I have just purchased a Packard Bell PAV80 with Windows 7.

Customer Question
I have an iomega 1TB...
I have just purchased a Packard Bell PAV80 with Windows 7. I have an iomega 1TB External Hard Drive which was being used with a MacBook but had also originally been filled from another windows laptop. The new computer does not present the hard drive in 'my computer' although it does know the device is connected (gives option of "eject iomega"). any ideas?

Thanks
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Computer
7/11/2011
Tech Support Specialist: Santonu, Computer Support Specialist replied 6 years ago
Santonu
Santonu, Computer Support Specialist

Please check if the disk drive is present in Disk Manager

Click Window icon

Type diskmgmt.msc in the Search bar and press Enter

In the lower part of Disk Management window, check if the drive is listed. It will be marked as Disk 1, Disk 2 etc (please note that Disk 0 is the primary hard drive of your computer)

If the external drive is listed, then check if a drive letter is assigned to it

If not, then right click on it (you actually need to right click on the drive partition which will be on the right side of the drive)

Click Change Drive Letter and Paths

If no drive letter are assigned, click Add, select the letter that you want to use, and then click OK.

If the drive is not listed in the Disk Management window, open Device Manager

Click Windows icon

Type devmgmt.msc in the search bar and press Enter

In the Device Manager window, expand Disk drives

Let me know if the drive is listed there

Thanks

The drive is listed but all options apart from Delete Volume and Help are greyed.
Can you right click on the disk drive (right click on the disk drive name that is Disk1 or Disk 2) and look for the option Online

If present, click on it and then check if a drive letter is assigned to it

Yeah it is online already but no drive letter assigned
Open Device Manager

Click Windows icon

Right click on the external drive and select uninstall (make sure that your right click on the proper drive)

Disconnect the drive

Then re-connect it (if possible to a different USB port)

Open Disk Manager again and let me know if it allow you to assign a drive letter now

No, still grey.
The problem is probably due to partition type (on the external hard drive).

Unfortunately I am out of options about what to try next. I will opt out to see if others can provide a solution.

You will receive an email notification when other experts join you.

Thanks

OK thanks anyway. How do I refund my money?
Tech Support Specialist: Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist replied 6 years ago
Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com.

In order to read the external hard drive's MAC file type , you need the MacDrive software. You can download and install at http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive

Or you can go to Disk Management and delete the volume/partition and re-create it.

Thanks,
-Viet
No still no joy. Not to worry