Magic C.
Magic C., IT/Network Engineer
Experience:  13+ years PC repair and building, MCDST, A+, and Networking
17932413

I have a Motorola Surfboard cable modem (SB5101U). I just

I have a Motorola Surfboard cable modem (SB5101U). I just recently moved and got RoadRunner Turbo from Time Warner for my internet service. I have a LAN set up also with a Cisco 2621 router. If I connect my computer directly to the modem, I have full internet connectivity. When I connect my router to the modem I get an IP address from Time Warner, and can ping the default gateway, but I have no internet connection. I cannot ping the Time Warner DNS servers from the router. The configuration on my router has not been changed from before I moved. The only thing that has changed is the modem and service (new modem from TW, and upgrade from RR base to RR Turbo).

Magic C. :

Hi, I'm Magic, and thanks for asking your question on JustAnswer. I will be glad to help you.

Magic C. :

Is your Cisco router setup to receive a DHCP address on Fa0/0?

Magic C. :

What you will need to do is use a configuration similar to this:

Magic C. :

interface fa0/0
ip address dhcp
no ip unreachables
no ip proxy-arp
no cdp enable

Magic C. :

This will allow fa0/0 to receive a DHCP address.

Magic C. :

on the inside interface, more than likely, it should be fa0/1. That would be configured for any internal NATing that you want to do

Magic C. :

most cable ISPs use the 10.x.x.x range for their management IPs, so I would use the 172.x.x.x or 192.x.x.x range for your internal NATing.

Magic C. :

you will need to setup the DNS servers directly as well.

Magic C. :

just ask TWC customer service what the DNS servers are.

Magic C. :

make sure that after you disconnect your computer from the cable modem that you powercycle the cable modem for at least 30 seconds and remove the coaxial cable from the modem. This will clear out all provisioning statements that your modem may have.

Magic C. :

afterwards, reconnect all power and coax, allow your modem to sync up, then plug in your router.

Magic C. :

interface fa0/1
ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
no ip proxy-arp
ip nat inside
no ip route-cache
no cdp enable

Magic C. :

ip dhcp pool internal
network 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
default-router 192.168.1.1
dns-server 64.87.64.146 68.87.75.194 <-------put RR Turbo DNS servers here

Magic C. :

access-list 1 permit 192.168.1.1 0.0.0.255

Magic C. :

Let me know if this helps

Customer:

The configurations you provided are very similar to what I have. Yes, Fa 0/0 is set to DHCP as my outside interface, and Fa 0/1 is set statically for my inside interface. I was able to get my internet working by changing how my router sends traffic out.

Customer:

I have some questions about statements in your configuration though. What is the purpose of the "no ip proxy-arp", "no ip route-cache", and "no ip unreachables" statements?

Customer:

What got my internet to work was removing the line "ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 fa 0/0", then adding the line "ip dhcp-client default-router distance 1"

Magic C. :

the purpose of no ip unreachables is to disable ICMP unreachable messages.

Magic C. :

the purpose of no ip proxy-arp is to disable proxy ARP on the interface.

Magic C. :

no ip route-cache disables switching methods for forwarding IP packets

Magic C. :

that sounds right removing the IP route statement since you don't have a static IP address.

Magic C. :

I'm assuming that the ip route statement was from the default configuration?

Customer:

I had the ip route in my configuration so that any other traffic would be sent out Fa 0/0. My configuration had been working fine before I moved with that line in the configuration.

Magic C. :

Ah, ok, that makes sense. Has the TWC area you moved to been upgraded to DOCSIS 3.0 yet? Most of the TWC areas are being upgraded to the new standard, which enables speeds up to 50M x 5M.

Customer:

I believe they have. They are calling it "wideband" internet, but I can't justify paying what they want for it.

Magic C. :

understandable.

Magic C. :

It all depends on what is needed.

Magic C. :

with the new higher speeds comes a higher "standard" RR Turbo speed as well

Magic C. :

now standard RR has gone from 7M x 384k to 10M x 1M, if I'm not mistaken

Magic C. :

I think RR Turbo is 15M x 1.5M, or something like that

Customer:

RR standard is supposedly 10x1 and RR Turbo is supposedly 15x2

Customer:

I went with the Turbo since I support my parents computers so I am grabbing files from my home servers at times.

Magic C. :

Very nice upgrade to speeds!!