Shauqat
Shauqat, Computer Engineer
Experience:  CCNA, 12+ Years Repairing desktops and laptops
31095191

my computer shuts down several times a day, every day for no

Customer Question

my computer shuts down several times a day, every day for no apparent reason. THEn i have to start all over again. CAn you help me? THANk you, XXXXX XXXXX [email protected]
Category: Computer
Expert:  Over-Certified PC Tech replied 6 years ago.
In this situation the most likey cause of numerous computer is the computer overheating. Is the fan making loud noises or no noise at all? After the pc is running for s while please put you hand next to the fan to see if the fan is working at all it if the air is hot. The air should be warm-up not hot. If it hot then you have a cooling problem.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thIS DOES NOT HELP
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
you have not helped! WHAt is this about a e-mail change?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the fan does get hot. it just went down again!
Expert:  Shauqat replied 6 years ago.
Hi

Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for your query.

Ok what we have to determine is whether the fault you are experiencing is a hardware fault or a software fault

Please can you do the following

Power down the PC
Power it on and when you switch it on it will say press del or esc or f2 to enter setup
Press the appropriate key, you will be presented with what we call a BIOS screen.
Leave the PC/laptop in there and see if it shuts down

Please let me know the result

Regards
Shauqat
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i shut down, and turned it back on . it does not give you time to go to del or esc or f2. it goes directly to asking for my password. i don't see a bios screen
Expert:  Shauqat replied 6 years ago.
ok lets try this

Shut it down
Power on the computer
Then immediately start pressing the F8 key continuously until you get a advanced startup menu
Choose safe mode
Once in safe mode see if the computer shuts down again

My suspicion here is that this is a hardware issue but the test above will confirm it

Regards
Shauqat
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i did as you said. started upin safe mode, and i not connected to anything. could not you a e-mail or get a web page. nothing. so i shut down again and it just booted up again on its own. i didn,time to do the f8. so here i am.
Expert:  Shauqat replied 6 years ago.
Yes in the F8 mode (safe mode) you will not have connectivity but i wanted you to leave it in that mode to rule out any software issues.

Please can you go back into safe mode or safe mode with networking if you want access to th net and see if at any point it shuts down

Regards
Shauqat
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I cannot shut down. there is no start button . do i shut down manually?
Expert:  Shauqat replied 6 years ago.
Please press the windows key on your keyboard located on the bottom left hand corner of your keyboard

If you do not have one of these then please close down manually

Regards
Shauqat
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it would not accept my user name and password. i really don' know where i stand now
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i closed down manually and booted up again, it would not accept my user name and pass word. i don't know what is happning now. i did get in, but don,t know how.. totally confused
Expert:  Shauqat replied 6 years ago.
Ok so can you get into safe mode or not?

Regards
Shauqat
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes i am into safe mode
Expert:  Shauqat replied 6 years ago.
ok so you are currently talking to me from safe mode?, you'll know its this as all the icons will look very big and it will say safe mode in all the corners

If so please leave in there and see if the computer shuts down

Regards
Shauqat
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
my computer is reporting errors, and is still asking for yet another user name and password, also my desktop screen is black and won't accept background pictures.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
In safe mode, i had other issues, which i sent in last question. i am no longer in safe mode, other issues have been resolved. I don't know yet if the first issue, that of my computer shutting down has resolved. We shall see and will let you know. Thank you for all of your help.
Expert:  Shauqat replied 6 years ago.
I was only addressing the shutting down issue, the other question I did not have visibility off

As mentioned above, i believe your computer will keep shutting down as i believe it to be a hardware issue

Regards
Shauqat
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I would like to wait to see if it keeps shuting down
Expert:  Shauqat replied 6 years ago.
No problem, please see what happens and advise us accordingly so i can assist further if need be

Regards
Shauqat
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
athank yoy!
Expert:  Shauqat replied 6 years ago.
No problem
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it cut off again today.
Expert:  Shauqat replied 6 years ago.
As I suspected it will be one of 2 things

1) The fan that sits on top of the processor is very dusty and will need to be cleaned out OR the fan itself is faulty

2) The thermal paste between the processor and the fan has degraded and will need to be replaced

Either way you will need to book the PC into a reputable PC shop

Regards
Shauqat