i am tired of the tries.

I understand.

As I said, seems to be a common thing in the last few days beginning late July.

If you'd like another expert to give you some opinions on it please let me know.

If you were to separate your user accounts via Windows both of you could be signed in at the same time using switch users.

(start >control panel > user accounts or add user>)

Then start " Switch user" to juggle between the accounts.

This is what I thought you initially had in place, and when multiple people are using one computer, its usually your best course of action as to note overlap each other on sign ins and documents you save.

Either or though, apologize I couldn't find an easy resolution to your issue.
sorry, but I don't think another tech could do any better, you seem very competent. Sorry the issue could not be fixed. Is there a lesser fee that I can pay since it is not resolved??
That's entirely up to you, but yes, choose your value and I can forward it to the moderators to make the adjustment.

Since it is unresolved, but you obviously checked into the facts; I feel $10 for the hour would be fair. I hope the company can find who's fault this is and bill them since there seems to be other people that cannot get it fixed.
Yahoo's, and thank you, XXXXX XXXXX forward your request to the services department.

Justin
Justin