After upgrading to Exchange 2010 from Exchange 2007, new users

or distribution groups added...
After upgrading to Exchange 2010 from Exchange 2007, new users or distribution groups added after the upgrade cannot be seen in the GAL by users who are runnning Outlook in cached mode. The GAL is complete in OWA or when Outlook is not running in cached mode. My research is indicating a problem with the OAB, but every suggested solution I've tried has not corrected the problem. Am I on the right track?
7/11/2011
Omer
Omer, Information Systems Manager

Omer :

Hi I am one of the experts here on Just Answer.com

Quick question what version of outlook are the users running?

One of the reasons this occurs is in cached mode the users rely on the OAB (offline address book) and once a day or so these update from the server.

One thing you can do in testing is on one of the users profiles delete the OAB file

Windows 7 and Windows Vista drive:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

Windows XP drive:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Once thats deleted try to have them sync that should re add the new groups.

Also it maybe a different file so if you can tell me the version of outlook I can be more specific these steps are for 2010

Customer:

We are using a mixed environment of Outlook 2003, 2007 and 2010. I set Outlook to cached mode, deleted the OAB files and downloaded the OAB. No new users or groups since the upgraded are in the GAL. There are old users that have been deleted still visible in the GAL. I tried this on all three versions of outlook with the same result.

Omer :

When you upgraded from exchange 2007 to 2010 did the exchange server go offline or is it still up and running?

Customer:

The upgrade happened several months ago, so the Exchange 2007 server no longer exists in our environment.

Omer :

Can you run this command to see what OAB the stores are using Get-MailboxDatabase | fl Name,OfflineAddressBook

Omer :

I see where you said the GAL list still shows delete users is that only for the cached users as well or everyone?

Customer:

Just users in cached mode.

Omer :

For the cached mode users have your tried basically wiping off their cached profile and then recreating it now that the Exchange 2007 is not there?

It seems as if it cached and stuck with settings from the Exchange 2007 server and until it wipes those out it wont properly authenticate and download OABs and GALs

Omer :

setting it up as a new cached profile would wipe out an lingering connection to exchange 2007 and download all the new connections and OABs ..... that the program needs to work offline

Customer:

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-MailboxDatabase | fl Name,OfflineAddressBook

Name : Mailbox Database XXXXXXXXXX br/>OfflineAddressBook : \Default Offline Address List

Customer:

How do I delete every active users cached profile?

Omer :

Before we get to that have you fully updated exchange 2010?

Omer :

I ask because I know that Roll up 3 I believe fixed issues with OAB and outlook 2003 syncing correctly.

Customer:

All updates except last months and the update to IE9

Omer :

Thanks how many users work in cached mode as opposed to online ?

Omer :

Do you have a test account you can try deleting the user profile from and creating a new one?

Customer:

Is there anyway for me to determine how many users from the EMC? otherwise, I can't give you an accurate count. Maybe 50-50? I'd like all users in cached mode but this has been the work-around until I can get this issue resolved

Customer:

I'm looking now to see if there's an existing account I can use for testing

Omer :

Ok

Customer:

I have an account to use.

Omer :

Alright give it a try and see if it gets the correct Gal and OAB when setup as a new profile

Customer:

Were do I delete the cached profile? we are using roaming profiles. Will I delete it locally?

Omer :

Which version of outlook is in the profile you are using?

Omer :

or the computer

Customer:

This user has Office 2007 on a Vista Pro computer

Omer :

Can I ask how you are using Roaming profiles with Cached Exchange?

Omer :

er cached outlook i mean

Omer :

As outlook generally saves the file as a local settings file which doesnt replicate with roaming profiles?

Omer :

You would still get some of the settings but as your machines have different versions of outlook on them doesn't this cause you issues?

Customer:

I suppose that means that an OST file is created locally everytime someone logs in to a computer with cached mode enabled?

Omer :

Unless they have a file saved there from a previous log on? If they were to log into another machine they havent used before and log in there Roaming information would have some connection information but not the OST the emails were saved to

Omer :

This could by way your getting some sync issues

Customer:

we haven't had any issues to my knowledge. Is there an advantage to cached mode?

Omer :

If you are using roaming profiles it is usually recommended to run exchange in ONLINE mode instead of cached mode because of the conflicts that can arise

Customer:

Is there any advantage to cached mode?

Omer :

The only advantage to cached mode would be less network traffic back and forth from the exchange server and that the users have a local copy of their email and contacts if they are disconnected from the server that's about it.

Omer :

We use cache mode in my office only for users who work from home, or remotely so they dont have a lot of outlook traffic over their vpn connection

Omer :

By using online mode you don't have to worry about OAB and GALs updating on the local machine as its all handled by the server.

Customer:

but, shouldn't the OAB be updating on the local machine? even if we have only a handful of users in cached mode, they wouldn't be getting the current addresses in the GAL. How do I fix that?

Omer :

They should yes I would log into a roaming profile delete out the outlook profile, then find the ost and oab files on the computer delete those

Once all that was cleared and there were no lingering files setup your profile with the 2010 server once its setup and downloads the fresh information from that you should be good to go.

Omer :

Do people generally use the same computer in your office? Or are they always on different equipment using different types of outlook?

Omer :

You may also be having issues of someone having outlook settings for 3 versions in their roaming profile.

Customer:

whoa, you lost me. I can locate the OST and OAB files, but I'm not sure what you meant by "delete out the outlook profile".

Customer:

Also, how do you want me to " setup your profile with the 2010 server"?

Omer :

Sorry let me step back

Customer:

you're not asking me to delete and recreate the whole user account, right?

Omer :

Ok you want to delete the files out
Then you want to go to the control panel and open mail

Omer :

This should show you the list of active outlook profiles

Omer :

No not the user account just the outlook one

Customer:

ohhh...i think i got ya

Omer :

Make sure that the outlook profiles are gone

Customer:

ok, give me a few minutes to accomplish this

Omer :

then open outlook it should act like its opening for the first time and ask you what type of account
Pick Exchange then point it to your exchange 2010 box and put in the username information.
And set it to use cached mode

If everything is setup smoothly on the 2010 server it should download all email OAB and GAL for the user and it should all be fresh and up to day

Omer :

OK ill be here

Omer :

Any luck?

Customer:

I deleted the profile, OST and OAB from 3 different users each using a different version of Outlook. They were all successful. I can now see the current users and groups in the GAL running cached mode.

Omer :

Thats excellent

Customer:

If this is the solution, then I'll have to delete all outlook profiles on all computers for all users who login to those computers? ouch.

Omer :

This is what will have to be done but you could probably automate it with a login script that runs when each person logs in and have it delete the files automatically but more or less this will have to be done one way or another

Customer:

that would delete the files but not the profile

Omer :

or if you dont want everyone to use cached mode you could ask them to change the setting to online

Omer :

in an email if you trust your users

Customer:

with a few exceptions, that would be the better solution

Customer:

so, the problem has something to do with the way the accounts were migrated from Exchange 2007 to 2010?

Omer :

not so much the migration but outlook not being able to update the settings for the new server throwing off the downloads of oab and gal

Omer :

It more has to do with cached mode then anything else

Omer :

Is there anything else i can help you with today?

Customer:

Would it be considered "best practices" not run Outlook for roaming profiles in oline mode instead of cached mode?

Customer:

Would it be considered "best practices" to run Outlook for roaming profiles in online mode instead of cached mode?

Omer :

Yes outlook should not be in cached with roaming profiles it should be run in online mode

Customer:

Thank you for your help today. I appreciate the time you've spent to help me understand the problem and find a solution.

Omer :

Glad I could help please accept the answer so we may close this question

Omer
Omer, Information Systems Manager
Omer
Omer
Omer, Information Systems Manager