I am not getting any sound on my computer. Have tested the

I am not getting any...
I am not getting any sound on my computer. Have tested the speakers on another computer and there is nothing wrong with the speakers. Have also run troubleshooting but to no avail. What can I do now?
6/14/2011
Dan, Computer Support Specialist

Dan :

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer, I would be happy to help you today. What version of Windows are you using and have you installed any software or updates recently?

Customer:

XP. Don't think I have installed any softward recently. Computer automatically gets Windows updates

Customer:

Are you there?

Dan :

Can you check your Device Manager and see if there are any problems indicated there please?

Customer:

Did that earlier and everything indicated no problems.

Dan :

Have you also checked sounds in control panel?

Customer:

Yes.

Dan :

Did this problem just occur recently?

Customer:

I'm pretty sure it was working last night. Just hasn't worked today. I also ran my anti-virus software to make sure I wasn't infected. I have done about all I can think of. Even hooked the speakers into another computer and they are working just fine.

Dan :

Are you using a sound card or is the audio integrated into the mother board?

Customer:

I'm not sure. You would have to help me with that.

Dan :

Do you have any specific audio software installed, something like sound blaster by chance?

Customer:

No.

Customer:

Only what came with the system. Unless Itunes counts.

Dan :

Open your Device Manager again and go to the sound section and open it and tell me what it says.

Customer:

Do y ou want me to click on Sound, Video and Game controllers

Dan :

Yes please

Customer:

Audio Codecs, Legacy Audio Drivers, Legacy Video Capture Drivers, Media Control Drivers, Sound Max Integrated Audio, Digital, Unimodem Half Duplex Audio Drivers, Video Codecs

Dan :

Did your computer come with any driver or restore CD's?

Customer:

Most likely, Not sure where they are right now, but I will look

Customer:

I found Drivers and User Documentation

Customer:

Can't find the restore CD

Dan :

Well you shouldn't need them for what I am going to have you do but just wanted you to have them in case we loose the installed drivers. In Device Manager where you were just at, right click on the Sound Max Audio driver and select uninstall. You will then need to reboot your computer and it will reinstall the driver. Let me know when you can get back on line at this link: http://www.justanswer.com/computer/54lct-not-getting-sound-computer-tested.html

Customer:

After it reboots and I get to justanswercom, will I be sure to get you?

Dan :

I'll be here.

Customer:

Okay. Be back asap.

Customer:

I'm back. Did get the "Welcome",and "You've got mail" sound, but no sound on Utube music.

Dan :

Is that the only audio you are having problems with?

Customer:

It was all audio, but now it only seems to be the Utube videos. Also could be some radio stations I listen to but I haven't checked them. The computer told me it found new hardware - "Multimedia Audio Controller" and "Soundmax Integrated Digital Audio".

Dan :

That is what it should have done so that is fine. Do you have the audio speaker icon on your task bar? If so click it and open the mixer and make sure nothing is muted or turned down.

Customer:

The Icon was on there but now it is gone. Forget how to get to it.

Dan :

You will need to go into Control Panel then Sounds and Audio Devices. That will give you several tabs one of which will be audio. I believe it should be there but check all of them and see if audio devices are listed.

Customer:

All are on and nothing is muted.

Dan :

When you try to listen to youtube have you checked that audio setting on their player?

Customer:

It's showing me a red x by volume control. Never had that before. I assume it means it's muted, but I can't seem to unmute it.

Dan :

Can you send me the link?

Customer:

How do I send it to you?

Dan :

Just copy it from your address bar in your browser... you're going to the youtube website right?

Customer:

I'm going to songs I have in favorites. You won't like the music but here goes. I'm a jazz fan.

Dan :

I'll be right back.

Dan :

I think you have a bad or missing codec file. Go to this link and download and install the K-Lite codec pack and install it.

Customer:

Okay. Can I do it with you still there?

Dan :

Should be able to but if you loose me just go back the the link I sent you before.

Customer:

It's telling me that I should close all other files. Does it matter if I don't.

Dan :

i usually don't and never have a problem

Customer:

OK

Customer:

It's done.

Dan :

Check your audio.

Customer:

Still nothing on the YOuTube videos.

Dan :

Okay go back to Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs then look for either Macromedia or Adobe Flash Player. Uninstall it then google it and reinstall it. Reboot though after you uninstall then install the new player.

Customer:

Sorry I got booted off and took me a while to get back to you,

Dan :

I'm here.

Dan :

Were you able to finish?

Customer:

Yes, I think so. Both Macromedia and Adobe Flash Player are there. Which should I uninstall.

Dan :

Both.

Customer:

Okay. Be back in a while.

Dan :

I'll be here.

Customer:

Can't seem to get those programs downloaded. I don't know what the problem is. I think I'm just tired.

Dan :

Well would you like to try later and get back to me?

Customer:

I would like that. Will I get you next time if I just type in the link?

Dan :

Yup! Just respond like before but keep in mind that I am usually on in the evening so if you can just wait until around the 7 PM time and I should be here.

Customer:

Okay. Thanks so much. You've been great!!

Dan :

No problem. Take a breather, clear your head and get back to me when you can.

Customer:

OK.

Customer:

Just wanted to tell you that all is back to normal. Thank you so much for your help. If I have any more problems, will I be able to get you back?

Dan :

You can always request me but after you click accept that will close this question. You would then need to start and pay for a new question.

Customer:

Okay. Thank you so much

Dan, Computer Support Specialist
Dan, Computer Support Specialist