James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Experience:  20 years of experience building, fixing and servicing PCs and operating systems.
24111805

how to run CHKDSK / F TO CHECK HARD DRIVE CORRUPTION IF YOU

Customer Question

how to run CHKDSK / F TO CHECK HARD DRIVE CORRUPTION IF YOU CANT GET IN TO A MAIN SCREEN
Category: Computer
Expert:  James replied 6 years ago.

Boot into Safe Mode:
Reboot the computer, and keep tapping the F8 key immediately when the computer starts, and before you see the Windows Logo. You will see a black recovery console. Select Safe Mode from the menu.

Once in Safe Mode, you can run chkdsk /f

Thanks,

J.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
tried what you wrote went into safe mode pressed enter and went back to original blue screen with system error
Expert:  James replied 6 years ago.
That means your Windows installation is corrupt and needs to be repaired. A checkdsk will not help in this case.

Boot your computer from your Windows CD and run through Setup - it will then offer to repair your system. Allow Setup to do that.

Thanks,

J.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what if i havent the cd is there another way
Expert:  James replied 6 years ago.
Do you have Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7?

What is the make and model of the computer?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
windows 2000 professional built on nt technology yes its ancient . omega is the make
Expert:  James replied 6 years ago.
It is ancient...
Your best option is to get a CD on eBay - people are using used CDs for a fraction of the original cost.
This is the only option to fix the problem, since there is no way to start Windows from the current installation.

Thanks,

J.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
when i get this cd do i run set up or what do i do as i still cant get into the main screen
Expert:  DRobertson replied 6 years ago.

Intro:

Hi and thanks for writing us here at JustAnswer.com. Please know that to resolve your question may take some back and forth questions and answers.

We are here to help and will do our best to resolve your issue; we are not here to just make money. Also note that we do NOT work for any company and in no way represent them on their products and/or services.

-----------------------------------------------

Good morning.

I saw your posting and would like to try and help.

I did read your previous Q&A with the other expert, and while your waiting on that CD, I do have other items we can try. Maybe we can get you up and running faster.

restart and lets carry out the F8 key again. This time try the option "Safe Mode Command Prompt".

If you do NOT get the Stop Error (aka: BSOD), then this will give yo a screen to run your chkdsk.

If you get a Stop Error, then I would like to get some info from you and I can determine what exactly the Stop Error is about.

About half way down on that blue screen, there is a row of letters/numbers, starting with "0x0.....". Let me have that first set of numbers please. Also, if below there, we have a file name listed, then make sure to supply that to me also.

Finally, may I ask why your trying to run a chkdsk - so I can understand this issue better.

God bless

Expert:  James replied 6 years ago.

Once you get the CD, you boot from it (put it in your CD drive, and restart the computer).
This will start Windows Setup, and you will be able to re-install Windows on top of the your existing installation.
Your documents, files, etc will not be affected - you will not lose anything.

Thanks,

J.