Im trying to open a card making program and get the following…

Customer Question
I'm trying to open a...
I'm trying to open a card making program and get the following message and I just downloaded the newest version of Adobe Reader. The message deals with email and pdf; it's just a greeting card.
"Adobe Reade cannot open 'darwin 2010.hcr' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was... Read full answer
"Adobe Reade cannot open 'darwin 2010.hcr' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded)."
My card making program is from Broderbund/Riverdeep and it is Printmaster Platinum 18 which i just purchased and loaded last December.
Thank you.
Sandra Eschelbach [email protected]
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/3/2011
Tech Support Specialist: Molinari, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Molinari
Molinari, Computer Support Specialist
Hi, thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

That's because it's an hcr file!
Reader only does pdf files....
If you want to convert it to a pdf, you need a virtual pdf printer like this free one:

http://download.cnet.com/PrimoPDF/3000-18497_4-10264577.html?part=dl-10264577&subj=dl&tag=button

Then act like you want to print it from within the card program and choose primopdf as your printer and it will save it as a pdf:

http://www.primopdf.com/help/um_primopdf_printer.aspx

Let me know if you run into any trouble...
It didn't work. I followed the instruction in 'Nitro PDF Reader'. I can't convert it if it won't open. Since your suggestion didn't work, I don't accept your answer and don't feel I should pay. Thank you for trying.
Nitro? It's supposed to be primo pdf....

The only program that will open the card hcr file, is the card maker program!
You can have a million pdf programs, but they will not open an hcr file.

When you are in the card program, does it give you the option to print the card?
Of course I can print the card the first time I create it. I can't open it a second time and print it again. When I save the card I created the card program gives it the '.hcr' tag.
You can't reload it into the open card program?
Does the card program give you the option to save it as any other format?
You should be able to print it to a printer pdf file from within the program.
The only program that can open it is the card program.

1) No I can't reload it into the open card program.

2) No

3) Can't

4) Yes

Just let me go without charging me. I don't want to waste any more of your time.

Did you at least install the primo pdf printer?

When trying to print anything , you'll have the option of choosing that and creating a pdf out of any file you are trying to print. You just have to make sure it's listed in your printers.

So you're telling me, once the card is made, you can't reload it into the program that created it? There's really no option to open it again?

When you use the SAVE AS option to save your work in PrintMaster, the file format is determined by the project you are saving. For example, a poster project would be saved as a *.sig file.

The *.gif, *.jpg, *.png file formats you mentioned would be used in PrintMaster ONLY when you use the EXPORT AS option.

PrintMaster currently offers the following file formats in EXPORT AS.

*.jpg

*.bmp

*.png

*.gif

*.pcx

*.tif

*.wmf

*.pmo (Broderbund Print Meta Object)

If your Broderbund product does not offer the 'Save As PDF' option in the 'File' menu, or if you experience problems while trying to use the 'Save As PDF' option, it should be possible for you to Print to PDF by doing this:

1. Select 'File' in the menubar, then select 'Print' in the menu that drops down.
2. When the 'Print' window opens, click on the down arrow next to the Printer 'Name' box, then select an installed PDF printer driver in the list that drops down.

It is very important to keep in mind that regardless of whether you choose to 'Save As PDF' or Print to PDF, it would be best to select the PDF printer driver in 'Print Setup' BEFORE saving the project in PDF format - just in case the PDF printer driver causes the project to be changed or shifted in any way.

* For all versions of PrintMaster EXCEPT PrintMaster 2.0, the 'Print Setup' option is accessed by selecting 'File' in the menubar, then selecting 'Printer Setup' then 'Print Setup' in the menu that drops down.

When the 'Print Setup' window opens, change the Printer 'Name' to the Broderbund PDF Converter (for WinXP) or to the Broderbund PDF Creator (for WinVista and Windows 7) or to any other installed PDF printer driver.

Look the project over to make sure that selecting the PDF printer driver didn't change anything.

When you are sure that everything looks right, you are ready to save the project in PDF format.

NOTE: Neither the Broderbund PDF Converter nor the Broderbund PDF Creator are compatible with the 64-bit version of either WinXP or WinVista or Win7 for 1) PrintMaster 18 or earlier, 2) Print Shop 23 or earlier or 3) Calendar Creator 12.1.

For PrintMaster 18.1 and Print Shop 23.1, it is possible to tweak the Broderbund PDF Creator so that it will work with those products, by doing this:
    1. Open Devices and Printers from the Control Panel.

2. Right click on Broderbund PDF Creator.

3. Click on Printer Properties.

4. View the Ports tab.

5. Click on the Add Port… button.

6. Highlight “Local Port” and click on the New Port… button (Not New Port Type…)

7. Enter any name for the port.

8. Restart Your Computer

9. Return to the application.

10. Save your project as a PDF.
If you would rather not use either the Broderbund PDF Converter or Creator, or if you experience problems while trying to use the Broderbund PDF Converter or Creator, you can use any PDF printer driver which is installed on your computer.

CutePDF Writer, which can be downloaded for free by clicking on the link below

CutePDF Writer

and which is Vista and Windows 7 ready (for both the 32-bit version and the 64-bit version), is a popular alternative to the Broderbund PDF Converter/Creator.

Even though the cutepdf.com web site specifically says that a PS2PDF converter such as Ghostscript is required, it is not actually necessary to download that PS2PDF converter separately. All that is actually necessary is to click on the 'Free Download' link to download the CuteWriter.exe file. Then, during the installation of CuteWriter.exe, you will be asked if you want to download and install the PS2PDF converter. When you say YES, the download and install of the PS2PDF converter will be automatically performed during the installation of CuteWriter.exe.

NOTE: The 'Save As PDF' option works ONLY with the Broderbund PDF Converter for WinXP and with the Broderbund PDF Creator for WinVista and Windows 7. So, if you do decide to use a PDF Converter other than the Broderbund PDF Converter or Creator, your only option will be to use the Print to PDF option described above.
I've run out of steam for the day. I've printed your instructions and I'll go at it tomorrow. You do what you have to on your end and I'll let you know what happens tomorrow.
Ok....
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
When we clicked the email attachment, the screen shows "
When we clicked the email attachment, the screen shows " adobe reader could not open 'xxxjpeg' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example it was s… read more
Computer Technican,
I am trying to dowload some ebooks to my pc but have lost the
I am trying to dowload some ebooks to my pc but have lost the urllink(2).acsm.Is there anyway I can get it back or another way to download the ebooks without it.Thank you.… read more
technicalcat
technicalcat
I have been using Printmaster Gold 10 with Windows XP and
I have been using Printmaster Gold 10 with Windows XP and suddenly the choice of a pre-made cars won't download & the message indicates a loss of config. I'm willing to buy a new program but I don't w… read more
Diamond PC
Diamond PC
Stop searching for answers—
Last week I contacted you for help in installing Adobe Digital
Last week I contacted you for help in installing Adobe Digital (refer to case XXXXXXXXXX . After I downloaded my book and try to download it to my computer I get the following message when I try to dr… read more
Nick H.
Nick H.
Desktop Support Engineer,
I have had Print Shop III in the past but could not install
I have had Print Shop III in the past but could not install it in Windows 7 and I really liked it. Unfortunately all my invoices, cards, labels are in that program on my old computer. So I bought Prin… read more
I have PrintMaster 18.1 - I had PrintMaster18 but that stopped
I have PrintMaster 18.1 - I had PrintMaster18 but that stopped working because of a Runtime error, so I read that 18.1 would work with Windows 7 - so I purchased it. It is doing the same thing as 18 -… read more
Studying for Masters Degree in IT,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
When I try to download something, I get the message that I
When I try to download something, I get the message that I need to oinstall Adobe Reader to open the file. I download Adobe Reader X (10.01). Then I see that most all my desktop icons now have the Ado… read more
IT Consultant,
Just installed Windows 7 on my computer. Am running Printmaster
Just installed Windows 7 on my computer. Am running Printmaster 16 for my projects, which works fine except when I try to save projects as a pdf file. I get a bunch of error messages, and no other res… read more
Bernie
Bernie
Computer Support Specialist,
I paid for a book at BooksOnBoard, ard tried to set up the
I paid for a book at BooksOnBoard, ard tried to set up the download program by Google using Adobe Reader, but something went wrong. Order Number XXXXXXXXXX The book is "God's Problem by Bart D. Ehrman… read more
Molinari
Molinari
Computer Support Specialist,
CompTIA A+ Certification
I am now getting this eror message every time I try to download
I am now getting this eror message every time I try to download any picture attachment sent by email...adobe reader could not open file because it is either not a supported file type or because file h… read more
Joseph
Joseph
When i try to down load from my email it goes to adobe reader
When i try to down load from my email it goes to adobe reader 9.We get massage.We get massage doc because file type or file has been attached wasent correctly decoaded.… read more
Ansh P.
Ansh P.
System Analyst,
I have attachments sent to my yahoo account and can not open
I have attachments sent to my yahoo account and can not open the attached document. I am have downloaded 9.3 to open the attachment and the file continues to be unreadable. Please HELP!!!!! and be ver… read more
IT Consultant,
Stop searching for answers—
hello; cannot open a file Teal--DBB.pdf sent as an attachment
hello; cannot open a file "Teal--DBB.pdf" sent as an attachment from a known party. Tried to open the 1/11/2010 DBB using Internet explorer. Got the message " File does not begin with % PDF-- Tried to… read more
IT Consultant,
when i click on an icon to go to a web site-i get a window
when i click on an icon to go to a web site-i get a window that says the file could be damaged or it is not correctly decoded.The person in live chat said this was a fixable problem.HOW??????… read more
Joseph
Joseph
I am in need of software to correctly format and design greeting
I am in need of software to correctly format and design greeting cards for commercial sale. I've been using Publisher, but it's very limited and I'm told Adobe is the best and what everyone uses. I ju… read more
Hardware Engineer,
I received a new computer and loaded home/office outlook 2007.
I received a new computer and loaded home/office outlook 2007. The problem is when i receive documents, the default setting to open the file is a program called NERO 9. I do i change the default setti… read more
Computer Software Engineer,
i am trying to open a vista , micro soft office word file in
i am trying to open a vista , micro soft office word file in adobe acrobat version 8.1.2 .When i try to open the file the following message appear" Adobe reader could not open "xyz.docx (it is the fil… read more
IT Consultant,
Adobe reader could not open kirks mobile numbers ipd because
Adobe reader could not open kirk's mobile numbers ipd because it is either not a supported file type or because file has been damaged (for example,it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correct… read more
John D
John D
Bachelor Degree in Engineering