Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Qualified Computer Professional - 12+ years experience. Expert in Computer Hardware & Graphic Design
50064670

My windows live mail storage folders disappeared, and I had

Customer Question

My windows live mail storage folders disappeared, and I had a lot of them. Use W7 & PC
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 6 years ago.
Hi, welcome to justanswer. I am Jins here to assist you. Your Windows Live Mail storage folders aren’t lost. Probably, they have just been hidden from view. To restore these storage folders, simple choose to unhide them from the Windows Live Mail layout options.

Use the Alt-M key combination to bring up a small drop down menu.

Select “Layout“.

graphic

Choose “Folder pane” and put a check mark in front of “Show Storage folders“.

graphic

The disappeared / missing storage folders will be restored in the Windows Live Mail program.

By the way, though the storage folders are placed close to the bottom of the folders pane, you can move them up or down the list. Right-click and choose the appropriate option from the menu.

Regards
Jins

POSITIVE Feedback And A BONUS Are Always Appreciated ..

PLEASE CONTACT ME BEFORE LEAVING A NEGATIVE FEEDBACK

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I cannot make the layout drop down menu appear but have only given your suggestion a quick try because some folks are waiting on me to go to lunch.
I will try later today when I have more time.
I went through all of the headings to bring up different views but alt-m did nothing but frustrate me.
I should add that the storage folder heading did not disappear and that I have about 4 of the more than 40 storage folders that I should have.
Henry

Okay try again.

But, can you see the names of storage folders ? Only the contents missing ?

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no sign of the missing folders whatsoever.
Where does Windows live mail store its folders? Perhaps they are still there.

Henry
okay try to repair windows live mail by following these steps.

UninstallWindows live Mail, contain a feature allowing you to repair ill-functioning software. It is not accessible from where you would launch the program; you will have to dig a little bit to find it. However, it is not entirely difficult to find. The first thing to do is to launch Control Panel.

You will want the option that says, Uninstall a Program from the control panel. From your program list, look for Windows Live Essentials. Double-click it to continue.

Don't worry, we are not actually going to be uninstalling all of your Windows Live programs. Instead, we just want to repair the damaged ones. You will notice that by clicking on Windows Live Essentials, you will be prompted to choose to uninstall the programs, or just repair them. Be sure to click on the Repair option before hitting Continue.

From here, the program will automatically look through your installed Windows Live components and repair all of them. It does seem like a bit of a hassle considering if you’re only looking to repair just one of them, but if there are some other components that you have installed that could use a tune-up, it will perform the same maintenance on them as well.

RepairNaturally, in the future if you’re looking to uninstall certain Windows Live programs, you will be able to choose the programs you wish to remove, instead of getting rid of all of them.

Regards
Jins

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Oh me, oh my. I did the repair which went smoothly but unfortunately did not unearth my missing folders.
If we could find where Windows stores its Live Mail folder (such as inbox, storage, etc) I could take a look there. And if they are not there, I/we would give up.
I had a similar problem with XP and Outlook Express but was able to find the missing folders in their hidey-hole.
Henry
In Windows 7, chances are your email is stored in subfolders of C:\Users\ your logon name \AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail,

You may run into trouble navigating Windows Explorer to either of those folders, however. That's because several of the folders within those paths are hidden. But you can easily get inside these folders on thisway, click Start, type %homepath%\appdata\local in the start menu search text box and press ENTER.

If the Windows Live Mail folder isn't where I told you it would be, here's how to find it: In Windows Live Mail, press ALT to bring up the old-fashioned menus and select Tools, then Options. Click theAdvanced tab, then the Maintenance button. Click the Store Folder button. And there it is.

Sometimes your store folder is different from where your original folders are stored. If that is the case change the location of your store folder to the right place.

Regards
Jins

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry for delay but I have a head cold and am a bit under the weather.
1. Gettting directly to the Live Mail folder in C did not work.
2. Using start, %homepath etc led me to a group of folders but not live mail.
3. I opened the Live Mail program as though I were to use it for messages. Pressing alt button did not bring up anything nor any "old fashioned menu."
There is a grayed out Tools above which are two options: send/receive and work offline/online. Clicking on the grayed out tools did nothing no matter what I did with Alt button.

Version 2011 (Build 15.4.3508.1109) This is my version of Windows Live Mail.

Thank you for your persistence.
Henry
Okay, click here to see how to hide/unhide menu bar on your version of windows live mail.

You need to make your hidden folders visible to see the full path of windows live mail storage folder. Click here to see how to make hidden folders visible. After making all visible check C:\Users\ your logon name \AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail, folder

If it not helps, click here and try the static backup program to recover your mail data.

Regards
Jins

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have always shown the full tool bar in Windows Live Mail. I never hid it.

I have downloaded the How To show hidden W7 files and will work with it when I feel better. My cold has me rather worn out.

Henry
Okay, take your own time,

Get well soon.
Jins