Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

How do you restore Windows 7 computer to a specific date I

Customer Question

How do you restore Windows 7 computer to a specific date? I would like to restore it to yesterday, not a program installation date.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jerry Hannell replied 5 years ago.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

hello sir/madam. i would like to help you please let me know when you are ready.

Customer:

I am ready.,

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

it is called "system restore"

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

please do this:

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

please click your start button. go to ALL PROGRAMS >>>> ACCESSORIES >>>>> SYSTEM TOOLS >>>>> SYSTEM RESTORE

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

when you are there, it will ask you to pick a date

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

just select a date and do the restore.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

your computer will be restored to the date you select.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

it generally takes 5 or 10 minutes

Customer:

I have done that and am on the system restore window. It only has 2 options: 1. A date and time that is to 'undo the most recent update, driver, or software installation on a date 4 days ago. I want to keep the Installed Microsoft Office that is listed. The second option is 'Choose a different restore point' .

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

you can select the second option.

Customer:

I did and it shows a list of installed sofware, not a date.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

which installed softawre?

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

software?

Customer:

The Microsoft Office Standard 2003 that was installed 7/24 (and 1 other Microsoft Office 2000 for Small Business disc 2) that I want to keep.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

please try this:

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

select the FIRST option and undo your last restore.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

after doing this, go to system restore. this time it will not show you "undo system restore" option..

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

it will show you a date.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

so you can select an earlier date.

Customer:

The first optionis is highlighted, but I don't see an option to undo last restore.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

( It only has 2 options: 1. A date and time that is to 'undo the most recent update, driver, or software installation on a date 4 days ago. ) you said this a while ago, can you check it again.

Customer:

I understand that you want me to go back to the original window of "System Restore" and click first option: "Recommended restore" radio button, and click next? I was on the 2nd page of the 'choose a different restore point'.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

yes

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

oh i understood.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

can you close the system restore program and open it again.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

and select: undo

Customer:

I am at the window after I clicked next of the first option of main system Restore window. It says: Confirm your restore point. (I haven't restored anything yet to undo anything) Time: 7/24/2011. Description: Install: Installed Microsoft Office Standard edition

Customer:

I can click finish at the bottom?

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

yes

Customer:

A window says once started, System Restore cannot be interrupted, I assume I want to continue, and will click yes?

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

yes.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

let's wait.

Customer:

At the bottom of the warning box it says: System Restore cannot be undone until after it has completed. If System Restore is being run in safe mode or from the System Recovery Options, menu, it cannot be undone. Shall I click Yes?

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

yes

Customer:

It looks like it will run a process to restore it for my first time. I am waiting until it is finished.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

ok, let's wait.

Customer:

It is restarted and the box says: System Restore completed successfully. The system has been restored to 7/24/2011 4:09 pm. Your documents have not been affected. The Kaspersky virus software flashed a window that something is corrupted and it went away.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

now can you restart your computer.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

when you come back you can open system restore again and restore your computer to a date you want.

Customer:

I am waiting for it to restart. I plan to go back to all programs, accessories, system tools, system restore. It should restore my computer to the security settings on that day, I assume.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

yes. exactly.

Customer:

I have the exact same window on System Restore as before. It doesn't offer me a date. The first option is: Undo System Resore. I should choose that option and click Next?

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

strange. yes. can you select it and continue.

Customer:

After clicking Next, I am to confirm the restore point. It will Undo: Restore Operation. Shall I click: "Finish"?

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

ok can you select finish

Customer:

It is starting to shut down and restore. It is asking me to wait.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

let's wait.

Customer:

Now the system has been restored back to today, where I started. Back to my original question, how do you restore it to a specific date (yesterday) not the last program installed or 3 days ago?

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

let me opt-out now, and open this page to other experts.

if nobody opts-in back, we can continue again. Regards

Customer:

I will need to go to work in an hour, noon CST, just so you know.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

ok.

Customer:

I need to get ready for work now and will be available mostly on the weekend, except for Sunday afternoon/evening. I assume I will get an email when an answer is found. Good bye.

Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 5 years ago.
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com.

Windows does not create make a restore point each day; it only creates restore points when the computer is going to do some major changes, such as installing windows updates, installing/uninstall programs, etc.

Please try this: open Computer, then right-click on the DVD/CD drive letter, then click on Open, then you will see all the content in the cd/dvd disk.

Thanks,
-Viet
Experience: Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.