I just bough a used ASUs k501 I think, and I dont know how

I just bough a used...
I just bough a used ASUs k501 I think, and I don't know how to boot from the disk. I want to erase the old drive to get rid of anything from the previous user. How do I do this?
6/19/2011
Bernie
Bernie, Computer Specialist

Bernie :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you today, please add this page to your favorites or bookmarks first.

Bernie :

Let me know when you're ready to start this chat.

Customer:

just give me a minute. I need to save the page first

Bernie :

Sure

Customer:

ok ready to go

Bernie :

Lets try this first, Restart the Asus computer and immediately start tapping F9 > It should bring you to the built in recovery partition of the computer

Bernie :

Most Asus laptops have one built in so you can restore to factory settings without having to boot from the recovery disk

Customer:

I am so stupid I used the asus to contact you. how can I get back with you on a different computer?

Bernie :

Oh that's fine, no problem

Bernie :

From another computer, go to this web address: http://is.gd/4kCMzP

Bernie :

Or, go to www.justanswer.com

Bernie :

And login to your account, then click My Questions in the upper right

Bernie :

And you 'll see your question to click and it will bring you right back here

Customer:

how do i log into my account?

Bernie :

Did you sign up with JustAnswer with an email and password?

Customer:

I just found out that they're sending me the password. once second

Bernie :

Ok

Customer:

ok now i'm on the other computer and will try to restart with f9

Bernie :

Great, sounds good

Customer:

I'm on the other comptuer now. I assume that I need to have the disk in the disk drive when I restart the computer right?

Bernie :

Actually, you'll want to take that out for now

Bernie :

Then restart the Asus computer and immediately start tapping F9 > It should bring you to the built in recovery partition of the computer

Customer:

it says choose an operating system to start or press tab to select a tool

Bernie :

Go ahead and choose windows 7 if it gives that choice

Customer:

also to specify and advanced opion for this choce press f8 tools windows memory diagnostic

Customer:

all it says is windos set up ems enabled, but I don't have the disk in, should I now put the windows 7 disk in

Bernie :

Hmm...that is strange, please exit that, go ahead and turn off the asus

Bernie :

The disk that you have, does it say Factory recovery media on it?

Customer:

ok

Customer:

no it says windows 7 professional. I want to wipe the old drive clean and install a brand new windows 7 system fromt he disk

Bernie :

I see, one moment please

Bernie :

Reboot the Asus pc, and as soon as starts back up, start tapping F2 or F12 or del, which ever one works, to get to your BIOS screen. You'll find all the navigational keys listed at the bottom > Get to the boot tab, look for the option to set the boot priority of your CD to first and make sure the Hard Drive is second. SAVE and exit when done > Now insert the Windows CD, restart, at the prompt press any key to boot from it.

Customer:

Is this with or with out the windows 7 dvd in the drive?

Customer:

just finished reading it duh

Bernie :

I'm sorry, without, that's ok

Customer:

f 2 got me to bios setup utility

Bernie :

Ok great, at the bottom of the BIOS, it should show you how to move around in the BIOS, please refer there when trying to select different menus and change settings

Bernie :

At the top of the bios, you should see different tabs, do you see a boot tab?

Customer:

without, It gives e the choices

Customer:

boot device priority

Customer:

hard disk drives

Customer:

i chose cd/dvd then it says specifies the boot device priority sequence from available cd/dvd drives

Bernie :

Ok good, can you make the cd/dvd drive the first boot device

Customer:

Do i now put the idsi ki? and how do I save this configuration? f 10 save and exit? before or after I put int th

Bernie :

Right, F10 to save and exit once you've made the changes

Bernie :

Go ahead then and insert the cd

Customer:

it doesn't say first or second, it just is highlighted as dc dvd

Bernie :

Then power off the computer, and turn it back on with the cd inside

Customer:

Should I save and exit first

Bernie :

Yes

Customer:

I think as soon as I saved it it went to windows. it says starting windows

Bernie :

Ok, go ahead and insert your Windows CD at this time

Bernie :

Then, restart the computer again

Customer:

OK will take a minute

Bernie :

sure thing

Customer:

What language do you want to recover Englsih should I press next

Bernie :

Yes

Customer:

I want to erase the whole old drive do I click on recover windows to first partition only , to entier HD or entire HD with two partitions

Bernie :

Pick entire HD

Customer:

it's gone to greyish screen and says recovery in progress. is this all now? Will it wipe everything clean now and then just take me through the steps of installing windows 7 or is there more to it?

Bernie :

At some point, did it ask you if you would like to install an upgrade, or custom installation?

Customer:

no

Bernie :

Ok, go ahead and let it finish installing, it should wipe everything clean

Customer:

And then?

Bernie :

Then you can use a clean windows and start setting up your accounts

Customer:

Will i then have to go back into bios and have it start from the hard drive?

Bernie :

Oh no, after it's done there, it should give you steps (like naming your account, setting up the internet), just go through those

Bernie :

Then it will log you back into a clean windows

Bernie :

At that point you can take out the CD

Customer:

Once I take out the CD, will it automatically start up from the hard drive then?

Bernie :

Yes

Customer:

So we're done?

Bernie :

I believe so - I hope I have provided some helpful information, if so, please press the Accept Answer button.

You can return to this page at any time to continue with me if you have further questions on this, you can post right back to this page and I'll continue to assist.

Customer:

OK sounds great. Do I click out of this page now? Come back if I need to once it has done it's thing?

Customer:

or just to tell you that it went well (hopefully0?

Bernie :

Yes, please press Accept Answer, then you can come back to this page as needed.

Bernie :

Absolutely - you can post anything back to this page and I will be notified immediately

Bernie
Bernie, Computer Specialist
Bernie
Bernie
Bernie, Computer Specialist