How to connect iPad to wifi without password?

I forgot my wireless network...

I forgot my wireless network password. Can not connect my ipad to wireless connection without that. can you help me find my password  or reset it. i have no clue how to do it myself. is there any customer help desk number? Thanks in advance

Answered in 1 minute by:
6/14/2011
BrianPKelly
BrianPKelly, Consultant

BrianPKelly :

Hi there, My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to assist you today.

JACUSTOMER-zua2swjp- :

ok. hello

BrianPKelly :

Okay. .

So quick question. .

Is the computer you're on right now connected to the Internet via the wireless?

JACUSTOMER-zua2swjp- :

yes

BrianPKelly :

Okay, and what operating system are you running?

JACUSTOMER-zua2swjp- :

can ask a simple question I am not sure what you mean any example???

it is windows 7

BrianPKelly :

Okay. ..

In Windows 7 the wireless networking icon should look like cell phone bars. If you look in the lower right-hand corner by your clock do you see it?

JACUSTOMER-zua2swjp- :

are you there

BrianPKelly :

Yes. . .

JACUSTOMER-zua2swjp- :

it sais network 3 intenet access

BrianPKelly :

Okay, do this for me. . .

JACUSTOMER-zua2swjp- :

tell me

BrianPKelly :

Go to your Start button, and on the right-hand side you should see Control Panel. Click that and another window will open. Inside that window you'll probably see a number of categories. Tell me if you see one called Network and Internet.

JACUSTOMER-zua2swjp- :

and then?

BrianPKelly :

Click Network and Internet, then click on Network and Sharing Center. Let me know when you're there.

JACUSTOMER-zua2swjp- :

there are subfolders under that should i clik Network and sharing on top ?

BrianPKelly :

Yep.

JACUSTOMER-zua2swjp- :

cliked

BrianPKelly :

When you do that, it should take you to another page and on the right-hand side it will say Access Type Connections and should list your wireless network. Do you see that?

JACUSTOMER-zua2swjp- :

I don't see that list :(

I do know the name ow my wireless network, could it help?

sorry for typo

BrianPKelly :

Well, only if we can get to this page. . .

When you click on Network and Sharing Center does it take you to another page with the heading "View your basic network information and setup connections."?

JACUSTOMER-zua2swjp- :

yes

BrianPKelly :

Okay, do you see the heading that says "View your active Networks"? It should be the first one under the icons at the top.

JACUSTOMER-zua2swjp- :

i see that

BrianPKelly :

Okay, right under that heading, on the right-hand side, you should see "Access Type Connections." Do you see that?

JACUSTOMER-zua2swjp- :

yes

BrianPKelly :

Okay, does that say "Internet" and then under that "Wireless Network Connection" in blue?

JACUSTOMER-zua2swjp- :

it sais Internet in black and Local area connection below that in blue

BrianPKelly :

Okay, so you're not connected wirelessly then.

Give me one minute, let me double-check something for you. ..

Okay, do you know what model your router is?

JACUSTOMER-zua2swjp- :

I am, I have my cable through US Wireless and router is cisco limksys

BrianPKelly :

Right, but you're connected via a cable,

Okay, let's try this. . .

Do you know how to open up a new tab or browser?

JACUSTOMER-zua2swjp- :

no clue, model for linksys isWRT54G2

BrianPKelly :

Okay, that's good.

Are you running Internet Explorer for your browser?

JACUSTOMER-zua2swjp- :

new tab like search??

yes

BrianPKelly :

Well, a tab like where you can have multiple browser pages open in the same window. . .

So like you might have this chat session open in one tab, Yahoo open in another, etc.

JACUSTOMER-zua2swjp- :

yes

BrianPKelly :

Okay, up a new tab and, in the address bar at the top, enter 192.168.1.1 and his enter. This should pull up a password ***** When you get the prompt, leave the username blank and enter "admin" (without the quotes) for the password.

Give that a shot and then switch back to me and let me know how it goes.

JACUSTOMER-zua2swjp- :

ok, and than

BrianPKelly :

Okay, so are you at Linksys configuration screen?

JACUSTOMER-zua2swjp- :

it sais it's not secure didn't press ok, should i?

BrianPKelly :

Yeah, it's fine. Go ahead.

JACUSTOMER-zua2swjp- :

it is asking me for user name and pasword again. on top is my model number

BrianPKelly :

Okay, go ahead and enter it again.

JACUSTOMER-zua2swjp- :

it is asking again...user name blank only passwor - admin, correct?

BrianPKelly :

Right.

JACUSTOMER-zua2swjp- :

Is my network name the user name?

so what now?

BrianPKelly :

The user name should be blank. Is it not taking it?

JACUSTOMER-zua2swjp- :

nope, I did it again and it gave me 401 not authorized

BrianPKelly :

Okay, in that case it sounds like something other than the default credentials were set when the router was initially set up/

Hmm. . .

Do you have any computer that is connected to the network without a cable? One that is definitely going over the wireless?

JACUSTOMER-zua2swjp- :

i do have a laptop in addition that is going over wireless

only one is connected to the cable

BrianPKelly :

Is it also running Win 7?

JACUSTOMER-zua2swjp- :

yes

BrianPKelly :

Okay, is it nearby?

JACUSTOMER-zua2swjp- :

next to me

BrianPKelly :

Okay, on that laptop I want you to do what we did before: Start-->Control Panel-->Network and Internet-->Network and Sharing Center. Then look on the right and tell if "Access Type Connections" says "Wireless Network Connection."

JACUSTOMER-zua2swjp- :

ok

It is; Access Type: in black Internet

BrianPKelly :

And under that?

JACUSTOMER-zua2swjp- :

below is Wireless network connection and (Lana_Network) below

BrianPKelly :

Okay, excellent. Here's what I want you to do. . .

JACUSTOMER-zua2swjp- :

listening

BrianPKelly :

Click on Wireless network connection and (Lana_Network) and another window will come up. Then click on the Wireless Properties box in the top field. That will bring up another window. Click on the Security tab at the top. You should see a field that says Network security key. If it's all circles or stars, check the box that says "Show Characters."

Let me know when you've done that.

JACUSTOMER-zua2swjp- :

you are genius!!!! got my password. Thank youuuuu!!!!

BrianPKelly :

Hooray!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad we could get it all figured out for you!

JACUSTOMER-zua2swjp- :

Ok, thanks again. Bye

BrianPKelly :

No problem. Have a good day!

JACUSTOMER-zua2swjp- :

you too

BrianPKelly
BrianPKelly, Consultant
BrianPKelly
BrianPKelly
BrianPKelly, Consultant